what weapons are legal to carry?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Levi, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Levi

Levi New Member

I know that it differs in many areas, but for the most part what weapons are legal? I prefer the walking stick. Are swords legal to carry in the USA? what about Bo's?
    :woo: guns are legal in some areas, i believe, but for the most part you need a permit.
    ARe sai's and nunchuckus legal?

2. FuJau

FuJau Banned Banned

I hear scotalnd is going to ban swords completely :cry:

3. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

I walk with a bo staff around the city (Philadelphia) sometimes and have never gotten in any sort of trouble for it. I think people might be suspicious though if you'd carry a large unconcealed bladed weapon.

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

bo: you're probably getting away with it because it looks like a big walking stick.

swords: always good to check local and state laws, but they seem to generally be prohibited. They are by case law in PA. So are nunchuckau (It's NOT "nunchucks"!), and pretty much mopst MA weapons. You can own them, you can transport them to and from class, but you can't carry them around on the street. Check your local laws as it may vary. Some states require "criminal intent" (intent to use illegally), while in others it's illegal to simply be in possession of them.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hey, anyone asks, your bo IS a walking stick.

6. xen

xen insanity by design

don't forget though, whatever you're allowed to carry in your part of the world, use a weapon without due cause or as an over-reaction and you may escape the fight only to land yourself behind bars.

avoiding trouble saves the bother of dealing with trouble (both at the time and in the weeks and months that follow).

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Given that a bo is (by definition) 6 feet in length, I'm not convinced you'd get away with the walking stick excuse. You might be able to pass off a jo as a idiosyncratic walking stick, but even so, any copper's going to take one look at you and wonder why you're carrying a quarterstaff round the streets.

As I understand it (so it may be different in the states and/or I may be wrong) it's illegal to carry anything with the intention of using it as a weapon. So if the prosecution can prove that you had an item prepared for use as a weapon, then you're in trouble. That's why you can have a sharpened screwdriver confiscated, but workmen are still allowed to carry their tools - it's all about context.

8. Ho-Am Warrior

Ho-Am Warrior New Member

For $150, a background check, and some firearms training you can carry a pistol, asp, or stun gun as a concealed weapon in Florida. Military are exempt from the training part. As far as the Bo is concerned it isn't illegal to carry a weapon around in plain sight. There was a recent incident in St Petersburg where a resident confronted officers with a sword. Lets just say he brought a sword to a gun fight.

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Check local laws. Some require intent, some require nothing more than mere possession. It's confusing, hence the need to check as the standards differ from state-to-state.

10. Levi

Levi New Member

what about sai's or nunchucku? I belive in my state, its illegal to carry a blade of anytype that is over 6 inches?

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And you live where, Levi?

12. Ho-Am Warrior

Ho-Am Warrior New Member

Section 790.06 (1), Florida Statutes, defines concealed weapons or firearms as those carried in a manner that conceals them from the ordinary sight of another person. This includes:

handguns
    electronic weapons or devices
    tear gas guns
    knives
    billies

13. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

Exactly.

Mine is 5'8". It's not really a bo, but it was before I trimmed it for kung fu.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I WAS KIDDING!!

I suppose if you lived somewhere there was lots of hiking you could call a bo a walking staff.

15. PeterG

PeterG Valued Member

Massachusetts is really strict, you need a permit even to possess a regular shotgun.

16. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

For awhile I was considering carrying an extendable baton on me because I live in a dangerous neighborhood, but then I found out it's illegal where I live to carry them. That made me angry, because I can walk down the street with a baseball bat but I can't walk around with a legit self defense weapon.

And yes, I know to only use weapons in a lethal situation. I was only planning to use it if someone pulled a knife or a club on me.

From my understanding nunchaku are banned everywhere in the US, besides training purposes. This is because if you killed someone with them the marks it leaves look too much like other weapons, such as a club, staff, baton, etc.

Sais are more than likely banned to walk around on the streets with. Personally, I don't see why you'd think you would be able to pull out a sai and be able to proficiently use it in a street situation. Most smart people would just kick it/knock it out of your hand. Especially if all you know is the TKD flipity flip material.

17. Levi

Levi New Member

IowA

18. Levi

Levi New Member

TKD isnt the only thing I know, my friend.
    Sai's could be very effective in street fighting if you know how to use them.

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

For everyone else...

Bookmark THIS:

http://www.packing.org/state/

It has a state-by-state detailing of gun and weapons laws. US, Canada, and Mexico. One caveat, some of his stuff is a bit out-of-date, but it's a good start.

20. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nice link GC :)

Might be useful in a Sticky thread I've been planning for the past year or so :eek: