what weapon would/do you carry with you?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Kobudo-man, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

so, we all know the mentality of everyday objects being weapons. I'm wondering which of these "everyday weapons" do you regularly carry on you that you think would be most effective for self-defense? Also, which would you think would be ideal even if you don't carry it on you generally.

Personally, for my realistic choice, I'd have to say either a pen or a jacket. I'm generally carrying around 1 if not both of them, and both can be very effective in a fight. In fact, we had our hanshi (a general in law enforcement ((I believe))) give a class where he described 10 ways to kill a man with a pen. Fun times.

And ideally, I think I would choose to have a glass bottle on me. It's decently weighted, and gives some protection for self defence purposes. The only issue with that is I generally have a coke or dr. pepper in hand more than a beer or cream soda:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. mafoota

mafoota Skidoosh

A bunch of keys. Although in the UK you aren't supposed to carry anything with the intention of defending yourself. I also carry a 'legal carry' penknife (non-locking, slip joint, sub 3" blade) but that would stay firmly in my pocket. I'd never use it, I have too much to lose.

I think the best weapon is the willingness to back down and walk away. Unless someone hurts my wife or kids, then I would probably freak right out.

3. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

I agree, the best solution is to not be in a fight. I'm talking about those times where that isn't an option. Surrounding, dead ends, protecting someone etc. Also, I'm not talking about carrying with the intent to defend, I'm talking about carrying something for general uses and it happens to also be good for defending.

4. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Pepper spray. Sometimes a black assisted open locking tanto, legal size. On the way to jail many years ago [lawl], I asked the cop what was considered legal to carry for self-defense. He said the ease of which one can breach the limit of lethal force laws with a knife makes them a less efficient candidate for carrying. Pepper spray was the best because it's non-lethal, can effect multiple attackers, and renders them blind long enough for you to safely escape.

5. mafoota

mafoota Skidoosh

In that case I hope my self defence is up to scratch and I can get my car key out of my pocket quick enough to jab it in a soft painful spot.

Pepper/cs gas is mondo illegal here but maybe a little sachet of hot chilli sauce smeared into the eyes might put them off.

6. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

The car key is more handy if its in the ignition and you hit them with the car bumper, especially in Trevethin!!!!

7. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

Got a set of keys, good as just something to hit someone with.
    Also carry my box knife, and a regular pocket folding knife.

Then there's lefty and righty. :)

8. mafoota

mafoota Skidoosh

And especially after last week's murder up there!

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Same as everyone else: My house keys, I keep my hands in my pockets all the time anyway out of habit so they'd probably be the only everyday thing I'd use thinking about it. I havn't got the guts to stab someone so my knife and a pen is a no no, I remember reading a book and one of the characters used his phone as a weapon, it weas one fo the older models with the stubby ariels so that was an interesting idea.
    Off the top of my head I can imagine a normal can or plastic bottle might work if you figured out how to use it, crunching the can first for instance, but I think in the time it'd take and the chance of success I'd rather kick em in the groin and be done with it.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

My false leg contains a hive of wild African Bees that I've trained to attack on command.

11. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

A can of baked beans and some chilli sauce mixed in. Can clear a room if not a house instantly.

12. Atre

Atre Valued Member

I reckon that can of Dr. Pepper could be a serious weapon... Trick is not to open it. Then it's a heavy lump of metal with sharp ends.

Throw that at someone full pelt, knock 'em out, break ribs, god knows... OUCH

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Best thing it to offer them it with a smile, saying the words "What's the worst that could happen?" Then shoot them in the face!:rolleyes:

14. komuso

komuso Valued Member

I tend to rely on boring peole to death myself.

Has a lot less moving parts involved, isn't at all messy, and I get all of the practice I need at work (uni lecturer....). No one can withstand me in full flow,I have loads of practical experience to back me up. Whole rooms asleep in minutes.

paul

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

weapons are always around us. it's up to you if you know how to spot one and use it.

on me right now are:
    keys,
    two metal bodied pens,
    hot coffee in tumbler,
    some pepper flakes (i carry always for my meals out),
    two mobile phones,
    a belt,
    my metal watch,
    a wooden massage stick (ok, i'll admit that this is a traditional filipino weapon but it's great when you're stressed at work or in long trips),
    some medicated oil (i sometimes rub on my hands. works great when you smear on someone's eyes),
    a metal pocket flashlight (admitted, it had a "defensive crown" but i used to do well enough with a normal metal pocket torch),
    a coin wallet and
    a pocket knife.

given that the pocket knife is really a weapon, i carry it as a tool primarily.

as my teacher once said: "the greatest weapon you have is your mind"

p.s. i do have a permit to carry a pistol and i do so when i travel to a "bad place" in the countryside.

p.p.s. i live in the philippines so some of your weapon laws (actually most of them) do not apply here.

16. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Note to self: do not tangle with shootodog! :D

17. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Shooto,

what are folks in the Philippines allowed to carry? My arnis teacher talks about knives being carried around fairly openly, but is that strictly legal?

just curious

paul

18. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

My question is which would you go for first in the case of self-defense shootodog, any preference?

I thought of a belt, in fact I really like the idea of a belt if I could get it undone quickly enough.

19. blackxpress

blackxpress Valued Member

Good Lord!:bang:

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

knives yes. no permit needed. anything larger like pistols and shotguns need permits if you carry outside your property.

in the countryside, people carry bolos and itaks around all the time. doesn't raise any eyebrows.