What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

" A Prophet" in the theater;it was very good,and probably the best prison film I've ever seen.

"Hard Revenge Milly" on DVD.It was enjoyable,but not the most serious sci-fi actioner I've seen.

"WXII" was a Patlabor anime.Great artwork,but very slow moving.In the end it was like "The Host".

2. threedrunkduck

threedrunkduck New Member

Iron Man 2
    nightmare on elm street

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

'Mona Lisa'.

Classic British gangster film from way back when. A very gritty walk on the sleazy side of life, with superb central performances from Bob Hoskins and Cathy Tyson; plus Michael Caine being Michael Caine, but probably doing it better than anyone else could!

My only gripe with it is that nearly all the extra playing streetwalkers look just like extras playing streetwalkers, which always seems to be the case in any film you see. Is it like the hardest role to play or something??!!

4. Muawijhe

Muawijhe Dreams of Madness

Iron Man 2 - Saw it on Saturday, and found my money well spent. As far as sequels go, it stands well in comparison to the first. It had good moments where the first film had good moments, and had bad moments where the first had bad moments (such as the anti-climactic end fight scene). Special effects were a step up, though I started to feel a bit overwhelemd by them at the end of the film.

Really no additional character development, and the badguys continue to use Stark's technology to build suits to face him. But the one-liners and classic Stark attitude from the first film is back, and again delivered well by Robert Downey Jr. Scarlett Johansson was there to provide some pants-tightening on-screen action for the guys, though added little else (I must say, I liked her red hair over the blonde).

I think personally Don Cheadle stepped in to fill the roll left by Terrence Howard pretty well, despite my predilictions of him doing otherwise, though I wish they'd gone into his character a tad more.

Mickey Rourke was great as Ivan Vanko, though after a while the film's direction seemed to stop caring on any depth to his character, and he became another vengeance consumed bad guy. At least he did it with a sense of style before the poorly written end.

Sam Jackson reprised his role as Nick Fury, and was littered throughout the film in, I believe, an attempt to help further solidify and push on the Avengers movie. That said, stick around through the credits again for another short teaser of things to come.

All in all, it was a solid sequel (something that is ever a rarity). Not better than the first, but not really worse, either. If you enjoyed Iron Man, and can go in with an open mind, you'll easily enjoy Iron Man 2. If you haven't seen the first one, you'll be missing the origin story, but there's no direct plot continuation so you can probably make it through just fine.

Enjoy, and thanks for reading! :hat:

5. Muawijhe

Muawijhe Dreams of Madness

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010 remake) - I'm not a fan of remakes. I'm really not. Once in a while, when properly done, I believe they can add something to the cinema scene as a whole. But that is rare. That said, I went into director Samuel Bayer's (who directed a bunch of music video collections for a whole slew of artists) remake of the 1984 classic with much skepticism.

However, I was impressed how it was handled. I wouldn't say it was a good remake, but I can see how it updated it for a new generation (that by-and-large doesn't watch anything older than they are). The cast got slaughtered using new digital technology, though I'd have preferred some more imaginative and gory death scenes, as was a staple of the Nightmare series.

The plot wasn't changed too drastically, and offered what you needed to know to understand the series and Freddy (though it did get a bit confusing, not form depth, but just lack of solid direction in the writing). Having seen the original, I saw nothing new or noteworthy, but it didn't detract fully. It seemed to honestly care about making a decent remake rather than cashing in on a quick buck (though they could have done better, at least it stands somewhat apart from other remakes recently).

Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen, Bad News Bears) does a great job lending his personal talent to the role of Freddy. He can't ever replace Robert Englund, but he did do well. I think his voice was pushed a bit much, and he didn't quite have the psychotic humour that the original Freddy had, but it sure seemed to do the trick. Plenty of teenage girls were screaming and yelping through the film, clinging protectively to the arms of their oh-so-macho boyfriends. But that's classic horror film, and in that, the new Nightmare succeeded.

The rest of the cast contained relative unknowns, who did their job as teens about to get slaughtered. None of the characters came off as annoying to me, and I even felt a little remorse when some of them were slived up by Freddy's blades. Rooney Mara, who played Nancy Holbrook, carried the protagonist's roll as a demure, shy, and troubled girl whose life only got worse when a crazy dream haunting psycho starts stalking her and murdering her friends.

All in all, a decent remake. Nothing special, but nothing thrown together to make a quick buck. If the original is a treasured memory in your mind, don't go see this, because you know it can't replace the original. If you haven't seen the original, and don't like 80's films, then this is a great intro into the series and you shouldn't be too disappointed.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Zombieland - so good I went out and bought it on Blu-ray straight after and watched it again. A quality movie in all respects. Script, acting, casting, direction, effects, humour, story and originality (hard to do in a genre like the zombie movie).

Really whet my appetite for "World War Z". :)

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Last night I watched the Firm (not the one tom cruise) It's a british movie from 2009, It was crap. Some weird version of Green Street really. I also watched Untraceable which I found very entertaining, It's about someone good on the internet, killing people in a live stream, and the fbi are trying to trace him down/shut him down. Good movie, refreshing from the usual crap I watch! :p

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No offence to anyone who enjoys superhero films, but personally I find it a bit depressing that all these good actors are appearing in a film like that. It seems like such a waste of their talents. (But I suppose it pays the grocery bills.)

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I watched myself 'Year One' extended edition last night. I need not have bothered... :(

10. oldyonkyu

oldyonkyu Valued Member

Watched "Little Big Man" the other night. Good Movie.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Avatar in 3-D and Lawrence of Arabia.....

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

'Volver' by Pedro Almodovar. First one of his films I've seen and I really enjoyed it. Superb central performance by the unbelievably HOT Penelope Cruz. :love:

13. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

Batman Begins- Awesome Movie

14. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

You make it sound like acting is an honorable hard working job. Lol

15. Topher

Topher allo!

Capitalism: A Love Story.

Pretty disgusting!

16. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Clerks 2 :D

17. CrowZer0

Last night watched Undisputed 3, scott adkins is simply amazing, very entertaining fight scenes. Loved it!

18. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

They made a third? Will have to check it out, loved the first two Undisputed movies.

19. CrowZer0

This one was my favourite, Boyka now in the rolae as a protagnosit, trying to be a fighter again recovovering from his snapped Knee, a lot more fights this time, a lot more fighters, represneting different prisons from over the world! Some of the action had me glued to the screen. :p

20. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Robin Hood.

One word: Epic.