What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep, I love those days off around Christmas and New Year. :D

axelb likes this.
  2. aikiMac

Watched "Solo," the recent Han Solo Star Wars movie. I expected it to be bad, perhaps just a good "B" movie. I was wrong. It's actually quite good, period.

I don't think anyone could have done a better Han Solo than this guy, and Chewie, of course, is Chewie. (I want a Chewie! I want to hug a Wookie!) I did not know that Woody Harrelson has a major roll in the movie. He was fantastic.

My only complaint is that at the very end, there should have been an extra 3 minutes of Han and Chewie getting started on their new life together, and tracking down Lando. They go from stranded in the desert, no ship of their own, no supplies of their own, with only whatever money is in their pockets, to finding Lando on a lush tropical planet. (shrug) Huh? I want to see the smuggler get started in his life of smuggling, alone, just him and Chewie. We know how they fell into the life -- they were following Woody Harrelson. But now Woody is gone, and they're alone. How'd they get started?

Anyway, I liked it. Here's why I think it bombed at the box office: the trailer. The trailer did not present the movie that I watched. It pitched a different movie, and that's why I expected this movie to suck. Shame on the trailer guys. They ruined everything.

cloudz likes this.
  3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Snap, last movie I watched too. It was really enjoyable!

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Alita: Battle Angel. Robert Rodriguez (dir.) and James Cameron (prod.) have made an absolute cracker here. I loved the original 90s anime it was based on, so I was keen to point my peepers at the live-action adaptation when I first saw the trailer last year. 9/10.

5. Susan11

Susan11 New Member

Supernatural. I like this film Try it!

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I don't know if I mentioned it. But I watched Battle Angel Alita when it came out couple weeks ago.

Quick summary: Super distance/alt reality where the privileged live in a semi floating city. Everyone else lives on the ground level and barely scrape by.
    Cyborgs are the norm. A Doctor, who is also a bounty hunter at night (to keep his free clinic open) finds a female robot head with an intact brain inside. Repairs and recovers her. Adventure with fight scenes, and coming of age (almost visually/literally) storyline ensues. Theres a roller-derby type sport also wedged into the film.

Visually, it is beautiful. There is the odd floating head moments, but that is forgivable, as I was watching it on a IMAX 4DX screen.
    But it was very muddled in the middle for me. But gaining a lot of high praise by others.

I have always mentioned, one of my favourite storylines is the Motorball story arc. If you can, try and get these books (quick google etc)

As a MAist and also kungfu film ultra geek. And also if you love sci-fi. You will definately hit whatever marks you have.

Alita (spoilers) has a specific fighting style. Called "Panzer Kunst", something I knew I would giggle to, when said out loud.
    Anyway, the Motor-Ball is full of cyborg martial artists, all going around a track, holding onto a metal ball. And there are no rules in regards to physical contact and you can kill your opponent.
    Hence, what happens, is that you got these fast-skating robots, all shouting out Martial Art moves...the commentators are describing what the moves are and where they came from, like Joe Rogan or Michael The Voice Schaevelli.
    It reminded me of a very Shaw Bros style action. And simple to follow..complete with a near indestructible champion with super moves.

All of that was NOT in the film.

I understand, that there is only so much a 2hr film can cram from 6 novels worth of story and comics.
    But it felt all over the place.

In the end however, I would place this amongst the Stallone Dredd and Reeves' Constantine of comic book adaptations. Basically - kinda rubbish - but kinda enjoyable.

7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Bohemian Rhapsody. It is a good movie, but far from 100% historically correct.

Small Foot - also entertaining.

Had a couple of long flights last week and I watched both on the planes

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Venom

Tom Hardy is in it, which is a good start. Not one of his meatier roles, but he's a good fit for the character.
    Venom though absolutely steals the show, there's a nice comedic back and forth between the two.
    Perhaps we'll see him again in a group outing as I think that would work well.

Cool visuals and fights scenes; not the greatest but a good marvel film nonetheless. 7.5/10

9. aikiMac

Watched "Captain Marvel" last night with the children. We all said the same thing: Bull. Boring. Waste of money. Unquestionably the weakest Marvel movie.

And we all said the same thing: There was never any tension in the movie. We never felt danger in the movie. We never felt scared for the characters, as in, "Oh, no! The bad guys are coming! A million people are going to die! What will the heroes do?"

Jude Law kept telling Marvel over and over and over again to control her emotions. Um, excuse me, Jude, but, she had no emotions. At all. Throughout the entire movie, she never showed any emotion. She deadpanned the entire movie, so all this talk about emotions was ... well, it was so out of place, I started to wonder if the editor accidentally mixed up his editing, and put Jude Law in the wrong movie.

The writers were obviously trying to create a female Captain America, what with all of the dream flashbacks to little-girl Carol falling down all the time. But unlike in the Captain America movie, there was no scene context. We have no idea of the context of her falling down repeatedly, so we can't feel anything for her. So whereas when skinny Steve Rogers grows muscles and then charges into a POW camp, we feel emotion. We know exactly why he is charging into the POA camp. We know what's going on in his head. We've been sold the character. But we know practically nothing about Carol Danvers' history: Why did she want to join the Air Force? How did she join the Air Force? How did she get to be a test pilot? Why did she fall down so much?

And the worst part is, I watched this movie only because I didn't want to miss out on something important for the upcoming End Games. And you know what? There is nothing important in this movie. It's unnecessary to the flow of the Avenger movies. Remember, the Avengers are unaware of Captain Marvel, so they have to be introduced to her powers anyway.

(sigh) So disappointing.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah, Captain Marvel is just overhyped feminazi propaganda. Utter drivel. Brie Larson was awful, and such a chip on her shoulder.

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Do you often use words popularized by right wing talk show host Rush Limbaugh? Are you a fan of his? Are you a "ditto head?" Just wondering because I didn't have you pegged for one before. Inquiring minds want to know.

12. Mushroom

I thought Capt Marvel was a solid "middle" amongst the Marvel franchise. Not as good as Winter Soldier but not as bad as Thor Dark World.

I've only seen it the once, on IMAX and I may need a 2nd viewing. It's fun at times. Jude Law is at a stage where he just pretty much hams up a scenery when he wants.

When you ignore the political baggage this film carries, it's OK. And its a superhero film, aimed at girls with power blasts, strong enough to shoot down spaceships. I personally have no issues with that.

I can nit pick the film, but there are plenty of flaws in all films, so it's no different.

However:
    - I hate how that, this is showing the loss of Nick's eye. Alien cat scratch. Utter rubbish. In the Ultimate Marvel Universe, it was clawed off by Wolverine during a unknown event.
    - They will need to explain why Nick didn't call for Captain Marvel during Loki's New York attack. Assume this will be addressed in Endgame.
    - Cap Marvel was never ever in danger. She can easily overpower everyone. And I understand, that she doesn't because she is told she can't. Being held down by a authority figure, don't be full of emotion etc, a clear metaphor for struggling women...but still.
    - She feels, like there is no connection to Earth. Character wise, she comes down and has a bit of memory jog in a bar. I think they could have explored that a bit more. Music, Love, Family. It makes it seem that Carol Danvers did nothing but hang out with her mate and didn't know how to climb a rope. There was no confliction of staying behind and explore Carol Danvers' history and look for the people she has lost...and more than happy to just leave and somehow not age for 30 years.
    - Ben Mendolson's sort of Vinny Jones' accent is terrible.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'd never heard of Rush Limbaugh until you mentioned his name and had to Google him, so no, not a fan. My opinion is based on the fact that the film was poor and is being overhyped. Its feminist content is obvious, almost to the point that Larson may as well have broken the fourth wall and stated, "Look everyone, this film is making a point against the patriarchy." Larson's performance was poor and she's well known for her politial standpoints. None of that makes me some right wing conservative parrot.

14. aaradia

No, none of your critiques of the film do that, but all that could have been said (as you did right here) without resorting to the right ring term for putting down feminists that you used. A term brought into popularity by Limbaugh. Can't really use that term without the association to his fan base, like it or not. Just so you know.....

If you associate with that term, you are going to be associated with a lot of things that I don't think you would like. At least by Americans on here.

Using that term is what made you sound like a "right wing conservative parrot." (Keep in mind I am a centrist- not on the left or right when I tell you this.)

Feminazi - Wikipedia

p.s. I really have no interest in the film. Most interesting thing to me about Marvel (Ms or Captain) was that one of them was absorbed by my second favorite X-man- Rogue. ;) But I haven't really kept up on comic books in a long long time anyways.

15. Mushroom

We're all waiting for that to happen lol

16. aaradia

Is the incarnation in the movie Carol Danvers (I think it was) that had Rogue do that to her? There are multiple "Captain Marvel's- both male and female, right?

I was mostly an X-man and New Mutants comic book person. I read a smattering of a few others, but not a lot. Not like a bunch of my friends, who were much more into comic books. And the whole absorption thing was part of Scourge's back story by the time I was reading about it. Plus, I read them a long long time ago. So I am not too clear on the details.

BTW, a very large percentage of the instructors at my school are big time comic book geeks! My TCC instructor is more into DC though.

Edit- oh yeah, I was big time into the original Elfquest too! Now that would be a movie I would like to see made!

Mushroom likes this.
  17. Mushroom

Yes its the current Carol Danvers, Leader of the Avengers. No its not the "I kissed Rogue" version, with the singlet and mask, they dont even have a little hint of it. In fact, apart from it being a Superhero movie, I dont remember any references to the comics.

Yes Capt Marvel was more of a designation as time went by. I thought Jude Law was going to be Mar-Vell and be in a 'pass the torch' role, but no, they kinda re-jiggled that too.

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

That guy was an amazing Han. Movie was a solid OK from me, it's one of the few non-OT Star Wars flicks I can see myself rewatching.

In other news, I saw a movie that like... no one saw. Annihilation was freakin' incredible. Out of this world good. Best sci fi flick I've seen in years, and good, high brow sci fi.

Natalie Portman leads a team of female scientists to explore an anomaly. Think Brothers Strugatsky and the Roadside Picnic "zone." Everything inside is mutated somehow, altered. Creatures and plants start swapping and sharing DNA. Time seems to disappear and fade. People's memories become suspect.

I haven't had so much respect for a sci fi flick since maybe... shoot, I don't even know - 2001 A Space Odyssey is the film that comes to mind. Alien. Terminator. The movie was just great writing, great premise, great special effects, great aesthetics, one of the most horrifying monsters brought to cinema, everything seemed to line up on this one except the audience, making the film a complete flop.

Oh well.

cloudz likes this.
  19. GaryStevens

GaryStevens New Member

Avengers. It was impressed me greatly. I am waiting for the last part!

20. aaradia

Just got back from seeing "The Public" with some co-workers.

So, if you DON'T work in a library, I wouldn't go see it. I enjoyed it because I DO work in a library. I am glad I went, and I had fun on an outing with my fellow library workers but it wasn't very good. Too contrived. Too many false things set up to make the plot go forward. If one reading this does work there, well, you should see it.

Some of the minor parts were fun and were realistic. Like the parts showing the sorts of questions that get asked. And the lesser crazy things that happened. Yeah. Many of us have been told we get to sit around and read all day! LOL! I wish that were true, but it isn't!

Spoilers of a couple of those things were below.

1. Lawsuit settled for big money and people's jobs on the line for asking a smelly patron to leave due to hygiene issues. Fact is, this happens all the time. It is done with compassion and with handouts on where to go, along with mentioning they are welcome back when the situation is resolved. Someone might sue, but they wouldn't get far with the suit. And no one would be asked to resign over it. NOT realistic.

2. Don't care how big you are, those bookshelves are too heavy to move. Besides, I know ours are bolted to the ground. I am sure most libraries have them bolted as well.

3. Quoting books if fine, but the main character really botched his chance to GET THE MESSAGE of the situation across clearly. Eh, actually I could see that happening.