What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Y'know, I think one of the strengths of Dunkirk was that it wasn't overly Hollywood-ized. You compare it to Saving Private Ryan and it was relatively tame in terms of spectacle and combat. But you're right, tension and despair were present through the entire movie.

Chimpcheng likes this.
  2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I originally wrote a few sentences about 'Saving Private Ryan' in which I described how 'Ryan' gets all Hollywood after the opening Invasion of Normandy scene, but I then deleted it, but I agree, in comparison, 'Ryan' was more a Hollywood spectacle, but does manage reigns in it, unlike, say, 'Pearl Harbour', which essentially became 'Star Wars' along the way.

'Dunkirk' was a powerful film.

philosoraptor likes this.
  3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I know my mum cried after watching Dunkirk. My grandfather was there and survived, but his best friend was killed next to him. She said it really brought home what they went through waiting to be rescued. I was expecting it to be much more 'Hollywood' than it was, so was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

philosoraptor and Chimpcheng like this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't usually do Marvel films, except Guardians of the Galaxy, but after me and my girlfriend both had black friends tell us how they were kind of stunned at seeing the first 20 minutes of a tentpole popcorn movie without any white people, and the amount of outrage in the American right wing press, I wanted to see it as a cultural zeitgeist kinda thing. By the way, most ridiculous quote from the media has to go to Ben Shapiro: "Blade wasn't enough?". Totally bonkers.

As far as superhero movies go it was better than most for me, just because it didn't end with a big battle around a doomsday device built by a one-dimensional bad guy "just because".

A good lesson for the US in there too: political systems have to adapt to social and technological advancement!

philosoraptor and axelb like this.
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Found Black panther pretty underwhelming to be honest. Pretty standard but unremarkable (apart from the black cast) flick.
    But then I also think superhero movies are a bit of a spent force and we need a good 10 years of no super hero movies at all IMHO.

Hannibal and David Harrison like this.
  6. David Harrison

I'd definitely agree with that!

It wasn't a great film, but at least the plot revolved around characters and motivations, which is an improvement on a lot of superhero films.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

This is technically true, but, "I want to be king!" is not very different than "just because."
    I liked everything about the movie except the villain -- because he was one-dimensional.

8. David Harrison

I thought it was more like "I want to give the world what my own people denied me".

9. aikiMac

There was some of that, true, but he went about it by killing the king (or so he thought) and destroying the home-country's culture (eg, a coup on the government, burn all the magic flowers). That kinda erases his noble intentions of sharing new technology with the world. One of the characters even said that he was taking over Wakanda the way he was trained to bring down other countries.

He was essentially a Batman character brought in out of nowhere, because no one except Batman could pose a real threat to the Black Panther. He was orphaned at a young age, and he spent the rest of his life training and preparing for revenge against the people who killed his father. And like Batman, his training was a bit unbelievable (eg, nobody gets accepted to Annapolis at age 15), except that, whereas Batman is motivated by saving people, this guy is motivated by the dream of killing the king so that he can be king. He said it during the waterfall fight: "I trained my whole life for this fight." And that is what makes him a cookie-cutter one-dimensional villain. (shrug)

10. David Harrison

Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a profound character study or anything, but he had 2 dimensions. That's one more dimension than the usual super villain.

11. aikiMac

LOL, I still don't see it, but maybe I'll see it when I get there again. Netflix is being slow about it, but I'm trying to watch all the Marvel movies in chronological order.

12. CamToolin

CamToolin New Member

Deadpool 2!!

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Watched Passengers couple nights ago. Good film for me 7/10
    2 travellers to a far off planet get woken up mid flight, just in time to save the light year..

14. Coleg

Coleg New Member

Watching Fast and Furious again, a very enjoyable movie series.

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I watched "If I stay" yesterday.
    Interesting movie, I admittedly only watched due to an actor, but was pleasantly surprised.
    Won't make it to my favorite movies, but I'm glad to have watched it.

"Finding Dory".
    Cute.
    Just that.
    Baby Dory was disgustingly cute :D
    And I loved the thing with the shells and how her parents collected them, once they were outside.
    I liked the first movie and I like this one.
    I think it's very well made and has it's "life lessons" included in a way, that it's rather obvious but not obnoxious.
    Either way - I enjoyed.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

While my wife and kids are away visiting family I'm catching up on 'me' films. First up...
    Green room. Excellent film. More gory than I anticipated but all well done. Gets a bit strange at the end but well worth pointing your peepers at.

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It's a lot creepier than that. Lol..

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I finally watched SPLIT.

Which is M.Night. Shyamalan's 2nd film in a soon to be closed up trilogy.

3 girls get kidnapped by a man with 24 different personalities. Where none have any idea of what the other is doing. Most interesting about it, is the "physical change" of where one personality is called "The Beast".

Macoy, is great in it. You can nearly imagine what the different personalities were supposed to look like. And if it isn't CG, then he worked out hard for this.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Finally watched "Bright"...actually MASSIVELY enjoyed it...standard buddy cop odd couple movie stuff, but thought it was very well done with a nice fantasy splice

Solid 7/10

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Last movie I watched was...

Captain America: Civil War

It was also the first time I saw the movie

Dead_pool likes this.