What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"Batman: Gotham by Gaslight"
    Warner Brothers animation set in unspecified late 1800's Gotham (someone says in the movie "it's the 19th century"). A lot of the characters are the same: Bruce Wayne is rich and has a butler, Gordon is police chief, Hugo Strange works at Arkham Asylum, Harvey Dent is a prosecuting attorney. A few characters are different, though, e.g. Selina Kyle is a stage performer not a thief. It's maybe not the best DC movie but it was pretty good. It's not every story where the villain can repeatedly best Batman in hand-to-hand fighting.

axelb likes this.
  2. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I'm really late to the Star Wars party here but i feel the need to point out why it managed to capture people's imaginations...

It's about a young man confronting the crappy, abusive father that abandoned him. For a lot of people (particularly young men) that cuts very close to the bone and yet if it was an ultra gritty, realistic movie about fractured relationships it just wouldn't be palatable.

If you think about that context and watch Return of the Jedi you réalisé how powerful it is, particularly when Luke himself comes close to the dark side AKA becoming an angry, violent sob himself. It's a path that many, many people have gone down themselves

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Just watched Avengers infinity war.

It did not disappoint! :D:eek::cool::)

Chimpcheng likes this.
  4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Finally got me some "Avengers Infinity War." Absolutely loved it right up until ...

... until on Titan when the team had Thanos' arms tied down and the bug girl was in his head, Star Lord could have and should have put a bullet or laser bolt or dagger or whatever into Thanos' eyeball. The guy who is trying with all his might to literally kill half of the population of every single planet is now defenseless. But nooo, instead Star Lord chose to have a looooong conversation, giving Thanos time to escape. Grrrr!!!

And then on Earth, Thor did the same thing! Instead of pulling his axe out of Thanos' chest and striking a second time -- or better yet, a continuous rain of blows -- Thor instead chose to have a long conversation, giving the obviously-still-very-alive Thanos time to escape. Grrrr!!!
    That said, I absolutely loved the way the movie begins.
    And I was worried about how a new villain would be introduced into the movie universe, but the writers did a fantastic job with merging character histories to tell us who Thanos is, and why he's doing what he's doing.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I watched "Soul Surfer" yesterday.
    All in all a nice movie, even though personally the "God gave me strength" thing... it's absolutely awesome if that works for people!
    And for this girl (shark bit off her arm, but she continued to become a professional surfer; based on a true event) it obviously did work!
    But at times if felt to pushy. Which is weird, because they didn't make that much of a thing and it made sense as it was done!

Also watched "Tammy" a few days ago. (Needed some light entertainment, so I looked for comedies with actors I like).
    This movie made me realize, that Susan Sarandon is over 70 already :eek:
    And that grown-up scenes with old people, even only when hinted, isn't something I would need any clearer :D

"Two weeks notice".
    I usually don't like romantic comedies (and yet I also watched "The Proposal" :D ), but I chose my movies by actors; especially when I want something easy.

And it actually was fun! Both.
    Sandra Bullock never really seems to destroy a movie.

Also watched "Ten way to lose a guy in ten days" or something. Matthew McConoughey.
    That was ... hm, sort of okay, but nothing special and nothing, I need to watch again.

"Sweet Home Alabama"
    Was okay.
    Easy fun.

Which is what I am looking for at the moment.
    Nothing sophisticated, nothing too foolish, just something with some laughs, that aren't totally lame and that you can watch, when being with your mind somewhere else.
    For this, these worked.

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Pointed my rods and cones at 'Deadpool 2' and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan it was glorious. Stacked full of quotable dialogue, and visual jokes, almost none of which can be reproduced on this here family forum. It's also jam packed full of Easter Eggs and plays complete service to long time comic book fans as there are some deeeeeeeeeeeeeep cuts in there.

Dead_pool, axelb and Van Zandt like this.
  7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Death Wish (2018 remake)

Being a bit of a fan of the original movie, I had high hopes for this Eli Roth helmed, Bruce Willis lead remake - None of which were realised I am afraid.

the fact that Kersey's 'education into darkness' was less hands on, and gained more from a selection of Youtube videos and armchair experts, detracted from the experience for me a little - Not sure why though, as that would probably be a lay persons more realistic choice these days.

Probably not one I'd choose to watch again on my own, but would be happy enough to sit through a 2nd veiwing, if it was with someone who'd never seen it before.

5/10

Travess

axelb likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Check out demolition man!!

One of the most fun 90's films around!

philosoraptor likes this.
  9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Speed was another 90s movie that was great cheesy fun.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Yeah, that was fun indeed. I should watch that at some point again, now that you mention it!

I somehow managed to actually never have seen that one, so far.
    No idea how, to be honest.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. philosoraptor

I've been rewatching FLCL and, it's not really a movie, but it's a really cute series about puberty, absurdism, growing up, etc., etc. Lots of comparisons to Evangelion, I think the same companies made them.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Solo: A Star Wars Story

My god this sucked so bad. It was an utterly pointless addition to the SW universe. It plodded along at a casual pace and I left the theatre thinking I'd flushed a £20 note down the toilet. Leave it 'til it's on Netflix.

13. philosoraptor

That bad? Jeez. What did you think of Rogue One out of curiosity?

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I went to see the 12.01 am showing on Thursday morning. I didn't think it was as bad as you say, but I won't be going to the IMAX version -that is normally my routine. I thought it was an OK action adventure, but there needed more plot and less action and I didn't care about the characters that much, and the ones I did start to like didn't get enough screen time. I wish they'd move away from making the droid the comic relief. It's getting old and embarrassing.

I thought Han was OK, and they didn't total screw up his back story. I will watch it again when it comes out on DVD, but it's not one I will rewatch frequently. I probably need to watch it again to form a better opinion though.

I loved Rogue One, by the way!

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

2001 has a limited release coming up, so I'm off to see that in a week or two.

I can't wait to see it on the big screen having only watched it on TV before. :)

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I did not know that, thanks for the heads-up!

Mitch likes this.
  17. philosoraptor

2001 is a rare film that managed to actually do... y'know, SCIENCE fiction. I've tried to get my fiancee to watch it a dozen times to no avail. Maybe this is the time.

With regard to Solo, man, I really wish that they'd let Tarantino direct a Star Wars film - Solo would have been perfect for it.

18. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the new Star Wars Solo film yet?

19. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

7 and 5 posts above this one ^^^

Travess

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Just watched "Solo"... it was pretty good. There were a lot of annoying little things, but overall worth watching.

The most recent batch of SW movies though, really aren't doing it for me like Episodes 1-6. Those are movies that I re-watch once a year and really get into. "Rogue One" was good... I liked the story and this is one I will re-watch once in a while. "The Force Awakens" was fun at first but doesn't hold up well for me as well on subsequent viewings. I really didn't like "The Last Jedi"... and a second viewing didn't help. I will keep watching SW movies but won't expect classics that are worth watching over and over anymore.

Monkey_Magic, Van Zandt and Jaydub like this.