What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

massive marketing campaigns help.

philosoraptor and David Harrison like this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

And merchandise!

Get kids playing with your toys and you've captured their imagination.

StooXex, Giovanni and philosoraptor like this.
  3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

So... let me put it this way, I don't think that it's a coincidence that it stuck with people, but a direct reflection of the work, its writing, and its execution. I think Star Wars changed the way we make and view movies, so... yeah, that makes it significant on some level both as a work in and of itself, and as a piece of history.

Yeah those were just awful.

Weird, I thought Rogue One was just awful.

David Harrison and Giovanni like this.
  4. Giovanni

i never said it was good. lol

please don't take any comment i make about this as being purposefully obstinate or contrarian.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    philosoraptor likes this.
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't make me come over there!!!!!

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Last Flag Flying

Set in early 2003, Carell, Cranston and Fishburne play Marine veterans who served together in Vietnam. They reunite after many years apart to assist Doc (Carell) in bringing his deceased son (also a Marine, who was KIA in Iraq) home to be buried. What follows is a journey that is both heartwarming, bittersweet, and hilarious. The chemistry between the three lead actors is so good that they genuinely act and talk like most salty old vets do. Cranston is particularly brilliant. Writers Richard Linklater (also the director) and Daniel Ponicsan clearly did their homework, as much of the dialogue mirrors the kind of bar room conversations my old army buddies and I have. The final scene with the letter is especially moving. 9 out of 10.

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  7. David Harrison

Your sad devotion to that ancient religion...

;)

Giovanni likes this.
  8. Giovanni

9. Giovanni

it can't be just me, but i thought vader's attempt to get the death star plans back in rogue one is probably the greatest single scene the franchise has ever done post first movie. i went with my two oldest boys, and the three of us jumped out of our seats when the lightsaber turned on in the darkened air lock.

axelb likes this.
  10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fallen

Bit of a classic from '98, Denzel Washington plays a cop trying to solve murders that bear an eerie resemblance to a killer he helped put away and be executed. The final twist at the end was really good. 7 out of 10.

11. David Harrison

I can see why fans love it, but doing the grunt work devalued Vader's character a bit for me. I realise I'm in the minority on that.

Still, a token bit of fan service at the end of the movie can't rescue the rest of it.

12. Hannibal

Actiallt it ties back sweetly to Ep4 if you think about it...Vader was a scary dude but not as high up as he was latterly

"Don't try and frighten us..." Etc

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It's not just you. :)

14. David Harrison

But he was still calling the shots and not getting his hands dirty unless it was something that he didn't trust to anyone else - interrogation, fighting Obi-Wan, making sure the Death Star wasn't blown up.

I saw him more as a Gestapo officer than an SS officer.

Like I said, I know all the fans screeched like excited toddlers when they saw him messing the rebels up. It just sullied the character I knew from the originals for me, but I'm used to Star Wars being sullied, and the audience these days want more of that kind of "BLAMMO!" thing, so it is what it is... I guess it has to be expected that the comic book movie aesthetic will inevitably bleed over to any big kids film (double entendre intended ;) ).

15. Hannibal

Well except he was under the command of Tarkin, was considered equivalent to the officer he choked (hence the disresepct) and he was always frontlining - he was on the blockade runner they caught, went down to Hoth and the Forest Moon...the fact he would go after the single most important piece of data that the Imperials had on their greatest weapon is not surprising in the least.

16. David Harrison

The first thing we see of him is his entrance to the blockade runner after the grunts have risked their lives and the smoke is clearing. That's how I think of him. Basically a Gestapo officer who has more important things to deal with than wading through firefights between inconsequential foot soldiers.

Anyway, I realise that the majority of fans loved it, so I'm not saying they should change it, it just doesn't fit into the universe as I understood it (coming from someone who hasn't seen Episode II or III, or whatever the last film was called, and hasn't bought any merchandise since the 1980's... so these films obviously aren't being made for me ;) ).

17. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Long weekend, so I pointed my peepers at a couple of movies:

Annihilation
    Based on the novel of the same name by Jeff VanderMeer, and directed by Alex Garland of 'Ex Machina' fame, this movie is one horrific mess. Some peeps are sent into a phenomenon known as 'The Shimmer', a place full of mutations (flora and fauna) and where previous teams were sent in and didn't fare too well. Some supposedly "thought provoking" stuff happens, but it's all very "I've seen this before but better".

1/5 stars

Justice League
    Never saw it at the cinema, after the "meh-ness" of 'BvS' and unfortunately it lived up to the mediocrity of that movie. It seemed to go for a more jokey tone à la Marvel, but completely failing to deliver.

However, it wasn't a complete mess. Batfleck was good (I really rate him as both Batman and Bruce Wayne), I love the DCU rendition of Wonder Woman, and Amy Adams (don't really need to qualify her ;) ).

2/5 stars

axelb likes this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Watched "Free-fire" last night. Was very entertaining but tricky to follow sometimes. Felt the antagonists could have been filmed/edited better to keep a clearer sense of where they were in the warehouse. And some of their motivations weren't too clear either. 7/10 though.

19. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Instead of, you know, training in Fu of the Kung kind, I directed by face towards more movies (damn you Netflix, Prime Video, and Now TV), and I saw myself:

Get Out
    This came highly recommended by a friend, and after reading the synopsis and non-spoiler type reviews, this seemed like my bag. Unfortunately, I will never take any future movie recommendations from this friend.

The movie was, for me at least (I know that it was very well received), was garbage. There was just no sense of horror, the racial tensions felt forced, and the twist could easily be guessed at within the first half of the movie.

I came away bitterly disappointed.

0.5/5 Stars

axelb likes this.
  20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

The Commuter
    Liam Neeson being angry on a train. Same people who did Non Stop (Liam angry on a plane) . So expect more of the same.
    Extensive fight scene at/near the end was kinda cool

Veronica
    Spanish speaking horror, apparently a true story which made people pass out/faint/walk out of the cinema....was completely "meh"
    Good and creepy moments, but overall not amazing.