what uses does nunchaku have?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by WOspidermonkey, May 3, 2004.

1. WOspidermonkey

WOspidermonkey New Member

I have heard that nunchaku originally was used for trapping arms, and legs and breaking bones. i see people smackin each other with the other ends all the time. if any one knows of real nunchaku uses please reply

2. Topher

Topher allo!

They were originaly a rice flail.

3. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Thats one plausible theory.....ther are many others though :D

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

5. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

True, but you can use them for whatever you want. If you want to break someone's arm, leg(kind of hard), or neck, then train for it. The people who hit with the tips probably haven't trained in breaking bones. Also, hitting just might be more effective. :cool:

6. sean

sean THOR!

The most controversial of the weapons of the Ryukyu but in essence the least properly explored. There are three types of this weapon taught in the Ryukyu Kobujutsu syllabus, the 2 section, 3 section and the 4 section. Made preferably of red or white oak, or a heavy wood, the sections are tapered from the chord end (2.5cm) to the predominant strike end (3.3cm).

History has not endowed this weapon with traditional kata as shown by the content of those handed down. They are by design training kata to enable better handling and combination work.

Impact should be on the tip of the weapon or it will bounce back on the user. Whilst it is noted that there is a farming implement of the Nunchaku design, it should be pointed out that again China was using this weapon concept long before it was recorded as a Ryukyu weapon.

-Sean

7. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

You could always choke someone out with them ^_^ Seriously though, smacking someone on a soft spot like under the nose, or the temple is sure to cause serious, possibly permanent damage. The human skull doesn't require that much force to crack.

8. madfrank

madfrank Valued Member

:)

no they werent they were part of a horses bit.

They are useless for street defence they were allegedly used against swords

Which i dont believe.

Theyre ok in films and in your back yard.

MF

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

i agree with tob, and he should know his stuff, being a 1st dan in Kobudo and all...

:)

10. Buddroux

Buddroux New Member

nunchaku can be used to hit block ... good for arm locks and stuff .... they can be used for all that ... not just one ...

11. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

Usless in streets and used against swords? I'd say they work great in the streets with proper training. The chain would have to actually be a chain, or something metal, to block against a sword, but also the sword is much longer range and a lot quicker.

12. John Sinclair

John Sinclair Valued Member

I would say that in the hands of a proficient user, they would be whatever that person wanted them to be.
    And yes I can confirm I have read about them originating from rice flails and from horses bit too. Although I'm not too sure what bit....

And as for there ability to do damage.. Not so long ago there was a martial arts exhibitoin in Paris I believe. There a chap was demonstrating nunchuka with a home made set.
    The set came apart and one of the sticks flew off into the audience where a man was struck on the head and died as a result of the injury.

13. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Myths surrounding Kiba dachi ....

As the resident horse & riding expert here, I'd say it is *highly* unlikely that they were used as a horse bit! The shape is all wrong and the mechanics would be wrong unless the horses ridden were the size of mamoths..... and I happen to know for a fact that they were a lot smaller than many we use today.

Also I'd like to disprove the theory surrounding kiba-dachi being a horse riding stance.

I've ridden hundreds of horses in my time and NONE of them - including the nearly 18hh monster clyde X I had a few years back that was bigger than anything else I've ever seen - has a back width as wide as the kiba dachi stance that is called "horse stance".

It's more like ELEPHANT stance in width IMHO. I suggest that someone made a mistake in translation, either than or they had some damn funny looking horses in Japan and rode them in ways that only I can guess.....

:rolleyes:

14. Kobudokai

Kobudokai New Member

From what I understand, the horse bit theory should be called the bit/bridle theory. The section of cord between the two wood peices were all that fit into the horses mouth, and the two wooden peices were curved and reached from the corner of the mouth (where the cord is) to the back of the head. From there they connected the tips to the reins of some sort.

I never really believed that they entire device was used in the horses mouth. as you said... that would have to be one MASSIVE horse!

I have no idea if my info is correct or not, because just about all info on this weapon is all hear-say. But i think this can give a little more credibility to the horse bit theory.

15. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I posted this on the other nunchaku topic that is running but it fits here too.

police and the nunchaku

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a truth.
    It used to be that many police departments issued Nunchakus to it's officers and provided them with limited training and sent them into the streets. The officers were shown how to utilize the weapon to it's full advantage which included many of the non striking properties of the nunchaku. Trouble was, their training was very short and not usually reinforced. So, when a situation arose where they needed to control or to subdue an arrest the officers would resort to striking only when a control technique would have been more effective. The striking of course did not always work to stop someone who was on crack or other such substances and that person had to be severely beaten with the flail in order to stop him. This resulted in a lot of crushed bones (bones crush and spinter when hit with a nunchaku they don't just break).
    The end result is that many departments have taken the nunchaku away from it's officers because they were missused too often.
    The moral of this story is that if you study the nunchaku study everything about it otherwise it will be taken away from you and you won't be able to play with it any more.

16. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

There are four main theories on the origins of the nunchaku:

1. It is derived from a grain flail.

2. It is derived from a horse bit.

3. It is derived from a tool used to peel the bark off of certain trees.

4. It is a weapon imported from China.

I've heard that several similar weapons have been developed from grain flails in other parts of the world, but these were usually much larger than nunchaku. I don't know enough about horse riding to assess number two, and I don't know enough about trees to assess number three. Personally, I believe the fourth theory. Tying two little sticks together to beat someone seems like a fairly simple invention.

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

to look cool when doing kata?

18. shinobi2002

shinobi2002 New Member

I agree!! Finally theres someone that talks with a sense then with nonsense as the majority. Keep it up GOJUMAN

19. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Thanks for noticing.

20. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Tosh

And tosh.

Nunchaku we're an imported idea from the Chinese Martial Arts. I refer (once again, on this same topic) to Master Wong Kiew Kit's book, "The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu".