What type of music do you like?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 7pm in Kyoto, Aug 27, 2015.

1. 7pm in Kyoto

7pm in Kyoto Valued Member

The question is simple really, what type of music would you say appeals to you the most?

Personally I'm into House, though I really like Classical, Indie Rock and Hip Hop too. Then again, I'd say I'm open to other types of music. In other words, I'll try new stuff from time to time.

When I was a kid my father played all kinds of electronica from the 70s and 80s, like Kraftwerk or Thomas Dolby. So I sort of dig that too due to the nostalgia.

Anyway, what do you like? What sort of music do you listen to whilst training
    If you want, leave band names or artists so other members can check them out. Here are mine for the categories mentioned above:

House:
    • Gorgon City
    • Satoshi Imano
    • Nero
    • Knife Party

Classical:
    • Mozart
    • Beethoven
    • Bach
    • Stravinsky
    • Wagner

Indie Rock:
    • The Wombats
    • The 1975
    • Arcade Fire
    • Artic Monkeys
    • Two Door Cinema Club
    • The Killers

Hip Hop:
    • Big L
    • Big Pun
    • Eazy E
    • Biggie Smalls
    • Eminem/Slim Shady
    • Guru
    • Gangstarr
    • Kool G Rap
    • Yung Lean (Though more for his music, his lyrics suck)
    • Kendrick Lamar
    • Dre
    • Chance The Rapper
    • Childish Gambino

I obviously listen to plenty of other bands, artists and groups though they're the ones that came to mind first.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't listen to bands or genres but rather just individual tunes I like.
    A band/artist can do one tune I love and then nothing else I like. Some bands do 3-4 I like.
    I've never got people that, out of the whole of human musical history, choose to listen to just a few bands or one genre of music.
    I have musical tastes that tend towards certain things but I can point to a tune from almost any genre of music I like (although some of the harder forms of metal don't get much of a look in I admit).
    Without a doubt, no matter where my musical journey goes, I'm always partial to a bit of James Brown, Led Zeppelin, early Prodigy (their latest album isn't very good), Chemical Brothers, ACDC and Eric B and Rakim

3. 7pm in Kyoto

Actually I get this, partially because I'm similar in some aspects. Although there are bands that I listen to regularly, I do sometimes listen to one or two bits of music from one source and not fully get into the band albeit enjoying some songs/tunes.

Oh, and yeah, I like a bit of Prodigy. Not overly fond of James Brown but he's done a few songs which are okay. Nice.

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, you and me are probably not going to get along.

5. 7pm in Kyoto

*weeps*.
    http://gph.is/1adJsg6

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Don't be like that, here, this is what i listen to when i need cheering up.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IST6qRfVqwY"]James Brown -The Payback - YouTube[/ame]

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

[​IMG]

8. 7pm in Kyoto

• It's a Man's Man's World
    • Call me Super Bad
    • I Got You
    • Mother Popcorn
    • Night Train
    • How Do You Stop
    • I Feel Good

Are all songs I like, if that's any consolation. I don't listen to loads of his music, those are just songs that I've heard. They're good, I guess.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I do a lot of that, too. Journey, for example, has a few fantastic songs, but the the bulk of their stuff is just "meh, whatever." Johnny Cash has some fantastic songs and I think he's justifiably a legend in country music, but I can't listen to him for too long. And I've been known to play a lot of Enya and Celtic Women every few months.

But that said, on the whole I'm fan of Blues ...
    and Jazz, especially big-band style (but I hate bebop) ...
    and especially Harry Connick, Jr. ...
    and Classical (Beethoven rules) ...
    but in my car it's got to be the rock stations.

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Mostly a fan of varying forms of rock (as long as it's not punk) and metal (most forms).

Got no problems listening to most things though, but a lot of pop, punk, house & rap ticks me off.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Thought you liked Bad Religion?

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

A lot of hip-hop, then Florence and the machine, first aid kit, the doors, Erm everything but reggae and classical

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

They're a tolerable exception to the rule :p

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I like the first two albums, or is it the first and third...they did some funny album that they pulled as they were so ashamed of it. Anyway, How Could Hell Be Any Worse? and Suffer are great. But I kinda laugh at them for being an entry level band until you discover the sonic beauty of GG Allin.

--------

Back on topic. Pretty much anything. In a rough order.

Punk and hardcore and it's numerous sub-genres (Pre-, proto-, post, synth, grind, crust and on and on). Can't stand contemporary hardcore, which is just badly played metal, I like the old stuff; Negative Approach, Government Issue, etc. I'm a massive fan of old southern Cali punk. Forget The Offspring, I am referring to bands like The Adolescents, Circle Jerks, The Germs, TSOL, FEAR.

Metal. Pretty much anything except hair stuff and anything cheesy (Mid and late Iron Maiden etc). Prefer the old stuff like Sabbath, Budgie etc.

Synth stuff; Cold Wave, horror disco, minimal wave, dark wave.

Roots music: US stuff, bluegrass, folk, work songs, old time, blues.

Southern Rock.

Ska.

Old hip hop.

Bit of soul.

I think the only thing I cant listen to is classical.

I am very snobby about my music and am an elitist..., but have pretty diverse tastes. I can go from GG Allin's "I Kill..." or "Caroline and Sue", to this (which is the best song ever written):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K149sKeuTA"]Doc Watson - Little Sadie, best version ever! - YouTube[/ame]

I guess when you grow up listening to John Peel (RIP) it does have a influence on you.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015