What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I just finished the first two episodes of FightWorld.

It's a Netflix original that was released today.

It's basically Fight Quest meets Vice Fightland. I highly recommend.

Travess and axelb like this.
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

::jawdrop:: Dude! I'm putting that in my queue today!

Was that actor guy the one Captain America beat up in two of the Marvel Avenger movies?

Jaydub likes this.
  3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Yup, Frank Grillo - Also the star of the MMA based series 'Kingdom'

Travess

Jaydub likes this.
  4. Travess

Okay, so I just finished episode 1 (Mexican boxing culture) and I just had to extend my gratitude @Jaydub, for bringing this series to my attention - Grillo seems to have a genuine passion for the subject matter, and appears to have a very personable demeanor towards everyone that he encounters.

On an aside note, it is also good to see that Julio César Chávez seems to still be in charge of his faculties, and is still in (apparent) good physical health.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to Thailand for episode 2...

*Edit* - It's always strangley encourage, that Grillo makes the same 'sex noises' that I do (my instructors words, not mine) when he is working the pads!

Travess

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Jaydub likes this.
  5. Travess

The edit function timed out, whilst I was editing my post, and I just couldn't let it go!

6. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Just finished the third episode. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the show as much as I am. It's too bad that there are only five episodes.

I knew very little about Lethwei / Burmese Boxing before this episode. It's quite a hardcore martial art. I wonder why it's not more well-known around the world.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    axelb and Travess like this.
  7. aikiMac

Arg! I was so enjoying Gotham season 4 until +/- episode 19, when it went all stupid. I didn't even finish the last episode. I'll probably eventually go back and finish it just to finish the season, but -- there's just so much wrong with the direction this season turned! Why why why?!

So I flipped over to Daredevil season 3 and was blown away. I binged the first 2 episodes, and loved it as much as season 1. The opening segment of the first episode, where Matt can barely sit up in bed, and is being nursed by nuns, is flawless. *That* is how a tv show is supposed to be made.

8. aikiMac

Oooooh, this is so delicious, I'm as giddy as a kid in a candy store holding a $100 bill! I thought Daredevil 1 was the best series ever. And then I thought, wow, Cobra Kai is right up there. But no, Daredevil 3 beats them both! Wow wow wow wow wow wow! For 6 episodes, Matt is getting an intense beating 12 different ways. And then in the final 10 seconds of episode 7, there's a glimmer of hope. And in episode 8, if you don't count the revelation about Sister Maggie but focus only on his allies, he's actually winning! Woo-ooo! But then the opening scene of episode 9 -- boom! Godzilla stomps him right back where he came from! ::applause:: ::applause:: ::applause:: ::applause::

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I started watching "Z Nation" on Netflix tonight and am into the third episode.

I caught a couple of episodes by accident on the telly and thought it should be worth watching in OT, without commercials and possible cuts, so considered getting on DVD or BluRay.
    But thanks to Netflix that's off the table for the moment.

So far I enjoy the show, even though there is a bit of a blood fest at times; something you should be able to take with some sort of humor or it will probably be annoying.
    I have that sick humor, so it had me laugh actually at times :oops:

Minispoiler, not story-related, just a short killing scene (come on, it's zombies, no surprise that there is killing):
    I mean come on, seeing the Liberty Bell playing bowling with zombies, tearing them off their feet, literally, how you not end up laughing? :rolleyes::D

Watching the second episode, I realized that I actually managed to catch the beginning, when I watched a couple or so episode on the telly, so this might either be good or bad: I liked what I saw, now it only needs to stay like this.

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Got through Killing Eve and The Bodygaurd the past few weeks, both well done and very watchable.

11. aikiMac

I put Bodyguard on my queue a few weeks ago. The trailer looked okay. I haven't watched it yet, so I'm glad you like it. :)

cloudz likes this.
  12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I finished Haunting of Hill House recently and enjoyed that; genuinely spooky in places, with some satisfying jump scares too. Worth a watch if you like a horror that isn't a gore fest.

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Watched the show a while back and was pleasantly surprised.
    More on the story side of horror and less "blood, gore, jumpscares", as you already mentioned.

Mitch likes this.
  14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

The BBC seem to be on a roll this year with their dramas, they have a couple others that look interesting. The Informer is one I have my eye on.

15. aikiMac

That's funny you mention The Informer. Last night I noticed it for the first time in the scrolling advertisement list when I turned on Netflix. I put it in my very very very very long queue.

And then I binged 3 episodes of "Lucifer." And yes, I fully recognize that it's a shameless ripoff of Castle, which was a shameless ripoff of Moonlighting (in the 80s), with a splash of True Blood or (dare I say it) Twilight added to the stew, what with the pretty girl being immune to Lucifer's mindreading. But the "Castle" thing hooked me enough to let the 2nd episode play, and episode 2 hooked me with the suggestion that the title character Lucifer, who is the actual Devil, the actual Lord of Hell, can change. In episode 2, his angel/demon brother accuses him of changing, and then in episode 3 Lucifer himself admits, with childlike giddy glee, that he is in fact changing. He's beginning to actually care about humans! And *that* is a fascinating hook to a story, even if the overall plot is a ripoff of Castle.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Oh wow, remember Moonlighting too. I recall one of my cousins in particular was mad about it. Bruce Willis big breakthrough, must be 30+ odd years ago.. I'll give Lucifer an add, cheers.

17. Travess

The Orville (season 2)

It's childish, low brow, over indulgent, and boy have I missed it - We're only 2 episodes into the new season, but it's pretty much more of the same, which is exactly what I hoped it would be.

Travess

cloudz likes this.
  18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

After the first three seasons of "Z Nation" I went on to finally watch the Holy Grail of Zombie series ;).
    I'm roughly at the middle of the second season, and am enjoying that too so far.
    Not a lot more to say, as it's the beginning of a lot of episodes to come.

When I'm in the mood for some fun entertainment I'm still watching "Modern Family", somewhere in the fourth season of that.
    Still fun, so they're doing something right, I guess.

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Been binging on Better Call Saul over the holidays and almost there started at season 2 and halfway through season 4 now.

Travess likes this.
  20. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

LUTHER.

Travess likes this.