What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Up to episode 6 of Lost in Space and really enjoying it so far. It reminds me a little bit of Lost, Stargate SG-1/Atlantis and Earth 2.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Haven't heard that name in quite a while.
    I didn't think anyone else would know or at least remember it!

Van Zandt likes this.
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Loved that show. I remember it debuting on Sky 2 when the channel was brand new, '98 or '99 I think it was. Space: Above and Beyond was another great show from that era.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Great show!
    That was partially based on the novel starship troopers, which the film of the same name was also based on.

Starship Troopers - Wikipedia

Van Zandt likes this.
  5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Count me in as someone who loved Earth 2 and Space: Above and Beyond too!

Van Zandt and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Oh yeah, I went to see Starship Troopers six or seven times at the cinema when it came out (even though I was a couple of years underage!). Blur's 'Song 2' was my favourite song of '97-98 because it was on the tv trailer for the film.

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Tell me you also loved DS9 and Sliders and I'll marry you right here, right now!

Frodocious and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Oh, yeah!
    O was *so* happy, when I finally saw, that there was a DVD set!
    And I am still very annoyed, that there never was a second season.

I still haven't read any book there. Darn it.
    And I finally need to get that movie. It's only cut here, so I will need to import it.
    And the others too. Not as good as the first one, but at least okay.

I stopped Sliders when they cut Jerry O'Connell out of it.
    Mainly because the time it was shown was bad, even with the re-runs.
    The first seasons would be shown a lot, the last not so much.

And DS9. It's Star Trek.
    How could it not be liked?

Van Zandt likes this.
  9. Frodocious

DS9 is the best version of Star Trek made. Sliders I watched, but not religiously, but it was enjoyable. So, when's the wedding?

Van Zandt likes this.
  10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And no excuses possible!
    We all read it!

Frodocious likes this.
  11. Frodocious

You know how much Mitch likes picking out hats for weddings! :)

Van Zandt likes this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Never liked any form of Star Trek. It's all rubbish. Yeah I said it.

Van Zandt likes this.
  13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Continuing the sci-fi theme, I say May 4th.

Frodocious likes this.
  14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's okay, society is more accepting of genetic abnormalities these days.

Frodocious likes this.
  15. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I'm a huge fan, but it's all become so unrealistic now - I get light speed, worm holes, alien civilisations, and Kirk bedding anything with tentacles - But come on, even if we could accept each others differences long enough to even form a 'united federation of planets', I'm sure a marginal majority would have pushed for 'federexit' by now, and brought all crashing down... :D :cool:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

LOL, very brave of you to say that! When I was young I didn't understand the love, but it's grown on me over the years.
    Wait, come to think of it ... as Star Wars has gotten worse, I've appreciated Star Trek more ... :eek::confused::eek:

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

:eek:
    Now I have to look, how to ignore people here.
    I mean - you can call me names and such, you can call my cats names - but disliking Star Trek?
    come on, man!

Smitfire and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Remember the prime directive, we shouldn't interact with less evolved, backwards, communities!

Frodocious, Latikos and Van Zandt like this.
  19. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Netflix's Monkey Magic reboot, 'The new legends of Monkey' went live today, so I decided to give the 1st couple of episodes a shot.

Cheesy, fairly mediocre budget and very much aimed at a younger/family audience - All of which did not surprise me.

The 25 minute run time on the other hand, now that both surprised, and disappointed me.

Travess

20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I just finished the second season of "The Man in the High Castle".
    And honestly can't wait for the next one.
    Without spoilers:

For some reason I had really high expectations at the show, which I usually don't have; but the setting or the idea of it, is something I really liked, and I guess therefore the expectations.

Maybe I'm just easily entertained (which I usually am) but I thoroughly In enjoyed the show.
    It has great characters, who develop in very interesting ways and often some you don't expect. At all.
    Lots of them aren't just evil, but have more sides, have their reasons and everything, do they don't usually seem to be one-dimensional.
    No one is bad or evil, just because they're Nazis or Japanese, no one is good and proper just because they're American.

Actually the only thing I didn't like were the very few erotic scenes.
    Now I have to admit, I'm not a fan of scenes like that anyway, because I just found it boring to have to look at it, when I want to see a movie or show, but here they also seemed out of place and just didn't fit into the whole thing; from the way the show is done.
    At least to me, it felt forced.

What I found surprisingly greatly done: Whenever the English-speaker actors had to speak German.
    Brilliant.
    Usually the actors have such a heavy accent, that at times you have trouble understanding them (not to be mean; German is rubbish language to speak); I won't even start with grammar or sometimes the chosen words; it had me grin at times and I bet it would be the same the other way around, if I would watch German movies with English-speaking Germans; usually, when I hear Germans here talk in English, I want to cry, because the accent just rapes the language.

But in this show?
    Nothing like this.
    At times I even had to listen rather carefully to notice the accent, and even if it is noticeable, the words are still so clearly spoken, that there was no problem understanding anything.
    Gee, once or twice, the English-speaking actors did a better job acting in German, than the German actors that sounded like puppets!
    So, yes, I was really, really impressed there!