What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

L O V E D! The last season of Angel...

Travess

Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was never sure how much I liked the idea
    of Angels son
    and therefore stopped somewhere towards the end (or maybe even at the end?) of season 4.

Which was weird, because I mostly enjoyed it, despite or at times even because of the part in the spoiler.

To be honest, I think I just watched too much back then: Buffy, all seasons in a row - twice (because I was also watching it with two others in German; which really isn't any fun, once you know the original), followed by Angel.
    So I hope I will do better this time around.[/spoiler]

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The last season of Angel is amazing, especially the puppet episode, but yea, your in for a treat!

4. Travess

Yeah, I was never really a big fan of either the character or the story arc that it produced, but I think that they wrap it up nicely in the end!

Ha ha ha - Smile time... Of course!

Travess

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hmm. I stopped after, I think, season 2? Maybe season 3? It was getting stupid and got bored, but maybe I'll revisit it.

At the moment I'm at ep 5 or 6 of "Jessica Jones" (season 2) and enjoying it. It's much more of a soap opera than I normally like, but everyone is doing a fantastic job of keeping character. I especially like the interplay between Jessica and Trish and Malcolm. Their camaraderie acting is turning what for me would be an uninteresting soap opera, into a very interesting story.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The Looming Tower

Only two episodes in but holy smokes this is good! Anyone who enjoys post-9/11 and GWOT era political thrillers should get a real kick out of it. Jeff Daniels is sublime. Its main themes echo the current inter-agency rivalries currently rocking the Trump administration. Brilliant stuff, 8 out of 10 (likely to rise to a 9 or 10 if it keeps up the tension).

David Harrison likes this.
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Annihilation
    It's good. Looks really pretty and I think it would've looked great in cinema, however I think the film makers opting for going with Netflix was probably the wiser decision. It's an acquired taste. Very slow movie.

Not as trippy as Ex Machina though.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I totally forgot I'd seen the first episode and thought it was really good.

Thanks for reminding me! :)

Van Zandt likes this.
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It gets much better!

David Harrison likes this.
  10. Mushroom

Just finished the 2nd season of Santa Clarita Diet.

I like it, it's quirky. Timothy Olyphant is probably the angriest person to attempt comedy - which comes off a bit forced.

Also, very sweary.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Finally, finally up to date with 'The Walking Dead' after I pretty much stopped watching it half way through season 7. Unfortunately, I found it hard going, and it quickly became relegated to 'background noise'. It just isn't good any more, and hasn't been for a while.

I'm a fan of the comic book, and although the TV series deviated from the books a long time ago, it still sort of held up, but, now... Now it's just 'meh'.

In other news I've started on 'Jessica Jones' season two, it's more of the same so far, but that's no bad thing as I loved the first Season.

Also, 'The Santa Clarita Diet', which is great fun.

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Still watching "Buffy", started season 5.

I must say, watching all these fight scenes with actually getting what you see makes them even cooler and more fun :D

Dead_pool and Van Zandt like this.
  13. aikiMac

I finished "Jessica Jones 2" last night with a 3-episode marathon. Wow, what a downer! :(

The episodes were excellently written, but, man, it's so sad! I think the only person who end the season with a better life is the investigator Cheng. What a depressing show! :(Yet, it's brilliantly written and perfectly filmed. I loved it. I just don't like sad stories, as a rule.

I liked it more than the 1st season, but that said, it needs the 1st season. Some tv shows you can watch out of order, but not this one. Come to think of it -- combining the seasons into a continuous 26-hour story would be perfect. One flows into the other seamlessly.

14. Chimpcheng

Dotting about on Netflix looking for something that the missus and I could watch together (apparently things with spaceships and "peew, peew, peeeeewwwww!!!" aren't good enough), when I chanced upon 'Chosen'.

It appears to be a joint Chinese/Australian remake of the American TV show of the same name.

Essentially, a dude goes to Australia with his family, he's off to present some super duper pace maker, then, one day, someone leaves a box outside his room. Inside is a photo of a dude and a loaded gun. Thus begins a game of kill or have your family killed, featuring many players already in this "game".

The acting is shonky, particularly by the lead Lan Cheng-Lung, it's so bad that you will find yourself reaching for the remote to find something else to watch, BUT, stick with it, and there's enough there to keep you curious...

15. Travess

Pointed my face at Netflix's re-imagining of 'Lost in Space' - Only 3 (of I think 10) episodes in so far, but we are really enjoying it.

Production value, special effects (love the new Robbie the Robot) and overall visuals are pretty high quality, as is the acting and atmosphere.

The only slight niggle for me, is it seems to be following very closely to the format of 'Lost' - Stranded, following multiple groups of survivors and even the odd intermittent individual character flashbacks.

Solid 8/10 (based on what I have seen so far)

Travess

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I didn't even notice there was one; should watch more TV again apparently :D
    Need to check that one out.

Travess likes this.
  17. Mushroom

Just watched ep1 of Lost In Space. Im kinda hoping Robbie Robot is not going to have "convenient powers" that happens to help them out of any situation.

18. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just finished the first season of The Shannara Chronicles, which my wife also enjoyed. It has been a really long time since I read the books, so I don't know how closely it lines up. It was pretty good, we plan to watch the second season.

19. Chimpcheng

As it turned out, it wasn't worth sticking with 'Chosen', the acting seemed to get worse and worse as it went on.

Any how, I'm currently watching 'Episodes' Season 5 over on BBC, Matt LeBlanc is great in this, plays a fictional version of himself.

Also, apparently, all the Monty Python movies and TV shows are now on Netflix. I haven't seen the TV shows since the re-runs as a kid. I can't wait to get stuck in..

20. aikiMac

Rewatching "iZombie" and I had a revelation: the show is not about Liv Moore. It's about Major Lilywhite.

Yes, the intro is all about Liv, and the pilot was all about her, and she narrates each episode from her point of view, but a story is about the character who changes. And she doesn't change. Major changes. Think about it.
    When the series begins, Major is squeaky-clean with a steady job as a social worker advising drug-addicted and aimless youth. He was a guardian angel and the voice of conscience. Then his caring heart turned into frustration at perceived police apathy, so he started doing his own detective work. And his frustration became anger when he found the killer but the police wouldn't do anything. And then his anger turned into an obsession for revenge, and in that obsession he began to fear that he was going insane. And he did go insane: he checked himself into an asylum, and almost, almost reached rock bottom. He lost his job for breaking the law and partially becoming what he'd been counseling youth against: a criminal. And then he became a full-on drug addict -- that's rock bottom.

So Major descends from squeaky-clean youth counselor to unemployed drug addict with a criminal record, who killed for revenge.
    And then he gets hired, er, I mean, blackmailed into a job where he tracks down and kills zombies posing as ordinary human family men with wives and children. Yep, the former social worker who counseled youths who lost their fathers, is now kidnapping fathers and killing them.
    Until he becomes a private mercenary, that is. Then he kills absolute strangers not because he's being blackmailed, but because he really really wants to.

:eek::eek: Whoa, dude! That's a story!

And what can we say about the narrator, Liv Moore? Ah, right, at the end of the pilot she's the assistant Medical Examiner. At the end of season 1 she's the assistant Medical Examiner. At the end of season 2 she's the assistant Medical Examiner. At the end of season 3 she's the assistant Medical Examiner. [I haven't seen season 4.]
    Yep, like I said, the show is actually about Major.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Mushroom likes this.