What to look for in a Sambo club ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DominikDoherty, Aug 24, 2018.

1. DominikDoherty

DominikDoherty Valued Member

I am toying with the idea of giving Sambo a try cause my Aikido classes of which I enjoy doing used to run twice a week but due to lack of numbers is only being done once a week that was pretty much the only time I got out of my house and did some exercise so I need to do something else I did do BJJ for a month or so but the closest place that was any good is two hours away I thought "why not give Sambo a try" my reasoning was I want to do grappling and Sambo has a mix of Wrestling, Grappling and Takedowns along with striking.

There just so happens to be a small Sambo club thirty minutes or so away from where I live so before I decide on anything what should I look for in the club as far as atmosphere, training ethic and what the instructor should be like cause if I do decide to take it up I want to make sure it's worth it and that I am learning something worthwhile.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Do they compete
    And they welcoming
    Do they spar
    Do they spar safely and at a level so a beginner can learn and not get hurt
    Do you enjoy it?

If you can answer yes to the above its a good club

DominikDoherty and axelb like this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Also there should be a free class!

DominikDoherty and axelb like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Theirs not many sambo teachers in the UK, if he's a legit russian teacher just go ogling his name will bring up his competition matches.
    Sambo in general is great.

DominikDoherty likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm amazed by their spelling and go ogling Russian names too, sometimes. :D

Dead_pool and DominikDoherty like this.
  7. DominikDoherty

DominikDoherty Valued Member

The guy's name is Gary Clarke and he is recognised by the British Sombo Association and he did help take part in this so it seems legit I might look into it if thats the case.