what to do in a barfight(impracticle magazine article)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kenpoguy, Aug 16, 2004.

1. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

I happened to pick up the september issue of black belt magazine and came across a section about what to do in a barfight, by bill wallace. The overall point was to avoid them competely, but there were also some points he horribly killed. He stated something to the effect of , "one quick way to end any barfight is a backfist to the face of the agressor" or something to that nature. In kenpo, one of the key rules is NEVER THROW A BACKFIST IN A FEAL FIGHT! If you think about it, a backfist typically does very little damage. Something such as a hammerfist or other common sense strike would be much more practical to use. He also went on to explain(seemed like he was reffering to people of all ranks and MA backrounds)to always apologize and avoid further conflict if somebody pulls a gun. Now this isnt always such a bad idea perhaps, but what if the guy actually intends to shoot you? You are seemingly in trouble there. Just my opinions on this. :)

2. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

In my opinion...
    You're not fully grown yet.
    The best trained punch a fully grown man can do can kill another on his feet.

Stick with effective techniques, but when you're about 30-odd you'll find the backfist more prudent for most common, bar scuffles.

If a guy has pulled his gun, you've already missed the boat. If you fight, you will be shot, if you don't you might not, it's up to him.
    The effective defence is the step before.
    But if you're sure you're going to be shot anyway, kill him on his feet with any available means. There aren't many for most.

3. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Guitar wielding maniac

Backfists OWN! hehe...

Seriously though, a backfist is a good technique. If you arent generating enough power with your backfists then you arent doing them right. Spinning backfists are especially powerful, but hard to set up (in a bar fight, youd be hard pressed to pull one off I think). Just step in with your weight on your front foot and lash it out as soon as you step down, like whipping a wet towel at someone. Theres a lot more to it than that of course... Hmmm, a backfist to the back of the hand of someone holding a gun can put a damper on their shooting plans :p

4. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

Backfists are much better techniques than a common punch, why? A powerfull punch generally requires the rest of the body to move along with the punch to help generate power. A backfist uses the muscles of the arm to 'snap' out which generates a lot of of force. Also you are more likely to hit a clean shot with the knuckles with a backfist.

5. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

Look at the magazine you pulled it from, Black Belt has long been the source of bu!!sh1t information.

a backfist to the nose can buy you the time you need to
    really strike.

"In my opinion...
    You're not fully grown yet.
    The best trained punch a fully grown man can do can kill another on his feet"

In movies, but not likely to happen, One punch kill .. please stop.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I couldn't see a backfist being much use either.

7. Adam

Adam New Member

From what I hear, something Black Belt Mag tells you is awesome is something you'd best avoid if you want to keep your teeth.

Backfist better than a regular punch? Can't really see that either. How many KO's have been made in sport fighting with backfists? My guess would be not a lot.

8. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Barfights? Backfists?
    First of all, I think the backfist can generate more power than a straight punch, especially a sweeping backfist.
    Secondly, what the hell are you doing in a bar? Who goes to bars? Don't go to bars. Bars get shot up. Anyway, the best defence? Throw a chair at your agressor and flee from the spot. Only bad things can happen if you stay. If someone pulls a 44 mag on you, pull your nine and shoot the spot up.

All these fakers disappear when I drop the rhyme
    All these haters disappear when I cokk the nine :eek: :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Note to self: NEVER go to a bar in Jamaica.

10. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Backfist to the temple can't be the most pleasant thing in the world [​IMG]

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... unless of course its 3 dives Cliff Bar in Negril (my fav Jamaican bar)... anyone bothers you there you just dive off the cliff into the water!!

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think every night out at the bars should end with the place getting peppered with machinegun fire and me cliff diving out the backdoor to escape.

:)

13. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Well that depends on what Bar you go to.
    Negril, for example is a major tourist destination. Tourism is about 40% of the economy, so of course, people take pains to make sure that tourists spots don't get shot up. :D Of course, if you go to the other end of the country, and go sit in a random bar, chances are it won't get shot up on the night you're in there. BUT, if a fight starts, the spot's gonna get shot up. :woo:
    Rule of thumb:
    Bar serves Strawberry Daquiris, Rum Cream, high flying rum punch and overlooks the beach or some old building : Will never get shot up :D :D
    Bar is on the corner of the street and serves Rum Shots in huge glasses and everyone there is drunk at 5:00pm - may get shot up. :woo:

My point is, that I never hear of an old fashioned "barfight" anymore. It's always 44 mags, Taurus 9mm's, Berettas and Desert Eagles ... :woo:
    The aforementioned shooting up, does not however happen every day, or there would be no more bars ..

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Still, it's a very sound point, if that's the case.

15. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

1) One punch kills are a legend.

2) Have your back against the wall and go for the door at the first opportunity. People who pick up fights in bars are rarely if ever alone, so it pays to not have your back exposed.

3) Be careful about glasses and glass bottles.

4) Remember, the chair is your friend.

This advice was brought to you by a person who successfully avoided getting involved in about a dozen bar fights, mostly by apologizing, smiling a lot, and going for the exit ASAP.

16. jlintz

jlintz New Member

regarding the one punch legend. Recently about 2 weeks ago on LI there was a kid who was killed from a punch at a party. He was sucker punched and fell and hit his head on the concrete. Granted it wasnt the punch that killed him but it was the punch that did bring him down and led to his death so I think that is something to think about.

17. WingChun Lawyer

He could have slipped on a banana peel with the same results. And I don´t think I´ll quit doing martial arts and start to carry banana peels. Soldiers certainly aren´t going to leave their weapons behind to make more room for the banana peels.

You get the idea.

18. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

How many KO's by a backfist?? None probably, because a KO by a backfist would require them to be hit in the temple. You hit someone in the temple with a well placed backfist and the forensic department will most likely be inspecting them soon. Same thing with a upwards palm heel strike to the bottom of the nose, hasn't caused many KO's in MMA fights but its still effective. Just because you can't KO someone with it doesn't mean it isn't effective.

19. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Ah, good god!

Look, it depends on the style, and also, alot of times a teacher will say 'back fist is bad' but when you go a little further in the style, you will start using them.

No you cant knock somone out with a back fist, but it makes a good set up!

20. WingChun Lawyer

Sorry, your post is contradictory. If you can´t KO someone with it it is, more than likely, ineffective, IF your intention is to knock people out.

Unless you mean those techniques are more difficult to pull off than the techiques commonly used to knock people out, despite being more effective (which doesn´t make sense). Either that, or you are implying that such techniques are too deadly for the ring (which I don´t believe).