What the heck...aquitted?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by surgingshark, Apr 4, 2004.

1. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Hey, that's the US judicial system for you. All you need to do is say "God told me to do it" and they say you're insane, and you're free to go! (More less)

PL

3. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

"All five mental health experts consulted in the case, including two for the prosecution and one for the judge, concluded that a severe mental illness caused Laney to have psychotic delusions that rendered her incapable of knowing right from wrong during the killings -- the standard in Texas for insanity.

Psychiatrists testified that Laney believed she was divinely chosen by God -- just as Mary was chosen to bear Christ -- to kill her children as a test of faith and then serve as a witness after the world ended"-Houston Chronicle

When 5 psychiatrist agree,even the ones for the prosecution,that the woman was insane(not knowing right from wrong)-there is little to be done under the law.

4. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Quoting the article, I think the argument of "She knew what she did was wrong because she called 911 right after the murders" is a very valid one.

5. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

I happen to agree shark, but I was not on the jury.
    My point was the jurors believed the psychiatrist-that she was incapable of knowing right from wrong. The jurors followed the law, acquitted her for insanity.

We in Texas have a long history of not buying insanity pleas, for a jury to believe it-she must be reeeeeeaaaaly out there.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

No offense Neko, but I'm with SS on this one. I'm in the medical field, I've seen "insane" patients suddenly become quite sane after the trial is over and they've been acquitted. Not always, but I'm skeptical in this case because of the 911 call.

7. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

In Another Case

I read in the L.A. Times that there was this man who ran over a woman and pleaded insanity because God told him to run over her because she was black. I believe he was acquitted or was convicted on less serious charges.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

There was a guy who shot a bunch of people, then pleaded insanity, saying he ate some Twinkies, and the sugar caused temporary insanity. He got off.

PL

9. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Don't worry she'd be dead if Bush was still down here!

One crazy killing another :eek:

10. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

You know what the really strange thing about this case is........
    5 psychiatrists AGREED with each other.

David

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Yup, Penis envy can drive a woman over the edge.

PL

12. Jack

Jack Valued Member

haha! :D