what style WMA do you actually do? and how long have you been doing it?

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Isabella la Red, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Isabella la Red

Isabella la Red New Member

With everyone talking about where they came from and stick fighting and so on, What groups do you belong too? and what training do you actaully do?
    What garb do you have to fight in and play in?

Im with 4 groups, I am still kitting up to fight in the SCA and have just finished making my helmet so i should be fighting hard out SCA style with in 2 weeks.

I do re-enactment with another group and thats all they do so its all pulled/telegraphed strikes, lots of owww and ahhhs and uh im dead stuff.

then theres the steels, The Dark Company covers all the old fetch manuals, working with sword, dagger, spear,pike,polearm,quater staff, sheild work, buckler, kite,round,heater,tear, grappling,also looking at expanding into archery and jousting. They have 2 sister clubs also in NZ

Im also looking at training in becoming a marshell for all the WMA.
    and learing what theres is to become a better fighter and instructor.

With steels 3 years now, that also covers the re-enactment clubs.
    With the SCA Ive been with them for comming on 2 months now.

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

We are in our own group, we haven't really bothered with giving us a name. Two of us have been training Fiore del Libere with Colin Richards from england as instructor for 2,5 years, and we've allso scratched the surface of Talhoffer's daggerwork, the I-33 manual and Mendoza's wresteling. Dave Rawlings from england and Bob Cherron are two other instructors I've had the pleassure to train with. I've allso worked as cannonfodder on showfights and re-enactment battles.

I started a fightingcourse in January for some larpers wanting to enter the world of re-enactment and WMA. I teach them what little I've learned from the Libere-manual on longsword, dagger and wresteling, and I plan to start exploring I-33 with them. The re-enactment is taught by an experienced re-enacter.

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

My group was a part of the SCA. But We were more or less killed because we werent "period enough" This comming from people who on avearge fight with shorter than historcal weapons and larger than historical sheilds, with no sheild bashing and no blows below the knees.
    And what the Kingdom is trying to replace us with a nice thing. A lot more "period" than heavies. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/unarmoredcombat

But what I do?
    My group fights with shinai whreing fencing masks and not much else other protection. Its rather fast and acrobatic at times. We mainly use shinai but also mak other weapons from the bamboo planks, such as pole arms greteswords and daggers.
    People usally fight with asingle shinai in one hand with few ,like me, actually using longsword technique.
    And Ive been doing what Ive been doing for 4 years now.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  4. Tim Merritt

Tim Merritt New Member

5. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Training in the West Coast of Scotland

Hi Isabella,

I'm affiliated to the Cateran Society, Irish Bata and several SingleStick groups

I am also interested in seeking out individuals who have some connection with forms of Western Martial training here in Scotland....

My training includes:

Single-stick training studied from the 1790 manual "Antipugilism" right through to forms of singlestick practiced by veteran fencers in the 1990's to the present day.
    Dirk training which involves a form of fencing with the dirk practiced 50 years ago along with the techniques found in an old combative Scottish dance called the 'Dirk Dance'
    Traditional Backhold/Celtic & Medieval wrestling kicks, trips and throws combined with old pugilism.

For weapons training we wear fencing mask, arm & knee pads - for the grappling/boxing we wear fingerless bag gloves and any padding you like.

Louie

6. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Here's a link to some pictures taken from a training session in eastern norway this october. The session allowed any melee combat group based in Norway and Sweden that follows the "haerkamp-rules" (It's basically the standard european "re-enactment"-ruleset.) http://laiv.youhei.net/gallery/album82

Watch the longsworddude (on pg.3) beeing handed the good stuff from a sword and buckler-wielder!

7. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Looks like a fun weekend. Takes me back to my re-enactment days.... now that makes me sound old :)

Regards
    Rob
    Haha another post to my tallly :)

8. Stick

Stick New Member

Boxing on and off for almost 20 years, my family has always run a boxing club. I've also wrestled in high school and roll with catch wrestlers from time to time. As for weapons, I love the crooked cane. It's legal and very useful, the shillelagh is awesome as well and I often use many of the movements found in Irish stick.