What style of silat do you practice?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Crucible, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

I train primarily with the Suwandas, particularly Bambang. I am a former student of Pa Herman, up to his death in 2000. Saying that, I guess you could say we have our fingers in everybody's business. :D However, I primarily concentrate on the Sundanese styles, and I especially appreciate thier approach to Ibing (Kembangan).

2. scottsummers

scottsummers Valued Member

I practice Amerindo Self Defense under Oom Jim Ingram. It is a combination of about 5 or 6 systems of silat, boxing, military combatives and some other neat stuff.

3. scottsummers

my teacher has been learning silat for 65 years and he still wont call himself a pendekar. He says that when no one else has anything left to teach him he might think about it.

4. Hobbitlauncher

Hobbitlauncher Chronic Complaint Dept.

When i begin training it'll be under the Suwanda family, doing mande muda, harimau, and cimande, or at least once i end up in seattle training with bobster =P I'm not sure which styles of silat MKG teaches, Bobbe probably knows more than me.

5. scottsummers

check out Jim INgram when you get to seattle. You will be suprised

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

From what I understand MKG teaches the Inosanto-blend Maphilindo plus stuff from instructors they bring in for seminars. I don't know about their Silat program, but they are an excellent school overall.

7. Hobbitlauncher

this is what i've heard, just gotta up the cashflow before i can drive 50 miles each way and pay the costs =P

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

50 miles each way? Which direction from Seattle?

9. mas guru

mas guru New Member

:yeleyes: i study lanka empat system from sumatra from greg alland. ive been doing it almost 10 years now. i also work on the mande muda and sundanese silat systems from west java.
    mas paul

10. Hobbitlauncher

nonono, the origninal mkg (minnesota kali group) branch, in minnesota lol, I wont be in Seattle for quite a few years

11. scottsummers

nonono, the origninal mkg (minnesota kali group) branch, in minnesota lol, I wont be in Seattle for quite a few years
    -You need to get here as fast as you can! I could go on and on about Guru Ingrams skills. Imagine doing silat for 65 years-no sport applications at all. No high kicks or anything impractical. Add that to knowing many systems of silat as well as other stuff he knows and welding that all into one fluent system. And, it has been tested in real life situations. Not only that but you dont have to be super flexible to do the techniques. We call them "old man techniques" because most of them dont take too much effort or motion but are VERY effective. I am so lucky to have found him. I have just come into contact with some of the suwanda videos and think those are the closest thing on video you can see to compare guru Ingram's skill with. Even at 75 he moves like lightning.

12. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Style

Pukulan Pencak Silat Serak/bukti negara & Kilat Silat Tuo. I am now just beginning to learn Wali Songo from Guru Cliff Stewart.

13. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

Style

Pencak Silat Serak with Pak Victor de Thouars.

14. soulguru

soulguru New Member

Tausug Silat-Kuntaw from Sulu; actually more of a hybrid, familial, indigeneous Silat art i'm very fortunate to have experienced & still learning from...

15. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Harimau Berantai, originaly from East Jawa.

Selamat Hari Natal to everyone.

16. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

I learned Silat Seni Gayong Malaysia when I was 15 (from year 2000-2002), then I quit after I got the white bengkung since I have to face my examination.

Currently I'm learning Silat Cekak Ustaz Hanafi, and this time I will finish the whole sillibus.

17. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

lets talk about... ME

Salaams all,
    I started off with silat PD in the UK ( 4 years)
    Then in 98 I began training Seni Silat Haqq Melayu with Cikgu Ariffin and still am to this day - as part of that training he asked me to study the Silat Gayong Malaysia syllabus , which I did, PSSGM then gave me permission to open Gayong Spain and VOILA - here we are, going strong in our third year.
    salaam silat
    Sulaiman

18. bernie

bernie New Member

Sulaiman Aloha !
    Hope you are doing well. I trained under the late Pendekar Herman Suwanda from 1988 till his passing and now train with his brother Bambang. Have also had the pleasure of learning from other Pendekars such as Pak Ariffin, Ibu Rita, Pak Dadang, etc. and wish everyone Haouli Makahiki Hou ( Happy New Year ). May all of us be enriched with more information about silat in '06 and how to live as a better indivudal in this world. Mahalo

19. Taker

Taker Valued Member

Peace to All,

Summarizing my journey as a martial artist:

1. Tae Kwon Do (1996) :bang:
    Didn't learn much. Just went for the class for about 3 months and then stopped for some reasons. Did bought the uniform, only to wear it 2 times.

2. Silat Gayung Fatani (1999 - 2000) :rolleyes:
    First time training silat, and man I'm loving it (besides McD). I really put my effort here as I had somehow developed the love for Malay Martial Arts, because I'm a Malay! But I stopped after 8 months as I moved following my family, and the new place didn't have any Silat Gayung Fatani class.

3. Silat Cekak Ustaz Hanafi (22 July 2004 - present) :love:
    The one to be held for life. Started learning when I was studying in a university and continued to study right to this day. Now in the level of Assistant Coach Trainee.

Just my short story to share with others.

20. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

I'm a student of silat majalah, Iaijutsu/Aikijutsu and Shotokan Karate-do.
    Tristan