What sticks do you train with?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Cuchulain82, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I got back from Manila a while ago. I wasn't able to do as much FMA as I'd like, but I was able to buy a bunch of sticks. When I was training regularly I used the sticks at the gym- basic rattan sticks. Recently I was hitting with a dog-brother type, and he had heavier rattan. In manila, however, all the sticks I found were...

...kamagong!

I've trained with them a little since returning (nagging wrist injury) and they are very, very heavy. It is so difficult just to use them- my hands and wrists are getting stronger.

Does anyone else use kamagong? Do you use something else? Should I not use them regularly? What do you use?

2. donb

donb restless spirit

practice with metal pipes once in a while before switching to kamagong, you'll be surprised with the effect - tip from master edgar sulite

3. Cuchulain82

You know, it's kind of remarkable that you said that in your reply, because the little training that I was able to do in Manila was under a first-generation student of Edgar Sulite. This person swore by kamagong, so is it just a Lamenco thing?

4. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

well, i use 26" long and 1" wide competition level ratan arnis. it's ok, but i think 3/4" might be better.

5. Jack_Brando

Jack_Brando New Member

kali sticks?

6. donb

donb restless spirit

kamagong is not a lameco thing only but that was how we were taught in lameco, years ago, using metal pipes and going to the patterns/strikes over and over; also, if you are right handed, always double the number of strikes with your left hand to make them both strong

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

what is a kali stick? what is it made of?

there are many "sticks" in fma (of which kali is part of). they are usually made from rattan, to bahi to kamagong, to narra, to just about any kind of wood you can mention.

besides, if you were a true fma'er, you use whatever stick is on sale in quiapo :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I generally use 31” long 1 1/8” dia. manu sticks, thought I have got a selection of other lengths and widths that I train with. I’ve got a pair of 31” long 1” dia. steel pipes that I try to train with 2/3 times a week. I also try to work out with my pickaxe handle once or twice a week.

A good tip I got with regards to training with pipes was to always finish your session by going back to your actual fighting sticks, so as to not get to used to the extra weight/momentum driving your movements.

9. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i use durratan sticks sometimes. there's very sturdy and last forever. they can be very slippery, so i suggest using tape.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Jack,

"Kali sticks" doesn't refer to a specific sort of stick. Kali is the name of an art (or various arts). Any stick they use could be called a kali stick. Same with "eskrima stick" and "arnis stick."

The terms we use inside of FMA include "baston", "olisi", and "garrote."

:)

11. donb

donb restless spirit

regarding your nagging wrist injury, loosen up your grip with your index fingers; you practically will have more power grip with just the 3 fingers instead of 4

12. Cuchulain82

Do you mean use my thumb and the "lower" two fingers on my hand- the ring finger and pinky? Or do you mean use four of five total digits?

The injury isn't a kali injury; at least, it didn't occur because of FMA. I hurt it weightlifting and it's taken about two months to get right. It still gets sore and has limited range of motion.

13. donb

donb restless spirit

sorry, i thought is was a kali injury, but still, it's the thumb, middle, ring and pinky (4 of 5) and just keep the index finger loose