What skill/technique are you learning right now?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nachi, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

That looks nice! Good luck with learning. Do you have a video of the double cudgel form, by any chance? :)

Nice! I imagine learning ballet is not easy at all, especially by yourself, so this sounds like quite a challenge. I had a time when I used to watch some ballet videos and the skills of those dancers were incredible, so I admire anyone who can do ballet :) What resources are you using, if I may ask? Are there youtube tutorials or something like that?
    Are you still doing Taiji as well?

In the past months I have finally heard a full explanation of Kururunfa kata. Too bad it was just before Christmas and I got sick just after Christmas, so I didn't try it since then, but (that would such a clever move!), I wrote everything down on that day, so I will return to my notes :) I shall do the same for Sepai. I am rusty with it now.

As for Taiji, I am still learning the fan form, the Cannon Fist form and just last week a new course started for a broadsword (Dao). We have only learned a few skills with the sword, not started the form yet. It is a rather short one, but supposedly difficult to learn the techniques well. It looks really nice, though :)
    I feel like learning three forms at once might be a challenge and I hope I wont get overwhelmed, but I enjoy all of them too much to give anything up :oops:
    I am glad I get one extra hour each week to work on the fan form, so I am a bit more sure with that one. I was just told a new class for the fan form will open in March and I was asked to teach it... I am not sure if the explaining would be done by the teacher or not, but either way, I again feel like I should work harder. And learn and ask about all the details I may not be sure about.
    We also have the school anniversary coming in a few weeks with some demos. I will be a part of a group performing the fan form, but I am not sure if I would do anything else. A sword (jian) for is a possibility, so I feel like I shouldn't forget to practice that one, either.

aaradia likes this.
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I find that learning several forms at once is actually easier than learning a bigger chunk of one at a time. They just have to be different from each other, so I don't mix them up. So, say a weapon and a hand form. Or two hand forms that are not similar.
    I was learning two forms at once in my new curriculum, just after testing. Then I decided to learn the basic moves of two more on my own (from script and video) Three was fine. Four started to be pushing my limits and felt like borderline too much. Still, I added my two person form, because two person stuff takes a lot of practice with a partner, so it is good to lean those early in a curriculum. That really was too much though. Then, my instructor and I realized that the forms I was working on were not the best for the upcoming tournament and I started two more and put some of the others on hold. (Normally, one learns tournament forms first. But we haven't had tournament for several years, due to the pandemic. And when I started, we didn't know if there would be a tournament this year.)

So, somehow, I ended up simultaneously being in the middle of the learning the sequence of 7 forms at once! And I definitely have decided that is way way way too much! I hoped to keep up on where I was at with all of them, but it is just too much. So, a few are completely set aside for now.

I am having a blast. I reached a level where I get some say in my curriculum. And I chose well. And I am glad I tested the limits of my ability to learn, but I definitely reached and figured out the boundary. 2 or 3 is ideal for me. 4 is starting to push it and a bit overwhelming, but doable. Trying to learn most of my level curriculum at one time is definitely not smart at all!:eek:

Nachi likes this.
  3. Nachi

Oh, wow, 7 forms! Now three sound like a walk in the park :D I can't imagine working on 7 at once at all. Even thought it was too much as you say, I suppose it indeed is a good experience and a way to test your ability to learn. The 3 I learn are really quite different (well, I haven't started the 3rd, yet), but it should be different enough as well.

I just saw the cudgel video you posted and it looks really nice. I have seen a Taiji form with cudgels which is taught by one of the former students of my Taiji teacher and it also looks really nice. It is a bit of a pity it must have been learned from a different teacher as my school doesn't teach it. Smacking each other with the sticks does sound liek fun, too :D

4. aaradia

I learned a Tai Chi Double Cudgel form a year or two ago. It is actually one of my favorites. And that is part of why I picked a CLF double cudgel form. I find learning the same weapon in both TCC and CLF really deepens my understanding and skill with said weapon. There are no video clips I know of of my Federation's Double Cudgel TCC form. I haven't practiced that one in awhile. I may go back to it now, due to learning the CLF one.

I LOVE stick sparring class! Haven't been in combatives classes since the pandemic hit. But I am now easing my way back into those. Started with push hands class last week. That was easiest to do with wearing a mask. I need to figure out wearing a mask with head gear on. And not really looking forward to faster sparring with a mask. But Covid is still out there, so I am not willing to forego the mask in close proximity to others just yet.

Nachi likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I am actually working on a bit of baguazhang training, tea cups, also working on twisting, as in the photo below, but not stepping, just going left to right

[​IMG]

Nachi and aaradia like this.
  6. Nachi

Learning the same weapons in both arts does sound like a good idea :)

Oh, is covid still on the loose there? There are very few (reported) cases now. And I suppose the current variety is fairly mild. I haven't really heard about covid in a while. But it may also be because we have presidential election this very day, so the news has been full of that. It stirred a lot of emotion among people and no one cares about covid at the moment, I guess.
    But I do understand, it is better to be safe than sorry. I hope you will be able to figure out a way to practice with ease. Sparring with a mask on sounds exhausting, but also like a hardcore training :) Good luck.

Those look like nice basic exercises. :)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Which lineage of baguazhang are you studying? I find it fascinating an art less than 150 years old has so many variations, probably a testament to the way Dong Haichuan taught I suppose.

I'm working on making the palm changes smooth on two circles and also the hook knife changes.

I'm addition my teacher has kindly started to teach me his xingyiquan so I'm working on the five elements generating short power with them, and also single hand pushing which is heavily used in his xingyiquan.

cloudz and Xue Sheng like this.
  8. Xue Sheng

Currently not officially training any lineage, just considering a return. But I have trained in Yin 8 palm and Cheng 8 palm and I also learned a dragon form (at least I think that is what it was) however I am not sure what lineage, possibly Jiang. But this was all over 25 years ago. Xingyiquan I have done a lot of, Hebei, but have not done that in awhile either due to knee issues. At one point I considered teaching Xingyiquan, Looking into possibly returning to that as well, but it would be Shanxi if I do. But I'm getting old so we'll see.

I am currently working on Wing Chun in a Ip Man > Leung Sheung lineage

icefield likes this.
  9. Xue Sheng

That where I am at these days, basic stuff :)

Nachi likes this.
  10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

My baguazhang comes from Cheng as well, through zhao daoxin, disciple of Zhang Zhaodong. My teacher studied with Zhao's disciple in Tianjin for a long time.

He is mainly known for his baguazhang and Yiquan but he was an indoor student in Li Cun Yi's lineage's xingyiquan before he met his current teacher. I'm enjoying the difference between the two arts and the way they express their power and intent.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

One thing I have noticed is the basics are the art, but it's the depth you put into those basics that change the more experience you have.
    I can do the same basic green dragon extends its claws as my teacher but what he is doing internally and mentally will be totally different to what I am concentrating on

Xue Sheng and Nachi like this.
  12. Xue Sheng

Did a little Yiquan in the past too, but no teachers close to me. Know some great ones in Toronto, but I'm thinking almost 400 miles is a bit to far to go to train regularly :) These days all I do is standing post

icefield likes this.
  13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

A hot shower and stretching is how I start each day. Then I start listening to some of my favorite artists, like Sia, Rihanna, Jamiroquai to set the mood.

After that I might eat a little protein, then start moving. Whatever comes up, even putting away clothes, is game.

Ballet is a relatively simple dance, compared to boxing. A few positions of hand and foot. The hardest part is twisting your hips and knees and feet. The arm positions are a lot easier for people with decent arm strength.

Yes, it's all Tai Ji.

Nachi likes this.
  14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I want to get a decent grounding in baguazhang and xingyiquan before asking if I can learn Yiquan. There is enough in our lineage's bagua to keep me learning for a lifetime I think. And it's post training just moving post training lol

Xue Sheng likes this.
  15. Xue Sheng

Very good plan

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

In addition to the baguazhang and xingyiquan I'm learning I'm still refining my Kali padded stick sparring and also stick and knife sparring, the knife changes the intent, angles and distance in sparring a lot.

In grappling I'm working on my kimura game as usual and also adding in more straight wrestling rides and cradles to set up my submission game.

I'm also working my baguazhang throws and body shifting/work into my takedown game and also the body work/shifting and striking from both Bagua and xingyi into my striking sparring

17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Oh blah blah blah wit all yer exercises!

Everyday I'm executing real world application of my exquisitely developed tactile sensitivity to discern and if necessary lightly adjust/correct/catch my -(99 in about 3 weeks)- mother's balance as she walks from place to place about the house.Esp when her knee starts to trick.

Which is about as real world type of application as most of us are ever going to consistently use our skills for.

(Disclaimer for lurkers-the above statement while actual in fact is for humorous purposes only.Although the last sentence may well be true).

Grond and cloudz like this.
  18. Xue Sheng

Grond likes this.
  19. aaradia

We are having our first tournament since pre-pandemic. That is almost 4 years ago as we were having our tournament come up right when covid hit! Tournament is early May.

So, I had to drop a lot of what I was working on and come up with my tournament material. The forms I was working on in CLF were NOT good choices for tournament, so I have been dropping that and crash learning my CLF tournament forms and tournament cuts of said forms. Also, coming up with tournament cuts of my TCC forms.

Also, I have been slowly getting back into combatives. I started attending push hands/ moving step classes again. Not quite ready to do sparring with strangers without a mask, just yet. But I have been doing some informal sessions with one of the best sparrers in my school. Starting up bag workouts too. Stick fighting class was moved and now clashes with another class, so that is an issue.

Also, trying to get ready to test in TCC. That is taking a bit of a hit in priorities because of tournament prep, but I am trying to keep up on that.

I need to figure out how to wear a n95 style mask with head gear before returning to sparring class., Bunch of new students that I don't know and trust covid-wise in that class. I don't have to wear a mask with my partner for informal sessions. She is one of my best friends at the school and I trust getting close to her with no mask. It is far easier to wear a mask in push hands/ moving step class.

Mitch, Nachi and Grond like this.
  20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This has such a Once Upon a Time in the West vibe. Henry Fonda in my nightmares.

Xue Sheng likes this.