What Ryu best suits You?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Peaceful Tiger, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

I have come to the conclusion that Gyokko Ryu best suits me, because it works well for small people (apparently it was invented by a woman....and most Japanese women are tiny).
    It allows shorties like me to really get into a larger opponents space and do some damage.

Does anyone else have a favourite Ryu?, or what Ryu do you find it hardest to get the hang of?

2. cj256

cj256 Valued Member

i really like togakure ryu aspects of ninjutsu it just seems so clever ...metsubishi , shuriken ,shuko ..... i reckon this ryu suits me best as ive always loved throwing things around :D and love climbing stuff the higher the better too :rolleyes:

mmmmm leaping and mesmorism :D

3. ShadowHunter

ShadowHunter Living the Dream

Since its in my sig and I train in it I'd have to be biast and say Togakure-ryu, wouldn't mind doing some Koga stuff but Togakure-ryu all the way!

4. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

i think i like Koto ryu, big blows big stances just right for a big man like me *cough* :D

5. MattK

MattK New Member

Im still tying to understand the ryu's. Could someone give me a breif discription of each one, or a website or something?

cheers

6. LimeyDog

LimeyDog New Member

I too like Gyokko Ryu, but at the moment am looking into Takagi Yoshin Ryu and Kukishinden Ryu.

Regarding Shinden Fudo Ryu the movements remind me a lot of the Kenpo system I used to study. However I am addicted to Budo Taijutsu/Toshindo. I love it.

Regards
    Patrick
    Toshindo-ka

7. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

NO!! too much info to go through them all, look for bujinkan then have a look for each school on the search or net, there is loads out there so you wont need spoonfeeding!!

8. MattK

MattK New Member

Yeah i guess thats a fair point.

9. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

email me, i have got a chunk of info on the schools, nicked from the net but a good source!

10. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Would that source happen to be Richardson Shidoshi?

11. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Nah, i have had a good time trawling the net and just added the best bits together,i dont talk to Paul any more

12. peachies

peachies New Member

with regards to having a favourite ryu or getting the 'hang' of a ryu - I think most of us here (all though not all) are beginners.
    As such expecting to understand the feeling of each different school is probably impossible, imo.
    The people who went to the tai-kai's and trained in Japan during certain years, and those living in Japan would have the best idea I would think.
    Watching a vid and getting stuff off the net doesn't give one competence!!!, just info. And info is everywhere - too easy.

13. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

How do you know what other people have done, how do you know they have not been to japan or taikai's, its a bit of a random generalisation dont you think? and some of us have been around long enough to understand some of the schools that are been taught in the recent years and some have been to Japan, not everyone on here is a school kid!

14. peachies

peachies New Member

I was refferring to the majority of people here, obviously not all of them. I guess it's just a matter of perceptions.
    The art didn't arrive here until 1982 (and different schools were not focussed on then). So surely we are all beginners, at least most of us. I wasn't havn't a pop at any one here or 'dissing' anyone. Sorry if it came across like that. :Angel:

15. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

No worries, i am always quick to jump in, i just dont like been tarred with Jibrans brush!! *cough*

16. peachies

peachies New Member

I guess the real reality is that it's only the bbd students who have a real understanding of the different schools :)

17. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

in my opinion on the bbd....................
    :D :D :D

18. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Greg calm down deep breaths now.....

19. Da Xiong

Da Xiong Massochistic SOB

Well, it would seem that the most popular Ryu is the togakure, probably thanks to Hatsumi and stephen K hayes writing so many books. However, i belong to the much less popular ho shin ryu. I think I probably like it better than togakure just because it was how i was trained. togakure is good to, our ho shin ryu, has recently been accepted by a bujinkan togakure ryu school, and so we've been doing a great deal of cross training. Their are definate similarities in both, as I believe there are in all ryus. I like the ho shin better just because the movements seem to be much more direct and effective, but that's probably just because i've been with hoshin longer so its movements are just more comprehensive to me.

20. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Peachies, now i know who you are AND where you live, stop winding Greg up, you know what he`s like when he gets his nappies in a twist about the bbd, we all agreed to stop bashing them!. :cool:

Great weekend by the way, thankyou.