what resistance band to use?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by LeighB, May 30, 2011.

1. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

ok been wondering something , im trying to add body weight exercises such as dips and pullups to my workouts , ive tried using a method known as synaptic facilitation i believe its called where you do lots of singles instead of reps in order to get the volume in , my problem is when i have planned De-loads i have to reduce the amount od dips and pullups i do , which always leave me back at square one and i dont get nowhere .

so ive decided to use a resistance band to help me, the question is i don't know which one is best . im looking for one in terms of how much lbs/kg of resistance.
    Im weighing at 95kg atm and i can do 1-2 pullups and 1-2 dips how much resistance am i looking for in a band?

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

3. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

haha i never work in lbs always kg but sometimes ive had to convert. 2.2lbs = 1 kg
    also the website doesnt ship to UK which is a shame because there prices are good

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. Nojon

hehe I know..I was just showing the site because ive been buying smaller and smaller resistance bands from them , mostly for pullups..

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Resistance bands for pull-ups?

6. Nojon

yep. loop it over the bar, pull it through itself..put a foot in the loop and go!

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

The ones at the gym I train are similar to the 'green' on the previous site link, roughly 1.75" wide, but like you was doing singles, then doubles. As my bench and other lifts got better I was eventually able to get upto 5 for chins and dips but took me months.

For dips they helped til I could do 3 sets of 5, then I just went with unassisted making very ungirly sounds, but for chin ups I took so long getting the right length on the wall bar that I could have done more so have just gone for sets with or just after my first lift. If I leave them too late in a workout I can't do more than 4 and now that I can do upto 7 the only way to add more is get more reps in when I'm not too fatigued.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  8. Moi

At the risk of sounding stupid, why? Seems to be making them easier?

9. Nojon

Im not talking about the ones that have handles at the end.. check my link, same Idea, different application..

Because I couldnt do more than 3-4 alone in a set, its like asking why would you want someone spotting your benchpress..

10. Princess Haru

When you only do 0-2 then resistance bands really help get a feel for the movement with some help and some resistance. You can make the band longer to offer less help as the exercise gets more manageable. Took me months to get past 2

11. Moi

I understand now. Couldn't understand how they'd help but I was thinking of added resistance not assistance.

12. Princess Haru

I also use resistance bands put around the squat rack at just below knee height to help give me an indication of how low I should go when I'm already busy thinking about my controlled decline, knee position, keeping the right curve in my back, pushing through the feet, hip drive