What physical feats should a *woman* be able to do?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Microlamia, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I just realised I never answered the thread title! I agree with Coma's suggestions as a basic minimum. After that I would say requirements should start being tweaked towards what ever sport someone does. However, everyone (as long as they are not suffering from a medical condition that prevents this - being overweight doesn't count) should be able to walk a couple of miles without the need for a sit down.

2. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Off topic but can I just say I love MAP. For unknown reasons it has the highest concentration of scientifically minded people I've seen outside of my department. Peer-reviewed literature is used to inspire/settle arguments :happy: *manly tear in eye* (although the fact that there can be genuine comment on favourite research engine is worryingly nerdy).

On topic: Yup, good points. Lack of women in certain sports kinda stops women from wanting to join & schools are definitely more likely to put effort/'advertising'* into boys' sport than girls'.

*Meaning a school will be very proud that guys have won all their rugby this season, a girls school is less likely to tell prospective parents about a perfect hockey season

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yeah that is a good point. Everyone should be fit for everyday life, but there's no need, say, to be able to deadlift 3x your weight if you want to be an endurance runner.

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I'm jealous, OH squat for bodyweight is always impressive!
    I couldn't agree more, it's sad when there's not enough competitors to find a good match up of the same weight and ability. I used to see it in sparring all the time, the guys would match up reasonably well but there was always a mismatch somewhere with the few women I trained with.

I like this comment :D

I think if you're going to argue about anything which has been studied the available literature is always the best start. FWIW I only know of one other forum where studies are used so often yet it's almost overused there. I've seen months of argument on whether zero carb, about 100g carb or high carb is the healthiest diet. These guys will agree 90% then argue ad infinatum about the smallest details.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. Atre

Atre Valued Member

I'm pretty certain that's what all the professional researchers spend their life doing anyway.

6. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

At least they're being paid for it!

7. righty

righty Valued Member

I find this situation is cropping more and more regularly for me. I've showed up to comps only to be told my division has been canceled because not enough women showed up. And they wouldn't let me go up a grade division for the experience or compete with the men. Then they wanted to give me trouble about getting a refund.

Particularly as one of the heavier women I'm at the point competition wise where for some I may have to make a decision on whether I want to try and push to compete with the men.

8. gcollin

gcollin Banned Banned

I have a unlimited respect for women, I don't think there is any man in the world that could endour the pains of labor.

9. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Keeping a phonecall under 15 minutes would be quite a feat for the women I know!

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yeah, cos no man has ever experienced pain.

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Pushing a baby out of a vagina is, scale-wise, equivalent to pushing an avocado out of your penis. Grok on that for a minute. Yes, some men have experienced excruciating pain too, but 90-something percent of women experience the pain of child-birth in their lifetimes, whereas 90-something percent of men don't experience whatever excruciating pain you're thinking of. I'd be careful about saying anything flippant about the child birthing process. It's hardcore.

12. holyheadjch

I do so love it when people pull numbers out of thin air to support their argument. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Until recently, 90% of American women had at least one child in their lifetime; now it's about 80%. Women in America and other modernized nations have fewer pregnancies than women in developing nations. Hence, the rate for the world as a whole is at or above 90%. My comment of 90-something percent of women going through childbirth is absolutely based in fact.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65O53O20100625

So do you want to address the substance of my post now?

14. holyheadjch

You forgot to mention the fact that the majority of births, certainly in America are administered under epidural or with other forms of pain relief.

I'll accept the proposition that child birth is the most painful experience people elect to endure, but it is certainly not the worst pain imaginable.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

How about we keep what has so far been a very productive thread on topic for a change? :)

Mitch

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I can't believe they gave you grief about a refund when they couldn't run your division!

I have the opposite problem to you, I'm at the lighter end of the weight range and often grappling competition categories for women are 'below 60kg' or 'above 60kg', so I run the risk of getting squashed! There is a Judo competition coming up in my area in October and the men have about 3 or 4divisions, but the women's divisions are 'brown belt and below' and 'blackbelt'. As I'm only a lowly yellow belt, if I enter, I'm likely to get about 3 seconds on the mat before being dumped on my head!

17. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Jeez that sounds dangerous. Brown belt and below is such a wide category, you could have a brown belt versus a raw beginner who has been to three sessions.

18. righty

righty Valued Member

Regarding the Judo competitions I've started competing occasionally as well - as a yellow belt. Granted for me there are a lot more women around my weight. Hopefully they will also have some sort of weight divisions going for you.

From what I've seen the above and below brown divisions is pretty strange. Around here they will do it all by weight and if they get enough people they'll put in a 'novice' division of whites and yellows. But Judo I've noticed is one MA where you can't predict the outcome based on belt at all. I am seeing lots lower belts beating the higher ones. Hell, I beat a brown myself. The only reason I can think of is there are a lot of black belts around in your area.

Regarding letting less experienced people compete I haven't seen it to be a problem. Like any sport, there is a certain point where the coach will think you are safe to compete. In the more important and bigger comps, the ones that are feeders to national or international selection that attract the higher grades and competition oriented folks will often have a cutoff like a minimum of orange belt, so they can at least say you can breakfall.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yes but Frodo's a freak of nature, unnaturally beautiful, incredibly strong, a dazzling conversationalist, women want to be here, men want to be with her and she can kick your behind if she so chooses.

20. Commander Nitro

Commander Nitro Valued Member

Pretty much the same as a man although women tend to have better balance and also tend to have better fine motor skills.