What not to do

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Preacher Wilson, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Preacher Wilson

Preacher Wilson Valued Member

It's been a long time since i last posted on here and this seems to be the best category for my next post....
    "what not to do".....
    1.I've learned through experience to not make uneducated assumptions regarding other styles/stylists and their effectiveness
    2. Dont allow the actions of a few dictate your feelings towards a style as a whole.
    3.As a member of any art that could be considered "traditional"..Don't be content with lack of application in your curricullum based on the "its just too dangerous" logic. i have yet to "accidently" gouge my sparring partners eyes out or rip off a body part.
    4. lastly, i learned that appreciating other styles and their usefulness does not make me "disloyal" to anything. but that actually, allowing myself to remain within one box of thinking can cause me to be disloyal to myself or those i intend to protect...and if it hasnt yet, i havent sparred the right individual.

.profound, i know ;)
    ...here's to a new year and broadened horizons
    :hat:

2. Effort

Effort New Member

And I also noticed one more to do:
    Never assume that if your sparring partner is more effective than you are it automatically means that his style is better than yours. It may also mean you are not taking the extra step to perfect your style. That assumption led a lot of practitioners to try new styles every now and then and ultimately perfecting nothing!

3. Perplexion

Perplexion Valued Member

I Philosophise that training should only involve your skeleton. If you have a sparring partner, only add bodyweight. One sparring partner will allow eyes on the back of you're head not to develope. Multiple trainig partners I think is safer than you think. They will be more relaxed and just can't all get into grip on you or find an opening. You will become more tense, but remember to only wrestle. I look for the day maybe to suddenly find 5 sparring partners and take 5 years to master. I am still by myself.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I wonder why.......

5. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

1. You’re looking at your feet or weapons
    This is a tough one, especially in the beginning.
    Beginners tend to look at their stances… or at their hands… the oncoming punch… everywhere except eye level gazing straight ahead where they should be.
    If you can’t see a punch coming, how can you block it?

2. You’re holding your breath
    Your body needs oxygen to power your muscle. Whenever you hold your breath, you’re robbing your body of the very energy you need to fuel it. Holding your breath also leads you to the next mistake.

3. You’re too tense!
    You need to relax! I know that’s easier said that done but it makes responding efficiently and effectively that much more difficult. You also lose a lot of power.

4. You’re only moving your hands
    This is where you ignore your stances and just hit using the force your arms and hands and not you’re entire body.
    This starts to make your motion more slappy than powerful.

5. You’re too high in your stance
    Bend your knees more and put more weight on the balls of your feet.
    This will help you to be spring loaded so you can be quick and nimble.

6. Your stance is too wide
    Do you like getting kicked in the groin? Then make sure you aren’t too wide in your stance.
    Be sure to work on your “Toe/Heel alignment.” This basically means that if you were to draw a line down the middle of your stance from the big toe of your lead foot and the heel of your rear foot would align right down your centerline.

7. You’re too shallow in your stance
    By not stepping back far enough, you’re too top heavy. You only need to step where when you kneel down that your lead knee is aligned with the toes of your rear foot (Heel/Toe alignment).

8. You use too big of circles
    You want to exaggerate your moves which means you will use larger circles than you really want to get the motion down.
    However, later in your training, you should begin to compress your circles and always keep within your “outer rim.”

9. You’re moving too fast
    In an effort to really rip things, students often try to go too fast when they should be moving slower to get the moves and body mechanics down.
    By going slow, many of the above stated mistakes could be avoided.

10. Your elbows are too far out
    If your elbows are out, you are losing power, telegraphing and more.
    By keeping you elbows anchored you will block and hit with greater effect and not open yourself up to unwanted counter strikes.

Be mindful of these 10 common mistakes and work towards eliminating them.

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Hannibal what's going on son?

7. Hannibal

I don't know....but I suspect Falmer are involved at some point

8. Perplexion

Perplexion Valued Member

How about just being thrown into the ring to introduce into the life of trauma at the beginning, now pretty adjusted and conditioned. Take the Founders who had no teachers or instruction. Bodhidharma Perhaps I don't know but probably started with Instinct and Refinement. My story is somewhat like the first ninja exept never had a teacher. I was like you all with that safe lifestyle before the world crashed on me.

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I was like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.

10. Hannibal

No lolly gagging!

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You're either the bravest person I've ever met... Or the biggest fool.

12. Perplexion

Perplexion Valued Member

Bodybuilding Concepts: Damage and Repair

1. Attacked-Damage-Nutrition-Sleep-Repair 2. Tolerance and Explosion: Charge energy further by concepts of introvertedness- Psychic energy directed Inward. Explosion should not be a concern. 3. Trying: Sprinting not jogging. 4. Collapse: Do not sleep without exhaustion. 5. Topic: Attacked in forearm, humiliated in Chemistry, " You are no good!" : Any attack will surface in Future: How it will surface is unknown, but more attack, the stronger at Topic. 6. Has to be Self-Relied: You cannot get stronger in a gang. Divine Intervenion should be your only Help. 7. Defense over Offense. 8. Avoidance. 9. Interdiscliplinary- Study from ants to the temperature of Pluto and perhaps what toe-nails are made of. Concepts can be formed from Fiction. Comedy can make you tricky. Surroundings can be a Puzzle- Object-Subject-Art. 10. Words are Arrows and synonynm and antonyms will change until you reach Wordless. 11. If you want to reach Super -Never Have Confidence 12. Choose Pride over Unacceptable standards. A Rampage is the End so Stay forever Cool. Perplexion's Disability- Communication. I cannot Lead, Team nor Follow. A Polite Antisocial; A Hermit. 24 years. Surrounded.

13. Perplexion

Perplexion Valued Member

If you want to know my situation. When I was younger, I did not graduate from high school. To them, I was young then. Probably thought I was just another one. Some "strange things" to them- the citizens were complaining. As I got older and older, I just became less acceptable to just pass. It was planned to put me away when I got reasonably old enough to just snare me. Well that is what I mean by Bad role model. I was unlike the others who just don't last. king of a hill. conspiracies,conspiracies.

14. Hannibal

Can we add "don't do hallucenogenic drugs" to the list please.....

15. righty

righty Valued Member

Dirty Falmer arrows.

16. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

You know, I was just thinking the same thing.
    Someone is suffering a reality disconnect.

17. Perplexion

Perplexion Valued Member

Now you know somewhat of what I do. I wish it was legal sometimes to be a Superhero. Did you know it is more legal to be a SuperVillian? Being Hunted is a more accepable consequence than Rewarded in the Action World. I will call back in the Future to let you know I did not die. " What does not kill you- Makes you Stronger." I did not put an Explanation point. I just got on this web to make me weaker. As my first entry says- "I been sleeping too much instead of training". I hope I am more Scared Now. Anti-Depres

18. Perplexion

Perplexion Valued Member

I do not do drugs. I have a Psychological Talent to do so many things. It can appear druggish sometimes. But its just Psychology. Is kii real? Psychology and Life-Force can be put together. Exit!

19. Hannibal

Perplexion I mean this in all seriousness, but have you or are you seeing a medical professional or counsellor? It sounds like you have a few things going on they may be able to help you with