what martial art/s are you currently practicing?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by TheMachine, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Christy Angel

Christy Angel Banned Banned

Attached Files:

2. TeamAmerica

TeamAmerica New Member

3. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

I have been working with a boxing coach and just got started in Muay Thai. I have also been continuing in Tai Chi (Sun Style) and my first art, Taekwondo. I somehow find the time to work some Jujutsu in once in a while. I just basically started working out with anyone and everyone this last year. I am enjoying the learning and sharing. I figure the more I expose myself to, the better off I am. I would love to get into some Kali/Escrima.

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Currently practicing Hapkido (though I've been very sick and injured, so I haven't been there in about 2 months)

Did a little bit of Muay Thai and no gi BJJ.

Now I'm looking into either Jun Fan JKD, Judo, Shaolin Chuan Fa Kung Fu, Yang Style Taijiquan, Judo, Greco Roman Wrestling, or Submission Wrestling.

5. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

i do chinese wrestling and boxing :woo:

6. UninspiredUser

UninspiredUser Valued Member

I'm studying Muay Thai and Wing Chun. I also practice other Chinese martial arts occasionally. I don't know whether it counts as a martial art but i'm doing fencing aswell, I haven't been in a while though.

7. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Inosanto-Lacoste Kali, Muay Thai under the Thai Boxing Association of the USA, Jun Fan/JKD, Combat Submission Wrestling, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

8. UninspiredUser

UninspiredUser Valued Member

Nice... don't you find it a bit hard learning them all at once though?

9. Aikido and TaeKwonDo.
    Have always been interested in checking out Krav Maga.
    May look into BJJ when I've got further on in my other MA's.
    Don't really want to confuse matters by having a million MA's.
    Would have thought it would be better to be good at one than not-very-good at many.

10. Waldo_Pepper

Waldo_Pepper Aikidokey

Used to do Tae Kwon Do, but now moved on to Aikido.

11. KayamaTetsuo

KayamaTetsuo New Member

Martial art

Im currently Doing variations of jkd - karate, wing chun, tai chi etc

12. GoldenDragon

GoldenDragon New Member

What Style you ask?

For eight years i've studied Okinawan Shorin-Ryu, but i've begun to form my own distinct fighting style from the experience i have gained.

13. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I currently practice NeijiaQuan Kungfu.

James

14. mystik

mystik In for a challenge

I do tae kwan do, Kito Ryu Jujitsu. Soon i'll be boxing and over the some im going to take some caporiea. I was in hwrangdo for awhile. I suppose i'm not any of them at the moment actually I had to quit last week or so until I can get some more money lol

15. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Shen Tao Tai Chi and just started Black scorpion ground fighting.

16. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Taoquan - I've never heard of Black Scorpion, is it an independent style or a subset of Shen Tao Tai Chi or a part of another style? I have an odd hobby of cataloging gungfu styles, you see (I was recently embarassed to recognize Baguazhang on my little cousin's Naruto fighting game when he was playing it) and I'm quite curious as this one is completely out of my experience.

on-topic:
    The only style I am currently consistently practicing is Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

17. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Black scorpion ground fighting has a lineage to Wu-tang temple.
    based on animal styles:
    Salamander stregthening,
    Tortoise,
    Turtle,
    Venoumous Frog
    Among many others

It is a ground fighting style that prepares the practitioner for Python grappling and ground fighting.

It is a unique style of ground fighting as we are taught to fight from, literally, every single fighting posture. We go from standing, to deep squats, deep horse stance, middle horse, crawling on hands and knees, full body rolling etc. In all these stances we are required to do toughening and move flawlessly between them.
    And then we learn applications in all these stances, for example deep squats we actually learn to hop (for movement) while throwing punches and even kicks. We do a move called caterpillar rolls where you roll back and forth along a 15-20' mat building up incredible speed. this way if you are knocked down with multiple opponents surrounding you, you can roll as quick as you can, learning to break ankles, knees etc.
    The most interesing movement I have learned so far is Manta ray, we actually practice with someone putting on a arm bar behind our back and pinning us down face first. We learn to at least be able to get out knees and stregthen the neck and lower body in such a way as to be able to slide and move out of the way taking pressure of the hold. Thus enabling a practitioner, to break the hold. pretty cool stuff.

18. sholo86

sholo86 Teoul Moon Kung Fu

I train in Teoul Moon Kung Fu.
    A comprehensive chinese martial arts system developed in Korea that embodies the Shaolin Five Animal, PaKua, Hung Gar, Preying Mantis, Tai Chi and Chi Gong

19. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

Hapkido
    JJJ
    Will be back in TKD this summer

20. Terao

Terao Valued Member

Ninjutsu :D