What martial art(s) allows practitioner to defeat a much stronger/bigger opponent than them?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by EdiSco, Mar 20, 2022.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Well, you have a lot more training under your belt, but I'm 23 years in and have yet to experience how having less strength and shorter reach than your opponent gives you an advantage over them.

I've seen plenty of people get really good at getting into striking range of taller people, as well as getting really good at the mechanics of striking and throwing to maximise the power they have, but that is building skills to mitigate disadvantages, not advantages in themselves.

aaradia likes this.
  2. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

The most important thing to always remember, be defensive, not offensive. My wife is 4'11, there is no way she can rush herself into a strike, she waits till the person tries to strike her, then she counters. Practice blocking, then practice throwing punches, there are a number of blocks and strikes you can do, do not think about what block for what strike, just block. Let your instinct do the blocking, once you can quickly block, you will be able to quickly see and attack target. This is the main principal in any martial arts, however, many schools do not teach this because many Sensei do not understand, believe, or know how to teach it. Instinct can not be taught, you have to develop it yourself, as you do other things in martial arts. I hope this helps, if you want any more ideas or suggestions, do not hesitate to ask.