What makes you a fighter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Simon, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

In your mind what makes a fighter?

Would you call yourself a fighter and if not then why?

What attributes do you have (or lack) that would have others recognising you as a fighter?

axelb likes this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Someone who has sought out, and been in, a lot of fights. I don't think a fighter has to be good at fighting, just game for it with a lot of experience.

No, because I only have a handful of fights under my belt, and I have not gravitated towards violence in either my professional or private life. Fighting isn't something I enjoy, or get any satisfaction from.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I more of a lover myself, but surely knowing the words to this is a good start....

4. David Harrison

Also, having the eye of the tiger is more or less a requirement.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  5. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Fighting regularly?

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Literally? One who fights.

Figuratively? One who displays grit.

7. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

It depends somewhat on what you mean by 'fighter'.
    People are said, for instance, to 'battle cancer' (or other diseases). Are they fighters?
    This is a distinct notion from someone who literally physically fights in combat with other humans.

For the former, anyone who has a long battle against something and shows perseverance and tenacity can generally be labelled a fighter. Someone who didn't take their circumstances lying down, who rose up to battle against bad circumstances, whether they ended up winning or losing, can be considered a fighter in that sense.

For the latter definition, you can further break it down. Is someone who has had 1 amateur fight a fighter? What about someone who has been in a bar fight?
    To be 'a fighter' in this sense, I think, requires an ongoing pursuit of physical combat. Not 'I was in a fight once' or 'I got in a couple bar brawls when I was younger'.
    Someone who seeks out street fights every week is a fighter. (One making poor decisions in my opinion, but still a fighter.)
    Someone who trains in combat sports and regularly takes fights is a fighter.
    Someone who trains in combat sports but doesn't take fights is not a fighter, in my opinion.

I am not a fighter, and I don't think I ever will be. (I may fight at some point, not sure on that, but even if I do I don't think that would make me a fighter unless I make a habit out of it.)

Nachi, Smitfire and David Harrison like this.
  8. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

They fight.

No, because I don't fight.

I lack fighting.

Sorry Simon, couldn't help myself! :) (Couldn't fight the urge!)

David Harrison likes this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I would concur what a few have said: someone who seeks out, or enjoys fighting.

As a description comparable to a group of martial artists, I would refer to someone who actively endures a conflict or spars with others who are difficult to overcome.

I would not consider my self a fighter in the common sense, although I have actively sought fights in the past, I do not feel any benefit from physically hurting people outside of consensual sparring.

My biggest issue I found when working towards full contact was that I never hit hard enough, I always held back, even when the partner was going 100%

David Harrison likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd say a fighter is simply one who seeks fights and gets them in any context really. Some BJJ guys who compete a lot don't consider themselves fighter's because it doesn't allow punching and kicking but it's still something in my eyes.

I'm a fighter currently. Although I think it's definitely something you can say and put behind you. Like "I WAS a fighter"....

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I love a scrap firstly, I also actively spar and compete although now with weapons with grappling in HMB. Only empty hand training I am doing due to time restraints is my Smurf-Jitsu but I do miss gloving up (or not in Kyokushin) and having a scrap or sparring and I am looking at a local boxing club to keep my hands sharp.

12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

A fighter is obviously anyone who has done it professionally or competitively, but outside of that anyone who has engaged in fights or if they haven't, is prepared to do so and trained to do so. I guess some people cond instinctively be fighters even from a young age, where you get some kids who avoid confrontation or "fighting" of any sort where others will dig in and stand their ground.

I would call myself a fighter as I've had a few encounters and wouldn't hesitate under the right circumstances or if attacked. I'm someone who is prepared to step in to certain situations and prepared for the possible outcomes.

Confidence and ability go a long way, the ability to stay calm under stressful or dangerous situations and in some ways enjoying the adrenaline rush of a situation.

13. David Harrison

Training is very different to fighting.

Do you love the animosity, atmosphere and adrenaline of real scraps?

Dan93 likes this.
  14. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Fully aware of that David, I Love the adrenaline rush but don't misunderstand what I said to mean as fighting outside of training and competition, If needed fine but only had to defend myself once in many years as documented in a previous post many moons ago, I would rather leave that to a controlled environment and concentrate on my endeavour to be a good human instead.

15. David Harrison

Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately.

Just wanted to say that I know you're fully aware of that, and I remember your post. Just asking because your previous post didn't make it clear, and some people do love scrapping in the streets!

Personally, the physical side of it doesn't bother me so much, but I absolutely hate the buildup of social violence. Something about the atmosphere that is just horrible.

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

No problem David.
    Yup the build up/escalation leading up to a physical assault is where most unravel before it ever gets physical. My old Krav club encouraged us to role play swearing, shouting and use aggressive posturing whilst training and pressure testing to help to desensitise, not Kravs biggest fan but I did like that aspect of the training and I know the Geoff Thompson was also an advocate of this in training.

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I see a "fighter" as someone who 'fights' a lot.... in my mind, that would be competitors (boxers, MMA'ers, etc). Could also be someone who just loves to fight (street fighter).

No. I see myself as a 'student of self defense' and the last thing I want to do is actually get into a fight.

The biggest thing is that I am going to find a way away from a fight unless I absolutely have to. If I can get away from a fight by deception, lying, talking my way out, apologizing, or whatever, then I will take it.
    If I have to engage, I am going to try to use the least amount of force that I need to use to get out of the situation.
    To me, once you get into a 'fight', you have to realize the price you may pay in injury or legal consequences... better to avoid the whole thing if you can.

axelb and David Harrison like this.