What makes jujitsu effective

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Katsu, Sep 29, 2012.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Meaning?

I said that already. Please read carefully.

And? Where are you getting at?

Was the point ever "BJJ can't take a guy down and submit him"? I don't think so.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The point he is getting is that you are making invalid criticisms through limited experience/exposure

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

edited

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. Hannibal

So we agree Contemporary JKD it is then!

Ill do good group rates for my MAP friends... :)

5. Dead_pool

Did you see the BJJer get punched or have problems with the takedown? No, and do you know why, because If You train for SD or to fight, then you need to cover striking, clinch and ground, if you have abilty in these areas, then your difficult to have a fight with, which will make leaving that fight easier for you, not easy, but easier.

ps BJJ'er - especially in Gi only schools have poor takedowns and no striking, however, they realise this and often bring in outside teachers for classes.

6. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

In a vacuum, BJJ techniques are more pressure-ready...within the confines of its own rules. You're forgetting that. To make the statement that BJJ is as prepared to face multiples (whether other arts do it poorly or not), you'd have to show me BJJers dealing with multiples. Otherwise it's just fluff.

BJJ spends the vast majority of its training time on the ground. That's not a theory, that's a fact. The ground is the worst place to be in a SD scenario. Do you want to know what to do IF you are forced to go there? Yes, I've already said that. Can you incorporate some BJJ in a SD curriculum? Yeah you go definitely do that. Do you want to rely on BJJ as a stand alone art for SD? There are better choices out there.

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

You didn't answer. What's your name? First name will suffice.

8. Hannibal

I will argue that case against any art that is not cohesive
    - you have written off karate, JJJ, Judo, Aikido and a plethora of others with the same statement

Logically you are actually arguing against your own style you do realize that?

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Can you clarify?

10. Hannibal

You train at the jujitsu school Fusen referenced correct?

Work it back from there

11. Dead_pool

That depends on what the Situation is doesnt it?
    SD isnt having a fight in a bar.
    And who said BJJ as a stand alone art? Everyone here favours cross training, BJJ does cover the basics quite well however.

If you care to look at the MCMAP after action reports theres lots of use of its BJJ portion whilst in contact with the armed enemy.

12. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Some clarification...

13. Hannibal

Lets play compare BJJ experience then -

For me I have trained directly under Jack McVicker and Chen Moraes. Also I trained with Kyke Watson whilst at Jacks, although he was a Blue back then.

On a seminar/one off basis Royce Gracie, Marcel Louzado and Megaton Diaz.

That does not include the other guys I have had direct exposure to - Marc Mcfann, Erik Paulson, Matt Clempner, Steve Crutchley and others

Your turn

14. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Me. That's been the point of the posts you've been quoting for two pages. You know what a straw man is, right?

Dude, are you going to cough up your name yes or no?

15. Dead_pool

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10627375&postcount=38

''http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20...080927-01.html

''After stripping the terrorist of the weapon, the terrorist gripped Gibson’s rifle. Without the ability to use a firearm, Gibson engaged the enemy with his hands.

“Then he ripped off my helmet and all my (night vision) optics, so I couldn’t see all that well,” recalled Gibson.

The terrorist then began to reach for something hiding in his clothing.

“I stopped him ‘cause I thought maybe he was grabbing a knife to attack me with,” said Gibson.

The terrorist was reaching for the detonator to his suicide vest. The terrorist screamed “bomb!” in English.

“I thought at that moment that I was probably going to die,” explained Gibson.

As Gibson worked to stop the terrorist from detonating his vest, the terrorist had maneuvered into a position that was cutting off Gibson’s circulation.

Gibson, in an effort to save himself, began to hit the terrorist as hard as he could. His blows rendered the terrorist unconscious.

“I got my weapon into his stomach and fired,” said Gibson. “And he came back to conscious after that, I knew I got him. I stood up and neutralized him.” ''
    ''

## original link no longer works ##

16. Hannibal

Why do you need his name?

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Not even close for me, but I'd like you to elaborate your previous point before starting a new one.

18. Dead_pool

Why do you want my name 'dude', if you want a date, a girl like me's gonna need more then a cursory debate on a messageboard before she opens up.

19. Hannibal

I did - you train at the school listed by Fusen correct?

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

That might be the grand finale...