What makes jujitsu effective

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Katsu, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

]

this is an incrediably pig head post, you have regurgitated some second hand information without any attempt to find credible sources, BJJ is basicly Judo ? 2004 called they want there statement back.

2. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

This fight is pretty much what I imagine when I think street fight. Loads of people watching, but nobody jumping in. Even the fighters friends.[/QUOTE]

loads of people get involved when alcohol is a factor when your out, don't think you seen many fights then. I know know of a young man walking past a group of drunk idiots who for a laugh pushed him over in town and killed him think there was four of them they were trying to start a fight with a random man walking home after a night out.

3. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

so what are you trying to say bjj does not come from judo ?

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

also Sakuraba apart from some judo in high school learned to fight almost exclusively in a western martial art genius.

5. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Firstly, I'd disagree on the blocking concept. But more importantly, the idea of "MMA fighters control range like no RBSD school can teach" is flat out incorrect. Controlling range is a huge part (integral) of RBSD training, all the way from maintaining range so you're not able to be attacked, and can de-escalate, through to rushing in to engage if needed. MMA, on the other hand, teaches you to change ranges incredibly well... which is a different concept entirely. As far as the idea of deciding to rush in against a guy with a stick because there's "just one of them", that's not controlling the range, it's changing it (and honestly, making a really bad decision in the process).

That's a couple of school kids with an audience. It's not really anything like a street fight. On a large number of levels.

You move back to sprawl... it's kinda inherent in the movement. And while it's a little slower to shoot in as well, the issues with kicking on a soft floor are a fair bit more severe.

As to the last there, no, UFC didn't "expose a gap in training". There wasn't one, unless you were training for UFC competition, or grappling contests. Seriously, there was no "gap in training". Boxing isn't lacking due to it not having any kicks, or ground work, but it's a different environment.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

thats not what you said, you said they are essentially the same thing, a good sign of someone who has never trained in either.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You're right, I don't see many fights, because I'm never in situations that require, or let me become a target to, violence.

What do you think that young man should have done, what could we learn there?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There is a difference between learning to fight and learning to defend yourself but there is overlap.
    One thing in favour of developing MMA-like (note I'm not saying you have to leanr MMA) well rounded fighting skills is that they serve as a good base.
    You can do many differnet scenarios (and they are great) but reality will be different again.
    Good fighting skills travel with you from scenario to scenario.
    Put a good boxer in as many scenarios as you like and his punching skills will be useful.
    However teach someone only RBSD skills and I think you'll be lacking that base of reliable fighting skill that underpins quite a lot.
    To my mind the best route to consistant success is to teach broad fighting skills backed up with contextual self defence skills and the knowledge of when to apply what.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Not to mention he got most of it wrong.
    But he's new and said he's never done ma before, so it's a developing interest.

Also Katsu:
    SD is more about prevention than cure. Learn not to walk in dodgy areas at night, avoid dodgy pubs and areas around pubs.

Also, regarding rape - BJJ

10. Pretty In Pink

That is a brilliant statement. I agree completely. You cannot be lacking in any area when it comes to self defense. This includes weapons training.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Perhaps not a gap in training per se then but certainly a gap in what people thought their training was preparing them to do.
    Art Jimmerson wore his famous one glove (IIRC) because he thought he'd be catching people with his jab all night and didn't want to break his hand. One quick shot showed him the error of thinking that when other people are free to grapple and clinch with no ref to reset them again.

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Id argue sprawling is more about moving down than backwards, everything below your waist should vanish right on the spot.

is there any evidence that the Canvas in UFC 1 was substantially different (if at all) than the standard surfaces we see in most kickboxing, boxing, thai or modern MMA competition. Strikes seem to be thrown without much interference in all of those sports.

13. Mangosteen

@chris - I'd say there's a gap in training when you want to compete with other martial Artists.
    Or get shot on by a wrestler IRL.

Or get tackled but down want to hurt the person cos they're just a drunk mate.

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

thats why I got riled up, someone looking to learn shouldn't be making such bold (not to mention factually incorrect) statements after they have clearly glanced at the history without discerning the detail.

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdo7xuGYP-Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdo7xuGYP-Y[/ame]

Ken himself describes it as a hard kick ?

16. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

lots of people lots of alcohol lots of fights you will see a fight guaranteed on a Saturday night here and hopefully not be in one yourself small town mentality. I don't go out anymore for that reason I stay at home now.

I think that lad was in the wrong place at the wrong time he fell and hit his head on a curb

Why do bjj practitioners get so offended when you compare it to judo ?

17. Mangosteen

Cos kung fu is not exactl karate
    And bjj is not exactly judo.

Check the bjj belts thread for why.

18. Mangosteen

Chris - Hm... I don't sprawl back, I sprawl down.

And he didn't know how to sprawl. Or standup grappling too well.

19. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

for the 2nd time you didn't compare it to Judo you said there essentially the same thing which is an ignorant statement which you tried to back up with several factually incorrect facts about the history of martial arts in japan and a few of its famous figures. This to me demonstrates someone who both has no basic understanding of either art practically wise and has glanced at some of the history of both arts without going into detail. Someone who fits that description should not be speaking for or making claims about either art. Seems worth mentioning that I am an orange belt in Judo as well so this is not a partisan issue.

20. Pretty In Pink

Haha, I live in the biggest city in the Country! If I go out, I go to a place where I know the people are nice, the bouncers are cool, and the music is good.