What makes an effective martial arts instructor

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by koyo, May 27, 2007.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Having trained in traditional aikido and TJM for more than forty years I have had the privilage of seeing many aikido masters. ALL have been effective teachers. My question is what makes an effective aikido teacher.
    For the sake of discussion I shall say.
    REMORSELESS RUTHLESS AND UTTERLY WITHOUT MALICE.

REMORSELESS in demanding that you face and overcome weaknesses within yourself.
    RUTHLESS in pointing them out
    WITHOUT MALICE all instruction is to draw out the spirit of the student.

I look forward to your replies.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  2. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

One of the abilities is to be able to provide alternative explanations for questions. Most often not everyone will be able to understand the explanation provided to the masses, some individualization is needed.

Same as the techniques you teach. Being of a mixed culture, there is much variation in the applications of techniques that suits each individual. Helping them understand this, is what makes a good teacher.

3. koyo

Hi Kensei

Coming from Yoseikan you already have the advantage of what could be called cross training.Since Mochizuki shihan incorporated numerous traditional arts into the creation of Yoseikan Budo. Would you say then that cross training would be a prerequisite for an effective instructor.?Myself I think so.

regards koyo

Minoro Mochizuki founder of Yoseikan Budo

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  4. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Keikai-Tsutsumi New Member

As a ju jutsu practitioner I would say why just an Aikido instructor? I think what makes a good Aikido instructor makes a good instructor in general.

Along with ruthless, remoreseless and without malice I would add persistance in wanting the best from a student and technique, understanding of difficulties and differences and the ability to question a person to have them work out the answer. Answer a question with a question.

The advantage of training under de Jong sensei was that he not only trained various arts but had taken the best from them all.

5. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Yes certainly. Like yourself, who mixes a lot with other clubs of other styles I do believe that a good instructor needs a broad perspective of what is out there. It shows that he has an open minded approach, which i like. Cross training brings about a lot of self reflection I believe, and that's great. I always want to improve myself. I also like an instructor that admits that he knows nothing about any particular subject. It shows that he is still learning himself, and is also totally honest.

The Yoseikan was made of of components from different arts, but it doesn't hurt to have more exposure. It keeps it fun! That's why I am considering putting off the preparatory phase of my Shodan for Aikido and study a bit of Tsutsumi Ryu and also Kenjutsu before I move further. Dunno if I am ready to become a full time instructor yet.

6. koyo

My own training is in traditional aikido riai. RIAI meaning complete. Therfore we have strikes trips sweeps stranggles etc , indeed an "unlimited " responce to attack. However I have also found much to learn from other arts and am fortunate to have friends in these arts of a similar mind.
    I would add that an instructor must have a "working knowledge" of other arts and a RESPECT for all arts.

Keikai

I take your point I should have entitled this thread martial arts instructor.Perhaps a MOD could change it.

regards koyo

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Title change made. :)

8. macker

macker Valued Member

I agree with this, totally honest.

9. koyo

Thanks wolfie

regards koyo

Edit

I am learning a great deal about martial arts from western swordsmen posting on the western and eastern sword comparisons thread. I suggest you check it out.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  10. koyo

Hi Keikai

Answer a question with a question. Often I would have a problem and approach Chiba shihan. He would either simply apply the technique and then say "Now do you understand?" or ask why I could not apply the technique I would answer "I cannot unbalnce him". "Change your timing." would be the reply. I would not be shown HOW to change it. It was up to me to find it for myself. Chiba shihan said I have no time so I make my students learn,

So a good teacher MAKES his students learn?

Attached Files:

11. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

That maybe so. Some students just want answers, but if you sense that they have an ability to find out for themselves then by all means encourage them to seek the answer.

I'd rather teach people, than robots.

12. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Hi koyo

I don't know that any teacher can MAKE a student learn. (as a school teacher I can vouch for that)

However, I know what you mean and I guess I would put it as makes the path to learning a little more obvious. Emphasis on little. Rather than give the answer gently push them in the direction of the answer. Answer their question or ask questions that direct their thinking along the path to the answer.

Mind you I often just say "Again please". After awhile they get the idea that perhaps they need to look at their technique. Sometimes I ask this just to see them do a good technique again. Keeps them on their toes.

13. koyo

Hi Keikai

I take your point that you cannot make students learn as such. Chiba shihan would direct your study for lower grades. However with higher grades or those who would become instructors he would say "I shall take you to a place from which there is no escape." THERE you had to teach yourself.
    I was taught never to question the instructor until I had made all effort to find out for myself. Seeing this effort the instructor would approach and give direction.
    Of course if I ever had a question that was relevant to my training I would recieve help
    but the answer most given was simply TRAIN.

regards koyo

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

One attribute, but not the only attribute, that I find among great instructors is their ability to "let go."

I've read stories of martial artists that may have lost in a duel, for example, and they dedicate years of hard training and come back the better and "redeem their honor." This single-minded determination makes them very dangerous and very effective at what they do! However, they are too set in their own goals to take on students, and if they do, it is only for their own selfish reasons, IME.

On the other hand, a good instructor inspires others without expecting others to fit into their own agenda. A good instructor does not use students as a tool to get what they want or as a means to justify their own greatness. Instead they do what they do because they love it and want others to experience the same.

I realize my words may lead to many conclusions, so I offer this one example that clarifies what I mean.

My karate instructor of many years had a young student that kept asking him when he was going to test next. My instructor told the young student that he was not ready to test yet and would test when my instructor said it was time. In private my instructor, since I was one of his senior students at the time, told me that every time the student asked when he was going to test that my instructor added 2 weeks to the time without telling the student. In fact the student was well ready to test and could have tested months earlier but because he asked when he was being tested, he had not been allowed to test yet. When the student finally stopped asking when he would test, a month later my instructor tested him.

You might not see eye to eye with me, but I saw this, "this very impatient student waited almost a year longer to test than he needed to... why did he stay with my instructor and not go somewhere else? I only think that he embarked on something greater and became a life time martial artist."

15. koyo

Hi Rebel

How are you these days?
    One thing all of the great masters I have ever seen had in common was Hibi Shoshon. Beginner's mind. No better example than Sekiya Shihan who, after a litfetimes study, in aikido ,katori shinto ryu and kashima shinto ryu was still so enthusiastic in his training and teaching. Constantly telling us how he was still learning.One of the reasons I am still training after all these years.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm doing well, been lurking around.

The beginner's mind is very important. In fact it is the first attribute that came to my mind for the topic of what makes an effective martial arts instructor but I choose to focus on a different attribute in my last post.

As for this beginner's mind, one aspect of a beginners mind is not just the willingness to learn, but I've found it is a willingness to learn from ANYONE.

A person can learn from a white belt just the same as from a master black belt. Lessons and contexts might be different but I say that lessons care not of what rank if any one is, only that they are received in the right context, timing, and attitude to make them meaningful.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  17. Keikai-Tsutsumi

A very good point. My own teacher always considered himself to be learning and imparted that philosophy to all his students. He always sort a better way of doing things or a different way of looking at the same problem. That constant search for that little bit extra in a technique makes for a good instructor. Better ways included better methods of teaching as well.

18. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

I think being able to adapt to all your students needs definatley makes you an effective martial arts instructor.

19. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

The title of your thread is about what makes a good MA instructor, but then you focus on aikido (I understand you posted this in that forum). My question is do you think different arts require different attributes for good instructors?

Secondly, how can you be ruthless without malice?

20. koyo

Hi Flashlock

I chose to limit my posts to traditional aikido riai and swordsmanship deliberately. As you can see we are receiving posts from keikai (jujutsu) Rebel (kajukenbo) and kensei (yoseikan budo). Should you care to post from your arts perspective.we shall have a more holistic approach and learn more.

As for ruthless without malice. I used these words simply bacause they "fly in the face" of how many approach aikido these days.

In my own training should I attack without defending my centreline I would get a strong "slap round the ear" any openings would mean a thump on the ribs etc. We would be struck, thrown or pinned to the point where we were exhausted and have to find the fighting spirit to continue. All of this was done to build our bodies and our fighting spirit. Hence "ruthless" training without malice.

As for different arts I thick at a higher level they ALL come down to fighting spirit timing, distancing , decisiveness and pragmatic technique so much of the instruction shall be the same.If the art emphasises competition then greater emphasis may be placed there.

As this thread continues I am sure I shall learn more.

regards koyo