What knife do you carry?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by qbushido, Jul 11, 2004.

1. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

As the tittle says, whats your daily carry if you carry a knife at all. Also do any of you have any combat knife training?

I just bought this today.

[​IMG]

M16 Compact EDC Knife

2. Tika

Tika New Member

Whats the length max around here qbushido?

3. qbushido

I think its a county by county thing T, but in NYC I think a 4 inch blade is legal.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It's illegal to carry a decent knife here in the UK - but if I DID it would probably be either a Buck NXT or a Gerber Spectre :Angel:

As for training - I don't talk about my knife training on public forums.

Attached Files:

5. Midnight Mist

Midnight Mist Valued Member

I used to carry a Spyderco Endura, until I lost it at work. :(

6. qbushido

those are nice....very nice. What is the make on those?

7. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

buck and gerber evidently.

incidently, i have a leatherman wave i always forget to take to work. damn those sealed coat-hanger boxes.

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I've never felt the need to carry a knife in public. Which is probably a good thing since here in Scotland it's illegal to carry any knives at all unless you can prove you have a valid reason. And self defence doesn't count.

9. Koryo

Koryo Valued Member

I'd like to carry a hissatsu but with the weapon laws here in the UK I wouldn't get away with it.

10. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

i used to carry around an army knife that was about 3.5 inches, but that was for the odd situation, such as cutting rope, back at my job in kyoto.

11. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

Why would you like to carry a knife? :confused:

12. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

I carry a knife all the time it is a tool. I use it at work and home all the time but I do not carry one primarily for self-defense although it could be put to use as one. I do teach knife work but only to very few people. I have quite a few knifes of every type. The ones I use for every day carry are folding Gerbers with 3 ½ inch blades. I have a couple of the same style and carry which ever I pick in the morning. Just to show how old I am. I carried a pocketknife even to school when I was young. Almost all the boys carried one and no one cared. We didn’t carry them as a weapon but as a very handy tool.

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

And were they ever used in fights at school? Doesn't sound like a good idea :eek:

14. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

pgm, I used to carry a knife in school as well. Heck, during hunting season or during smallbore season kids would bring guns with them to school.

No problems at all. Of course, prohibiting a thing because someone MIGHT do something naughty is really silly as knives or whatever are just pieces of inert metal. Sort of like outlawing all males as they might rape someone. Wait, better not give Parliment any ideas. :eek:

Carry a Syderco Endura II with plain edge. Like it a lot.

Have taken several knife fighting seminars as well as training in mantis boxing, wing chun and FMA. Even if you do not plan on relying on a knife for self-defence, good to know its capacity as a weapon. Makes a potential lethal encounter more defensible in court. :woo:

15. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

No one used a knife in a school fight as I remember. If you pulled a knife on someone everyone would have beat you down. There were a couple of knife fights off school ground but most people realized that if you pulled a knife the other person would most likely pull theirs so you would most likely get cut also.

16. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Guitar wielding maniac

Ive carried a knife or knives on me ever since middle school, for self defense and utility. Back then I used to carry a small locking blade (forget the model). Now I carry a cheap serated knife thats weighted well for throwing and another small blade that I use for cutting stuff and for self defense. I aslo always have my leatherman on me, I use it almost every day for random tasks around the house and at work. Ive never had to use them for self defense.

17. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I carry a gerber with someting like a 3.5 inch plain blade. and I used to carry a buck 112 folding hunter too but that was a haevy knife so I dont.
    I carry mine just in case......I need to cut something......like a box:D
    I know a little knife figitng so in a pinch I could use my knife ofr selfdefense.

18. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I normally carry a swiss army knife or a leatherman so I can cut things like boxes open. I prefer something that has screwdrivers and plyers on it, for convenience so I don't have to carry a whole toolbox around in my pocket or skirt because I invariably have to open up some piece of machinery or fix someones computer that they've nuked.

For a weapon to carry about I prefer a nice long bo [or a katana] or a pair of arnis sticks at a pinch.

I normally have a pair sitting behind my seat in the car :D

19. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

Fair enough,you can also carry guns as well I believe :eek: .
    My question was really for someone in the UK where guns and knives are a big no no,I was trying to establish why someone would like to carry a knife given that to do so is currently illegal.(Here most workmen who use knives would usually leave them at work, or transport them in a tool box rather than on their person)
    regards

20. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

carrying a knife is only illegal if you can't think of a good excuse when a policeman asks for one.
    besides, a small folding pocket knife with a blade of no more than 3 inches is still just about classed as a tool, provided it dosen't lock with a specificly defined mechanism, or flick out, or look like something else, or resemble a push dagger, or get taken off you by customs due to humaan stupidity.

other than that and a few other things your fine.