What I've been up to...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smokemare, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Hello all!

Not sure if anyone here remembers me - my last post was a couple of years ago. I used to post quite lengthy, philosophical discussions on technique, self-defence, and martial arts philosophy.

Anyone still around that remembers me?

Well, to cut a long story short, work commitments, home commitments, toddler herding commitments all contributed to making 'continuing training' an impossibility.

Things are looking even less realistic since we had a son in 2011. Neither of the kids are 'sleepers' they both high energy and very demanding. She's nearly six now and has talked about 'training' but at the moment I don't perceive her to be mature enough to get a great deal out of martial arts. She does gymnastics though, so when she does she should have the flexibility sorted and a decent start on the 'strength' side. I'm not too worried about him strength wise, I can hold my thumbs out and let him grab them, then lift him 3 foot of the floor comfortable - he seems much more 'robust' than she did at 2 years old.

I still keep loosely in touch with my old TKD buddies, I still think about going back one day. I doubt I'll grade again, I don't think I'd have a club - but if one of the kids wanted to start, well if I had to take em' anyway it'd be a shame not to train right? I don't see myself ever grading 3rd Dan though, and I don't think I even mind anymore.

I've been doing a lot of writing lately instead. I keep thinking about writing a book about Taekwondo, and I have a big pool of ideas for that one, but I'm not ready to put it down. I've been working hard on a series of Fantasy Novels which are themed around atheism and pragmatic moralism mainly, and I've snuck a few subtle references to Taekwondo in. I think once a martial artist, always a martial artist, even if you don't get to do any martial arts any more!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  2. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Thanks for checking in! I can relate to everything you've said. One thing I'd advise is keep up your flexibility. Once it goes it is hard to get it back. I've seen many people start again once the 'kids are old enough' and they really enjoy it if they have maintained some level of flexibility and activity.

3. Smokemare

Glad to drop by!

It's just sad that I don't see more familiar names on the topic. I guess the difficulties I've experienced are fairly universal amongst ageing martial artists who are finding themselves overwhelmed with other commitments.

Still, maybe in a few years we'll have a big online reunion? :)

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well welcome back, its always good to be reunited with Mappers, once your one of us you can never leave.....never........:)

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome back :)

Mitch

6. Smokemare

I'm back again! But there's no dedicated section for my latest martial art! Kendo!

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Wow, there's a name from years ago! Tell us about the Kendo?