What is your go to strike/defense under pressure?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

yes i've seen them lol. I actually think that most people will almost always use their hands first. Hence the reason many MA systems try to ingrain other techniques... not always right away, but when the opportunity presents itself.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Read some Geoff Thompson, specifically Three Second Fighter. You'll learn that it's the simple stuff that works the best.

3. Saved_in_Blood

well I guess i'll just go back to adding boxing into my routine again. The problem was always a lack of teaching around here. However, a friend of my brother in law is a 3 time GG champion and i've been trying to talk to him about working with me ... at least once or twice a week. Better than nothing.

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

krav my ga kick

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Better than the CH, IMO.

Nag him till he agrees.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

As far as self defense goes and "go to moves," I don't think you need to learn everything about Boxing. If you can get somebody to teach you the jab and the cross (all the fundamentals involving speed, footwork, power, and rotation in the hips) and you develop it to be natural and sharp, you already have an advantage over most people. Once you have the technique down, all you have to do is work on accuracy and speed.

7. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

K.I.S.S
    Keep it simple, stupid.

If their fundamentals are great. There really isn't much of a problem. Elaborate stuff won't really do the trick. Bruce Lee said it himself, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

More importantly you have to contextualise, add verbals, guard, cover, pre-empt and response.

Mitch

9. Ero-Sennin

Only if being a decent human being is important to you, who isn't trying to rip the head off of everybody they come across or wetting themselves in paranoia every time somebody comes the opposite way towards you down the sidewalk.

10. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

left jab or right cross, those are my instinct strikes, as for kicks Im fond of the front snap to the gut or groin a round house to the short ribs isnt outta the question at all.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Most people are more ready for that combo IMO. Speed in many situations is going to be key. If you can do it faster than they realize and even worse, if you know good follow up combinations once they are stunned, especially a double jab, right hand left hook, uppercut... that would be quite damaging and probably fight ending... or enough to get away.

12. Ero-Sennin

Jab, Cross worked pretty well for this guy at :38
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_G3Zo1aIjE"]Wrong Guy To Pick A Fight With! BOXER VS 2 THUGS - YouTube[/ame]

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I think a fast strong jab would catch most aggressors out in a self defence situation.

14. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Im a keep it simple kinda guy, but your right the key to those techniques are speed and power they dont depend on complicated angles or require much setting up. The mechanics are easy as well, I mean who cant jab and cross unless their muscle bound or disabled rigt. I use the old stun, stagger kill formula in self defense situations, however I dont have one strke knock out power or one strike stagger power usually so for me its stun, stagger, stagger kill (knock out,whatever). So really my go to would be more like jab, cross, body hook, overhand right or kick to gut or groin. One last peice of important info on those techniques, I have learned that technique is grand but without the speed and power to lnd them effectively they dont do much. I can practice all those techniques everyday no matter im out with out hardly any room and in very little space, when I add push ups and pull ups to the routine the power starts to come and the speed is right alongwith it if I practice those punches and kicks.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  15. Saved_in_Blood

lol, i've seen that video... those guys get exactly what they deserved. Lucky he didn't continue to strike them, they would have wound up MUCH worse off.

16. Saved_in_Blood

I agree... I have decided to go back to the very basics. I watched boxing for years and while watching it makes me no expert, I am more and more able to see where the holes are in each fighters defense and I apply that to my own.
    Last night for instance I bought a pair of 2lb dumbells (couldn't find my old ones) and I did some shadow boxing. Just the simple jab, right, left hook combo. I tried to concentrate on my movement back and forth and laterally as well. The dumbells really do add a lot of speed when you put them down. There are a lot of boxers who believe that shadow boxing is really all you need. Heavy bags and such are great of course, but they are hard on your joints which I don't need because i'm getting old lol.

Anyway, i'm just planning on doing some shadow boxing everyday for an hour and work up maybe to 2.

My right shoulder is my biggest issue with punching, so I have to be careful and eventually it will need to be fixed.

Here is a site that gives some interesting combos, if anyone is interested. http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-training/boxing-workouts/hand-speed-drills-and-exercises

I also wanted to get some advice on the leg kick and where I might add it in? It would basically be as a power and unexpected move that I could do in case it was ever needed.

Maybe double jab, leg kick (right) and left hook?

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

My go to strike that I do under instinct when Im in trouble is a shin to the mid section or in close quarters elbow to the head.

18. Saved_in_Blood

both seem to me to be a good idea. You ever work on your hook with the elbow right behind it? Very short hook of course, but 2 strikes very quick.

19. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^I recently saw someone use that technique with the same hand right after eachother, I cannot say I have tried the combo but will test it out in my next session.

20. Saved_in_Blood

that is one we do in combat hapkido... the other being the elbow across the chin to stun, and then pull that elbow back and shooting it straight into the chin in one motion.