What is your favourite weapons based martial art and/or style and why?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Flyingknees, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

Share with us.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Personally, Olympic fencing. Because any weapon style is recreational instead of defensive in 2021, and Olympic fencing has a very developed competitive and recreational scene.

Specifically epee because I don’t like the subjectivity of right-of-way.

3. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

Pretty sure most Arnis styles are truly defensive.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Think you may of missed the point here.

In developed countries, spending time and money on knife dueling training, isnt because people have a good chance of being in those situations, so aside from having the physical need, it's really for recreational or cultural reasons, there's nothing wrong with that, but let's not kid ourselves.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My son attacked me with a plastic light sabre and a foam axe the other day. It can get real nasty on the streetz!

As an aside. I like filipino styles as the empty hand, knife and stick motions are very inter-related.
    I also like swinging a jo as it seems a very common length (4ft-ish) of handy stick in the world (broom stick, pool cue, etc) that doesn't get as much attention as it should IMHO. Compared to the bo and kali stick lengths.

Dead_pool and Dunc like this.
  6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Old wu shu. that is southern kung fu weapons. As distinct from modern with the wibbly weapons. although HEMA looks fun. so much so that I am trying out a class tomorrow. :)

Kemposhot likes this.
  7. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I like the old Japanese styles (eg kobudo or Bujinkan)
    All weapons and unarmed are built on the same foundational movements, there is a wealth of fascinating cultural insights transmitted in these systems, they cover everything from knives to pole arms and provide a deep curriculum on the aforementioned 3/4 foot sticks and various length of knives that are relevant for today

Dead_pool and cds like this.
  8. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Its getting worse. After this Olympics I think foil and Sabre could very well get the axe, for anpther sport where the rules are actually reflected on the strip (karatekas or MMA rubbing hands with glee...)

Right of Way (now known as 'priority') was a common sense rule created to teach both initiative and circumspection, in order to teach duellists not to attack into an opponents attack without trying to mitigate the opponents threat first, thus trying to prevent two dead people. Over the years the athleticism and grey areas have made the ruleset totally artificial at the highest level, to the point where how to referees's call an attack is no longer reflected with what the rules define as an attack. This has led to two unfortunate consequences:

1) Fencing, particularly foil and sabre is less about bladework than it is about footwork and distance management. Its a crying shame because what drew me to foil, artificial as it was, was complex bladework and exchanges. Sabre is now as it was then, totally broken.
    2) There are only a few coaches and referees at the highest level that can tease out what the parameters of the ROW actually rules are. If you don't work with a coach that gets it, or have access to a referee that presides bouts at the highest levels, you have very little chance of progressing. It is no mystery that Epee has over the last 10 years had winners in the olympics and World champs from every corner of the globe including developing countries, while foil and sabre are ossified with the traditional powerhouses or those that are willing to pump ever more cash.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Phil Lewis, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I did used to enjoy staff training when doing kungfu, either traditional or wushu.
    Used to play around with long stick sparring, it was fun, but nothing more that recreational entertainment.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Phil Lewis

Phil Lewis Member

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, because of the adherence to tradition.

11. Zambuka

Zambuka New Member

I'm partial to the AMOK knife fighting system. It's fun.

12. jmf552

jmf552 Member

Combat shooting. The art of "Click-Pow"

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

HEMA - swinging medieval and Victorian weaponry at each other is great fun, and you also need to learn principles of footwork, balance and power-generation to get good.

Kemposhot likes this.
  14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I am quite a fan of the cane... and it fits 'hand in hand' with Hapkido, which I also love. Granted, I prefer the American hardwood (cattle) cane to the Korean lighter cane. Beauty of the cane is the reach, impact for striking, locks/throw and, best of all, being something you can freely carry without getting hassled for being 'armed'.

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Kali,Arnis,whatever.

Practical.
    Blends well both physically and concept/theorywise with my CMAs.
    Plus a lot of it is the most FUN stuff to practice.

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

A
    Agreed! One of the more practical weapons in this modern era that one can learn. And easily carry most anywhere! Also one of the weapons one can learn where you can practice some of the techniques in stick fighting sparring class. (Sigh* whenever Covid is over anyways.) I know a Tai Chi cane form. It is IMO an ugly form, but chock full of practical goodies. When I get to my next level of Choy Li Fut, I am going to request to learn a cane form for my short weapon choice. I find when I learn a weapon from both CLF and TCC, it deepens my understanding of the weapon.

This is a exhibition version of the form I hope to learn.

Thomas likes this.
  17. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I am especially fond of the staff and spear work from my Tibetan Crane training. It is straight-forward, brutal, and not overly complicated. Very practical stuff. Our dao material is quite good too.

18. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Recently started taking up De Campo 1-2-3 and loving it so far.

Very simplistic system (compared to other systems) but very practical.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

For me it's Serrada Eskrima and the first thing you'll notice is the shorter stick.

Sticks are generally 18" to 22", as opposed to the 28" to 32" sticks preferred by other styles.

In class when teaching I usually go for one of my 18" sticks.

I did Doce Pares for many years, but I always felt it was watered down somewhat for the European market. That view may have been clouded by the WEKAF competition fighting they did, which wasn't what I was after.

20. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Yeah Simon I feel the same as you about Doce Pares and Pekiti Tirsia as well.

Serrada looks interesting.