What is "Vee-Jitsu"?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Sandninjer, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I've seen the name around a few times recently, and most of the times that I did see it, it was on Facebook from this same guy in my area that's constantly challenging other martial arts schools in the area to hold "seminars" on sparring and other fighting techniques and such. It's actually really annoying. The dude is everywhere (and I believe he's the head instructor) and seems to be constantly putting down other styles/techniques to promote his own. So it got me wondering.. what the heck is "Vee-Jitsu"? Even "jitsu" is spelled wrong. I couldn't find any info on it when I googled it.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwIo2pR6pk0&list=PL77872126C5883D47"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwIo2pR6pk0&list=PL77872126C5883D47[/ame]

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

4. Hannibal

It's pretty much another Gendai system - no better no worse, but a LOT of hype from it's rather zealous followers

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Filipino-Japanese hybrid. No more, no less.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

:eek:

It looks bloody awful.

7. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Thanks for the info. Not sure why it didn't show up on Google for me before, must have been a typo, but now I'm seeing a bunch of videos in the results.

Okay, so it really is a Gendai. I'll reserve my opinion on it until I find out some more about it. I'm really not impressed personally, but I don't know much about it at this point.

I wonder if anyone on the forum here studies it?

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think so. I think we'd probably have come across it on the FMA forum by now. And nobody springs to mind. I don't know how the Japanese martial arts community views VeeArnisJitsu. But I and the people I know have always regarded it, at least partially, as a Filipino martial art.

9. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

From the website:

STEPS TO TAKE IN A SELF DEFENSE SITUATION

1. STATE OF READINESS

2. STATE OF EXPLOSIONG

3. INTERRUPTING VISION

4. INTERRUPTING BALANCE

5. INTERRUPTING THE BREATHING

6. STATE OF CONTROL

Wow "explosiong" sounds dangerous! Or is it like a really awesome butterfly-knife? :)

Now I may be missing something here but the instructors seem to have karate backgrounds (goju ryu?) but I can't see any mention of FMA backgrounds.

:dunno:

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nope. That would be the "bentenueve." A balisong 29" long.

Did you check out the background of Professor Vee (Florendo Visitacion)? I'd imagine that's where you'll find the FMA background. He does use "arnis" right in the style name, after all.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like some of the stuff I've seen of this but find the main man's (David James) presentation style and continually making his uke's tap and shout far too abrasive.

12. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Yeah I have not seen any threads on it so far here. That's interesting. I agree with Hannibal that its practicioners appear overly zealous, at least going off the comments left by many of its practicioners on several videos.

So I went home and finally saw several videos from multiple instructors. Here's what I found...

Part of my background is boxing. I saw a few guys with gloves on punching some heavy bags but it looked purely like boxing. I didn't see any variations in any foot movement to show it was somehow meshed with Japanese styles (i.e., "jitsu" which is most certainly referring to "jutsu").

As for the "Japanese" style of fighting shown in most of their videos, it's literally just Ju-Jutsu/Taijutsu. I don't get it. The fundamentals in boxing and Ninjutsu/Ju-Jutsu are completely different, from foot work, to posture, to punching techniques, to upper body movement, and pretty much almost everything. It took me quite a while to "unlearn" (or break the habit of) the movements I turned into muscle memory when I picked up Ninjutsu/Ju-Jutsu, so I don't see how combining them could be efficient.

I guess what really bothers me most about this style is that it feels like it stole perfectly fine martial arts and simply slapped a new name on it, yet somehow managing to advertise "no wasted movements".

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm quite amused by the fact they walk around with "VAJ" on their t-shirts.
    People need to watch their acronyms. :)

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That critique, in particular, I don't think works. While the fundamentals might be different between the two, that doesn't rule out synthesizing them into something. The new thing will invariably not resemble either one specifically. So, if your priority is to be faithful to a style, as it sounds like yours is, then that's a problem. But your difficulty in unlearning one style in order to look like another doesn't really have any bearing on whether it's possible to combine boxing and taijutsu into something useful.

This clip, for instance, clearly shows what I take as some non-jujutsu influences:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx8oxGrF2F4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx8oxGrF2F4[/ame]

15. Hannibal

You owe me a new keyboard Smithy!!!!

16. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I apologize, I didn't explain myself clearly enough. I didn't mean to imply that I'm basing my opinion of the two styles being unable to mesh together solely because I find them too different. I failed to add that after seeing some videos of them applying a mixture of techniques on each other, it seemed to me like they had to stop mid-fight, switch styles, and then do the same vice-versa. Maybe I could have misunderstood it to where they deliberately made the two styles obvious for the sake of demonstration perhaps?

But any way, the video you posted is interesting. It's different from the other videos I've seen. However, I'm not too particularly fond of how the instructor is escaping out of the two-hand grabs, but then that's taking our discussion down a slightly different path.

As for being faithful to a style, I would agree I'm faithful to Ninjutsu/Ju-Jutsu, but it's still too early for me as a student to be able to consider otherwise. I personally wouldn't say I'm blindly faithful as in not believing in the effectiveness of other styles (because I do believe many styles are effective in their own unique ways), but until I've gained much more than just a year and some months of training, I'm not at liberty to say I can incorporate my previous styles into my current one. If someone is going to combine two styles together, then it would make sense that they should absolutely ensure that the new product is more efficient than both of its predecessors. Currently, I'm not convinced Vee-Jitsu quite does that, although, that may very well change some time in the future.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, if you're seeing the transitions from one style to another, that's certainly something to think about. I doubt it's deliberate. So you might be on to something there, my friend.

18. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Thank you, man. But maybe. I'm going to keep looking into it. I really do not appreciate the method in which the local instructor is using to promote his school though. Considering the school I attend is Ninpo, if such a challenge from him were ever to come our way, I doubt that would ever go far since that'd defeat the purpose of Ninpo to begin with.

There is a local MMA gym though which is fairly decent from what I understand. I wouldn't mind seeing him "demonstrate a seminar" with them though, lol.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That is the inherent risk with taking that particular marketing approach. I don't get it myself. And I've happily never been associated with a group that promoted themselves like that. There's just no conceivable way for it to end well.

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I know one of their top guys, saw him today. Not to appear confrontational here, but I imagine he could give you a good whooping.

The ability to do that has merit beyond how silly they may appear to you with their spellings etc.