what is this guy warning us against, exactly?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by hux, Jan 10, 2006.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym12.htm

I don't get this article. I mean...I get that the gist of it is to keep a team around you that you trust, but other than that I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

Is it just me?

2. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Don't let your agent make you a tomato can.

What happened to him, was that he was used as a 'tomato can' - a sure loser against some exceptionally promising fighters. To get a title shot, you need a really lopsided record, like 24-0, and to achieve that, your manager tries to line up a succession of folks he's sure you will beat. The process goes like this:

Step 1.) You have a great amateur record and turn pro.

Step 2.) Your agent finds aging fighters with mediocre records to line up fights with to pad your record. You fight these guys and gain professional experience at limited risk. In Star Trek these opponents would be "LT. Miscellaneous Redshirt". As in, hey Miscellaneous red shirt guy, go down that dark corridor and see if there's a dangerous alien at the end. Chomp!Scream! Oops, now let's take a hand picked away team of senior officers down to handle the situation.

Step 3.) You get a title shot.

The alternate scenario works out this way.

Step 1.) You have a pretty good amateur career, you turn pro.

Step 2.) Your agent /manager takes any fight coming your way, so that you (and correspondingly, he) gets a payday. Smelling fresh blood, all the folks from the preceding scenario come looking for you to cut your teeth on. Your career then consists of "guy the up and comers beat to get experience."

That's what he's trying to get at.

Matt

3. hux

hux ya, whatever.

oh. nasty.

4. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

He's talking about to all of the aspiring boxers to not do what he did. That he went into the professional titles as an amater playing with the big boys or "sharks". Which he fought opponents against Sammy Mahomud 14-4 (9KO's) and Ramon Alleano 24-0 (21KO's).

He was a fighter without much guidance, dreaming of professional titles.
    He decided it was time to focus on a professional career.

So he made a clear mistake that he didn't take the time to think for what he was getting into.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

:D

Nice explanation. Normally the mention of Star Trek in the boxing forum would result in a lifetime ban from MAP... but since you did a great job of making it work... you get a reprieve. :p

6. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Actually, I'm not a fan.

Thanks. I think:rolleyes:.

Strangely enough, I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, but my brother in law is, so I'm familiar with the cliche.

I thought Shrukin89 had a pretty good take on it as well.

It's been strange. I've been able to predict winners in many matches just by seeing their age and record for a while. It takes some of the fun out of watching, except for the occasional upset.

Matt