What is the worst area to get hit with a shin kick?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by DogMonkey, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No *I* said I don't necessarily agree - I don't believe in absolutes. Hapuka posted the vid

2. daggers

daggers Valued Member

It's a fact that the high kick is what he found to be the best working technique .. Of course I'm not so dumb as to say and assume that out of every fight and every self defence move in the history of mankind can be solved with a simple head kick.
    I am merely stating a quote from an experienced doorman
    Others will disagree but I wasn't asking for their opinion was I

3. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Appologies Hannibal, oversite on my part

Of course low kick will not work 100% everytime but I bet it's in favour of betting odds ;)

4. Hannibal

No apology necessary I've misread many a post in my time!

It was having my leg kicked to smithereens that made me put Muay Thai into my game so I absolutely get where you are coming from....so did Trevor Berbick

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It's ok man. Hannibal is just a LARPER who doesn't believe in real sparring and wears Tapout and Affliction "gear." :rolleyes:

:D

6. Hannibal

Your point being...?

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

My point was that you need to start training in Yellow Bamboo, how did you miss that?

To be on topic, I am a firm believer from my own experiences that a kicker has more potential to stop a fight if he remains out of punching range. Being kicked in the right spot on the thigh really . . . . really hurts. If somebody kicked me in the thigh at a bar because we were about to fight, I would just get on my knees and kiss his feet while apologizing, even if it didn't hurt. It took me one time to learn it's not fun to be kicked in the leg and it resulted in me not being able to bend my leg much for a week, so heck with all that crap! I like walking normal.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think that says a lot about how deficient he was in other areas than it does about the general utility of a high kick. Any high kick is a high risk technique - you land, your opponent is going down, but if you don't, you are very likely to be off balance and vulnerable as a result. I find it hard to believe that anyone who knew what they were doing would rely on a head kick as their primary self defence technique.

9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I agree with you Hannibal, Daggers would need to clarify what he means by 'equal skill'.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Bas Rutten's daughter's bedroom. Because that really would be life and death.

11. DogMonkey

DogMonkey Valued Member

Good point, I was thinking if you land a good leg kick then the other guy would be limping.

12. DogMonkey

DogMonkey Valued Member

I'm only 5"9 so that wouldn't work for me all the time. I'd never be able to land a head kick to someone 6" or over. Besides the physical limitations, I'm a beginner so I wouldn't have the skill to do a high kick in a fight.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  13. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hmmmm...Life or Death? Strewth I hope not. If it was a matter of that...I'd not be kicking. Apart from kicking someone's head clean off when they're in the prone position.

With roundhouse kicks had 'success' by lamping a guy straight across the kneecaps with a maximum shin etc kick.

As he came running at me I jumped to the side (adrenaline O.D). His knees went 'crack' and he slumped against a car...More luck and pluck than planning...

Also if you want to kick someone so it absolutely knacks...Belt them really hard in the anklebone. This is one of those that seems ridiculous. But it will completely stop the functioning of that leg and it really hurts. Works fine with kicks with the heel, stamps and...

Also can work with a low low roundhouse...This takes a lot of practice to kick that low and still get power. Certainly without jamming your leg into the floor. And go beyond just a wafting swingy thing.

Also you'll find shinning the inside of knee joint really hard with a 'crocodile' kick (roundhouse that goes up and cuts downward) 'can' do a lot of damage. But again this takes practice.

You may want to look into Muay Chiaya, Ler Drit and Ling Lom style kicking for more options and answers. Most of the kicking in those thai arts are designed to put people down and break them.

The Savate kick 'coup de pied bas' to the shins or knees can be nasty personified. But this is obviously a 'front-style' kick as opposed to a roundhouse.

The savate roundhouse style kick will put down most folks too. Well worth checking out. Bit weird when you first do them as they have a different action to thai-burmese kicking.

Good luck.

14. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Just saying is all :) no one has an answer for the op

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  15. Hannibal

The bollocks would have to be up there

16. DogMonkey

DogMonkey Valued Member

For that, I'd use a knee. Unless the guys legs were spread apart, then I'd feel confident with a kick.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

They will be after the kick :)

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Generally the groin, the shins, or the head.

19. Stibbins

Stibbins New Member

The ribs are a good place to aim for. I caught someone with a roundhouse kick in the ribs when sparring once and it floored him!

20. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

yeh ribs can be a painful one if done right =)