What Is The Value Of Hubud

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by mannie de matos, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

Never mind eh! Lets try some of this Hubad anyway...sounds good.

Or do we just do that on birthdays?

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

2. Peter

Peter Valued Member

WHO BARES, WINS! :D :D :D

My Pinoy wife always tells me to be careful of how I pronounce 'HUBUD!'

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: depends on who is doing the hubad :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. kalulua

kalulua Valued Member

After reading almost all of your guys' post, Hubud sounds interesting..Although it ain't enough. Where can i get more info?

5. shootodog

from your teacher i suppose. it is best taught while doing the drills.

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Now why did'nt I think of that:rolleyes: .

Nice one Shooto, like FMA it is the most obvious that we have trouble understanding.

Best regards

Pat

7. Pat OMalley

Hehehe! maybe I should tell you the story of Lucy's 'Hubad' in the hotel in the Philippines in 1998 which was blamed on her malaria tablets.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

She saw things, many things, Got me seeing them too:eek: she even slept walked on the plane over and that was just the start. She has never taken the tablets since.

8. mannie de matos

mannie de matos Valued Member

HI guys,

The three Hubud ranges have been a work in progress for the last 14 months.
    We utilize the concepts from Wing Chun - Silat - Boxing & Muay Thai to formulate an endless amount of drills starting from 1 application going to at least 12. You also have 3 types of Hubud training:
    1. Passive Hubud
    2. Assertive Hubud
    3. Aggressive Hubud

Open your mind - survey the land - conquer the land
    I am based in Perth Western Australia.
    We constantly do seminars & workshops throughout Australia and Asia focusing on
    a. HAKARAC BOXING
    b. Knife Fighting
    c. Innovative & Reactive Pads
    d. PAA Hubud
    If anyone is interested please Post any questions on this thread

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005
  9. shootodog

hi mannie

interesting. i'm not a cma guy so i really wouldn't know but i hear that wc and hubud are similar but incompatible because of the "crossing the centerline" thing. now i really don't know much about it (wing chun) so i can't comment.

this is also interesting to me. i should want to know about it because from my limited understanding (i'm just a student of the great don) hubud is both passive and aggressive. it sort of reminds me of my friend j who is passively aggressive or aggressively passive. :D or maybe these are drill intensities/ tempos?

fma + wing chun + muay thai = sounds like a great system you guys have going there. more power to you guys.

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  10. shootodog

i hope you caught that on video! :D malaria tablets huh? hmmm...

11. mannie de matos

Hi Shootodog,

WC center line theory is double-sided.
    1. You control your opponents center-line
    2. You control your own centre-line (this depends on where your body angles)

And yes Passive-Assertive-Aggressive are intensities in drills to full contact.

- You also have high Hubud and Low Hubud.

Comon, Hubud Drills is for expression not repression.
    Imagination - Imagination what a wonderfull tool.

I have a saying:
    My instructors pass their baton of knowledge, ability, humility and technical prowess to me. I would be showing lack of respect, appreciation and imagination if all i did was re-run their race and not my own.
    I would be a cheap copy of a great work of art.
    This goes against my human condition.

12. Pat OMalley

I have to agree with Shootodog on this one, I have always found Hubud to be passively aggresive or aggresively passive.

I am still curious as to how you apply Hubud at long range, my encounters with it have always been close range.

I do realise it is hard to describe somethings just in words and pictures alone cannot give you real real feeling of Hubud, but may I suggest you post some step by step pictures of your middle and long range Hubud's in action, this way maybe we can get a grasp or na idea on the middle to long range versions you talk about.

Best regards

Pat

13. shootodog

i too am limited to the hubud that is done in corto range. thank God i'm not the only one. was beginning to think that diego was holding out on me.

14. Lucy O'Malley

Why are we talking about WC....you cannot compare the two. They may look the same from the outside to a novice....trapping, striking and hitting but that is where it ends. They are two different approaches entirely. WC is just agressive and FMA is passive with a touch of agressiveness. WC rely on the centre line and work from it where as FMA avoids the centre line. Seeing as the centre is the strongest point, you have to avoid it. Which is where triangular footwork comes in to play. (Only the most important part to most arnis styles)
    Say what?????? :rolleyes: You have lost me a bit now. Do you just mean "go with it". "Add some personality"??????
    [/QUOTE]
    Most instructors will make sure you utilise your own personality and ability anyway.

Please can you explain your long range hubud as I have never been shown this. I have been shown largo contrada's, but hubud is something I would like to learn more about. Corto is my favourite range and as I said earlier (in a previous post) I love hubud up close and personal, but I always like to learn and understand long range. It is Pat's favourite range, so I could do with any help you have to offer (in order to survive). I am not so worried about attacking long range, I just like to understand enough that I can defend it and move into close range, but a hubud drill would probably be just the ticket for me to work on.

Look forward to hearing more..........

Lucy

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  15. mannie de matos

Hi Lucy

Can i ask in return WHAT IS YOUR PERSEPTION OF HUBUD
    on a technical level?
    Is it PARRY - CONTROL - STRIKE / LOCK
    (and variations from this basic concept)
    Or is it something else

16. Lucy O'Malley

And you are shouting at me because.............?????????

I have an opinion, or because I want to learn something from you....I feel sorry for any students coming your way if thats the way you treat every inquisitive individual with an opinion.

I very much doubt you would speak to me like that face to face, so what makes it o.k to do so here?

I genuinely want to find out what is involved in long range hubud and so do others and you are holding out on us. Why ask us our opinion if you are not prepared to explain yours in the depth required to understand it.

It might just be that we call it something different or you could actually have something we have not seen before, so stop going all round the houses and just describe the blooming thing or refer us to someone that can....a link or something somewhere that can give us a little more insight.

As I described earlier in the thread (had you bothered to read it)........

This is what I have learnt here in the UK and the Philippines.

I suggest you calm down and discuss your opinions and others, in a cival manner with more detail and less shouting.

Lucy

17. mannie de matos

Hi Lucy,

I really dont know who is shouting at you. Cause its certainly not me.
    I was only asking your view-point on what you technicaly describe as Hubud to understand more to then be able to provide more. THIS IS WHAT I DO WITH ALL NEW STUDENTS. Its not an opinion but a question.
    If that is insuting to you then i'm sorry to offend.

You see one persons language is not entirely everyone elses.
    So before i can give you some details of what we describe as Hubud i needed to know if you understood my language.

Our long range Hubud focuses on two areas:
    1. controling the wrist area
    2. controling the lower Leg area

Eg1. From High Circle Kick (Long Range Hubud)
    - As opponent throws a high circle kick to the head with his right leg
    - (from boxers stance) Left Forearm Block - Right Forearm Control and Lift - Right Leg Low Circle Kick to Inner Shin - Inside Step & Shunt

Also in Hakarac we never stop our Hubud to lock or strike - we flow it into a lock or strike

If you would like other examples i will be more then happy to offer.

"In judging others - you in turn will be judged"

Love Always Mannie

18. shootodog

i thought hubud is suppose to be sticky? i mean in most of the hubud drills that i've encountered here in the p.i. it emphasizes stickiness and sensitivity. wouldn't largo and medio hubud lose the stickiness?

19. Lucy O'Malley

I suggest you use italics instead of capital letters then.

Would you not need to be in close to control the wrist?

In my Thai boxing days we use to do a 2 man drill that sounds similar to this one. But in FMA we tend not to kick higher than the kneecap, for fear that the other person has or may have a weapon.

Although we explain it as stop, lift, trap. (Simplicity to explain and teach) you would not see any pauses, we do flow at all times into all our locks and strikes.

Keep them coming....... :D

Please don't get religious on me.......It somewhat sounds threatening too.

Lucy

20. Lucy O'Malley

Now that is how I have been taught....and when I teach it I always say, stick to them, you need sticky fingers, contact at all times, (for reasons that if you did not do this, the drill then would not work, if you are not on the arm at certain times the next strike then would not happen as you would not have forced them into that move)you must know where your training partners hand/arm/weapon is going at all times which is why I find it so easy to lead into corto sparring from this and I then teach them to programme eachother into certain moves and pre-empt their partners actions where possible, which is similar to the intention behind the hubud drill itself.

We have loads of other 2 man drills (and multiple attacker drills) to cover the medium and long ranges.

Lucy

Last edited: May 9, 2005