What Is The Value Of Hubud

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by mannie de matos, Apr 30, 2005.

1. mannie de matos

mannie de matos Valued Member

Can someone please tell me the value of HUBUD.
    No philosophycal or mythological answers please.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It looks real cool.

You can learn lots of cool stuff and fill a notebook with switches & variations.

That's pretty much it IMO.

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Well as a drill, it's non combative but teaches a lot of angle familiarization and trapping/body manipulations. It's more or less a road map for all the really cool offbalancing/standup grappling stuff that makes panantukan and dumog so awkward for your opponent.

In it's simplest form (strike-inside block-pass-trap-strike) it doesn't do much, but show someone 10-12 arm/joint locks/pulls/head grabs coming out of different stages of hubud and you've got a big arsenal of techniques to use when you get tangled up in close range.

4. ats

ats Valued Member

it's great for getting those reaction times up.
    when it's really flowing you can't rely on your eyes to pick up everything thats happening fast enough.
    you've got to respond to something thats happening pretty damn close!
    plus it's all too easy to slip into a familiar pattern and let your mind wander. great for breaking the rythm!
    once you start adding switches and weapons as well as blending it with other drills, varying ranges etc. it's a good work out for your arms and your brain!

i like Hubad a lot, especially with a knife

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I associate Hubud's with the "A-B-C" alphabet song. They're a useful, rythmic tool for getting people started. The help students become accustom to working in close proximity to one another, provide some basic ideas about shifting and body positioning, and introduce the idea of flow.

Thats about it.

And much like the "A-B-C" song, you need to move beyond them at a pretty early stage in order to start forming words and writing.

- Matt

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the vcalue of hubud as a foundation tool is great. timing and sensitivity are built by this drill.

7. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

hubud

HI,
    It teaches how to move from a crossed arm/serrada position and is a wonderful template for limb destructions,entry and manipulations.
    Regards,
    Gordon :D

8. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

Within Rapid Arnis we adobted 4 versions of Hubud. First two originally from JKD and three and Four from the Doce Pares system. Later tightened up by travelling to the philippines and showing it to some grandmasters that helped to make it shorter, sharper and more combat effective

One being your basic stop, lift, trap and strike.

Two being Parry, pull, trap, strike.

Three being Stop, lift, cover and knock back out low with the crook of your arm. Ideal if you slip up on your trap...ie, your trap is not quick enough, the opponent goes to strike or stab low as they go full circle as you lift their arm, you turn and cover low. But if you catch it right you can go for the arm break. Finshed with your own attack/strike.

Four being the same as above but with the Parry, pull, cover, strike.

Known as Palasut in Doce Pares. (not the same as JKD's version of Palasut)

Obviously with increased control and sensitivity you can begin to add strikes, locks, takedowns, throws, headbutts, knees, elbows, cuts with the knife, strikes with the stick etc...etc...etc...

But you have to train it with a combat mind rather than just a drill that you stick to. It increases hand and eye co-ordination remarkably and helps you to learn sensitivity and understand slight changes/movements and their effects. You soon realise that different people move and react in different ways with different degrees of strength and sensitivity all having different results. It helps to teach you to adapt to each opponent under pressure in very close quarter combat.

You need to train it with a whole variety of weapons from empty hand, knife, double knife, stick, double stick and so on, to get the idea and full effect of it.

I learnt it as the basics in the first years of my training but just drilled it to learn how to do it to get through a grading. I never understood it until I was told what it was really for and then I really went all out and realised how many mistakes I could make in a close combat situation. So then I drilled it with a whole new mentality to discover that although there are some set moves to the basic drill you can pretty much free flow it too, chucking spanners in the works for your training partner and it is only then you learn the reality of it and it's effectiveness.

We ususally teach this to an almost free flowing point and then move the students to corto sparring which is completly free flow. But the techniques learnt in the hubud reappear over and over as they are an effective combat technique.

And I can trully say you use even a portion of the drill on the unsuspecting member of public that tries to throw a sucker punch at you (when you work on the doors) and the effect it has and shock on the other persons face is worth all the training. And the good thing is, you don't even have to hurt them, they soon realise they have picked on the wrong person so walk away with humilitation which is far worse than a black eye.

So a foundation tool is exactly what it is my dear and a very good one at that.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Like others have said, it is a very good foundation drill, much like learning you A, B, C's.

But like everything it all depends on how you approach the drill in the first place.

I first learn't Hubud via JKD/Kali in my early years. At first I loved it because it looked cool. After visiting the Philippines for the first time I wondered why I was doing it and came close to dropping it all together.

This came about after being asked to show what I had by a couple of Masters who just smiled at me and said "Mmmm Very pretty". I did not realise at the time all they were trying to politely say was, it's OK but your doing wrong.

After subsequent visits to the PI they tightend up my Hubud without me realising it, I did not even realise at the time that many of them called it by another name such as 'Palasut', after a while I realised I was still learning Hubud and it became my bread and butter when in Corto range.

As I have said, if you appraoch it with a combat mind set then it can become your foundation in close and you can learn so much from it, but if you appraoch it as just another drill, then it will be just another drill and you will look upon it as just being another cool looking drill.

To make a finer point on it. I was teaching some Double Dagger combat applications at this years Seni Show via a drill we call Crossada 'Y' Contrada and one guy who had never trained with me before said "this looks like another version of Hubud" and if you look at it closely, you know he was right.

It's like they say, A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  10. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

I was told by a women at the Inosanto academy that "chicks dig Hubud". Remember that next time your single :rolleyes:

11. Lucy O'Malley

You What???????????? :bang:

What do you mean? Have you had one too many beers or something?

Explain yourself........

Lucy

12. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

I don't drink actually,

No really.. a woman who trains at the Inosanto academy told me that, I share it jokingly because of the ridiculousness of it. Don't take it as something I'm actually trying at the local pub. :D
    Excuse me if I offended :) , no intention of it.

13. Lucy O'Malley

No offence taken. :)

Do you mean the women is ridiculous or hubud?

Lucy

14. RYO9

RYO9 New Member

Hubud has the main purpose of looking good. a secondary purpose of giving you big red marks on your arms. and a third purpose which is to allow you to be more fluent in transition from cantra to passive blocks.

Mullins

15. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

The statement that the woman made.

I once thought JKD kali and Hubud were useless than I met some dogbrothers who where doing the exact same drills with an entirely different intensity and I realized how much value in hubud there is. But without that combat mentality and intensity I don't hold a lot of value for it.

16. mannie de matos

mannie de matos Valued Member

Hi guys,

In HAKARAC BOXING we use the Hubud to cover the three ranges.
    1. Long Range Hubud (Covers Kicks Also)
    2. Middle Range Hubud
    3. Short Range Hubud (Covers also head, knees, elbows)
    The value in Hubud lies not only in its flows, eye hand coordination, angles, etc.. but more importantly its value lies in opening up your mind not only for enhancement drills but also combat applications.
    Dont mistake the cover for the book.

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

that sound very interesting, not sure if I have seen it? perhaps you can explain in more detail. And I would love to see it in action.

Question: What style do you do?, and where are you based?

You have my full attention:D

Best regards

Pat

18. shootodog

interesting concept. hubud done in long and medium range? wow. that's something i've got to see.

pat, i found this:

HAKARAC BOXING is an holistic approach to Boxing contributed by:
    Wing Chun Kuen - Rolf Clausnitzer
    Harimau Kali/Silat - Peter Baker
    Muay Thai - Tommy Burns
    Boxing - Mannie de Matos

19. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

Yoda

HI,
    I remember, I think it was Yoda, posting a kicking drill that was much like a hubud flow drill. For the life of me I cant remember it.
    I think it was a cut kick off of a straight push kick, leading to a low line leg kick that is blocked with a leg/shin, which leads to another push kick, repeating the cycle with the other player going first.
    I remember trying it out a couple of times and it was a lot of fun. ouch me shins!!!
    Also, hubud means naked in tagalog or ilocano or one of the dialects my wife speaks.
    I cant remember what my instructors translation was. the wife has priority seating in the memory banks i guess.
    Gord :D

20. shootodog

no. that was hubad (naked).