What is the most severe injury u had while dealing with MA weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Marfleet, Dec 23, 2005.

1. gpinkert

gpinkert Valued Member

I almost twisted my thumb off between two longsticks on a disarming technique, luckily my partner noticed and let me out of it.

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I cut my thumb once on my katana and thats about it. No other injuries hrhr

3. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

I hit myself once in the head with the shaft of a yari spear.
    Aside from i never hit myself with a weapon.

4. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I've been hit in my head with an axe, and have been hit on the nerve-point on the elbow with a sword (both blunt for showfighting; 3mm edge). The only result from the axe was that I lost 2 hours of fun fighting in the woods, spent with a doctor instead (i told him that I had walked onto a metal object in a barn to avoid beeing advised to sue the one that had hit me). The sword incident was from a show fight in front of a cinema during the premiere of LoTR-3, and that nerve is still not proper, 2 years later...

5. LightingSais

LightingSais New Member

idfk

My worst one would probably getting hit in the head with a manrikigusari while sparring with a friend. I was using my sais and he came to the side and i stopped them and the weighted end naiod my in my temple leaving a nice bruise :confused:

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

lets see....

I caught a face trust from a weapon that was made to safley thrust. Slammed my mask into my face and caused my glasses to cut the very top of the bridge of my nose.
    Caught a nasty hard blow behind the point of my elbow with a shinai. Whole lower arm with numb to hot then cold and it still hurts occaionally after over two years of healing.
    Got cracked on the tips of my sword hands fingers with a shinai caused the tips to get nasty blood blisters THROUGH my gloves
    HAd a friend smack me over my right eyebrow without a mask with a brandnew shinai ie it had the nice fuzzy suede still so I got a nice raw patch of skin.
    Got a smacked in the nose at near full force with a training knife. If I wasnt as good as I am at making sparring weapons I would have had a broken nose, never mind I should have been wearing a mask.
    That is in addition to all the usual getting cracked on the hand/knuckles from not using the stick to defend.

7. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I've never really severely injured myself to the point where I needed medical attention, but I did manage to smack myself in the nuts with 2 pair nunchaku at once. It seemed pretty severe at the time :D

8. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

I got a brush burn once while stickgrappling. :rolleyes:

Gruhn

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  9. I felt like I had something to contribute to this thread until people posted how they've knifed themselves... :eek:

From using nunchaku, I've hit my humerus [Funny bone] so many times it's now immune. When I hit that same bone by accident with my nunchaku now it just goes a little numb. It should cause me unbearable tingling and cause my entire arm to go dead. I'm on my 3rd pair of Nunchaku. The other two were smashed into the ground repeatedly. :D

10. GeeMac

GeeMac Valued Member

Smacked myself across the bridge of the nose once and drew blood with a nunchaku. Though I might have broken my nose, but it was just a good solid whack.

11. Chris Yates

Chris Yates Valued Member

Funny Bone: The place at the back of the elbow where the ulnar nerve rests against the medial condyle of the humerus.

;)

12. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Its been a while since I've been here!

here goes:
    Sublaxated [temp disloaction] my shoulder and tore all my chest muscles when my feet slipped doing flying tumbles with an arnis stick and I hit the mat at warp speed :eek: It felt funny so I got up and went to do some pressups where I promptly collapsed due to the pain - I thought I was having a heart attack!

Broke a toe during sparring for my purple belt.

Semi dislocated big toe during sparring with a few black belts, then my horse jumped all over it during a show and made it worse...

Got polaxed with a jo during bokken/jo training, by mistake my partner hit me hard on the head when she should have threatened my throat or chest. I was KO for a few mins.

Suffered a hard hit to the hand and little finger doing single sinawali with a junior who happened to have hardwood sticks and hits rather hard & I found out had rather bad aim too. Took several months to heal.

Partially dislocated/broke my middle finger doing jousting training on my colt, couldn't even close my hand into a fist for a week, then had to do a jousting grading a couple of weeks later in the pouring rain and could hardly hold onto my sword, spear or lance because of the pain.

Got hit hard on same finger but higher up last week during kumibo. OUCH!

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Mine would be blocking a bokken swing with my right eye socket ;)
    Cracked the socket and caused blindness for about two weeks.
    On top of that, I lose my right field of vision every now on then...especially when I get headaches.

I did see one of our mates have his pinky finger cut off once :) Well not a clean cut...but it got amputated.

14. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

To this day I'll never understand why it's called a "funny bone"..Getting hit there does not make you laugh...

15. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

The northern martial sport called "Haerkamp" (a reenactmentsystem using blunt metal weapons, with restricted target area), have surprisingly few injuries, given the fact that we sometimes fight mass-battels with 50 on each side, using weapons like 2h.spears, 2h.spears, dane-axes, glaives, swords, knives, daggers and axes.

This weekend, we were gathered some 80 people, fighting in 1 1/2 feet of snow, in the woods, and the injuries were the following:

1 spear that hit an eyebwrow, causing a very colourful swollen cheek
    1 spear that hit the side of a neck, causing amnesia and a stiff neck
    A girl getting the shaft of polearms in her temple -twise in 5 minutes

Spears and (too long) glaives seems to bee the most dangerous weapons, as they are slim enough to splat an eyeball. In october, a girl hit a dude straigh on the eyelid, but she was luckily in sufficiant controll to pull her thrust just in time...

16. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Touch wood, I've gotten off very lightly in this regard so far (cursed it now :eek:!).

The only injury I've had working with shinken was the first week I had it.

In mon iri (MJER) I caught the blade a bit too far back from the kissaki on the draw, so when I stepped through I neatly sliced the flesh of my left index finger below the second knuckle. Like everyones elses reports, it didn't actually hurt at first and my main concern was to finish the kata without getting blood all over my saya and hakama. It was then that it was noted just how much I was bleeding and I got myself attended to.

A couple of my dojo-mates have also explored the steel-to-flesh interface, one chap visiting the class of Sensei Pain twice in the same fashion - that is leaving his thumb lingering over the path of the blade when doing the draw for shihoto sono ich. He said what hurt worst was the sheer embarassment of having made the same mistake twice.

17. SimonM

SimonM New Member

Broken finger while using Bokken.

Dr Syn I have also taken a Bokken hit to the funny bone. It hurt for two days.

Both while practicing with my brother. We were (unknowingly) immitating the dog brothers in our response to weapon training.

18. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

Hey, Stolenbjorn!
    We have a matial art that is a lot like the one you described.
    There havent been any injury, and they have been practising for 4 years already :eek:

19. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Worst I've done is twist my knee a bit coming down from a back leg switch round kick, and I jammed my thumb sparring a couple weeks before Christmas- still waiting for that to heal.