What is the most Acrobatic style?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by angelX, Jan 16, 2006.

1. angelX

angelX New Member

Before I get any criticisms about how gymnastics is not practical in martial arts etc. (even though I think it is) this is for a film project, as in a martial arts movie. I would like to know which overall martial arts style would/could have the most amount of acrobatic moves/manouvers. I need to know to complete a profile for a charcter and I want things to be pretty authentic even though the styles shown will be movie-ised, if you know what I mean.
    So, please answer

2. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

wushu, capoaera, extreme martial arts are very acrobatic in nature, but tkd, kuk sool won and shaolin kung fu also have a lot acrobatics in them (it just depends on the individual) most m.a's from china and korea have acrobatics in them, japan not so much, just check out the differances between hong kong/chinese and korean cinema to japanese and you will see what i mean.
    hope this helps

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  3. angelX

angelX New Member

Thanks. I think I'll just put Shaolin Kung Fu because I have an old PSX game ("SHAOLIN") which was one of the first to use authentic martial arts motion capture and Shaolin had loadsof acrobatic moves (Wu Shu flip; windmill kick; No Shadow kick). Thanks again! :)

4. Ninjutsu has a lot of flips and rolls. I don't know how you define acrobatics. But I know it impresses people when I start cartwheeling and things.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Uhm, NO.

Put "WuShu". Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu is NOT the same thing as the Modern PRC-approved WuShu which the "monks" perform for crowds today.

6. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

viet vo dao is really acrobatic, with their flying scissor kicks and all...
    :cool:

7. paradoks

paradoks New Member

This is'nt a martial art, but i think it would really work well within a movie sequence. Parkour......espcially if there is a chase scene.
    Parkour has been used a couple of times in fil recently with good effect.
    A french film called B13 has a martial arts and parkour influenced chase scene that people have raved about. I also hear Ong Bak has a similar style sequence.
    There is a fantastic video cirulating that i saw on MAP that i have posted several times, so i wont do it again :p If you have'nt seen it and are interested, you could find it by running a search on 'parkour' here on MAP, or going to google video and running a search on 'russian climbing' and other parkour video's are becoming more and more common.
    I dont know if any of the methods used are applicable to the sequences you plan for your video sequence, but IMO its worth a looky look.

best of luck :)

Paradoks

8. dexxl

dexxl New Member

there is no martial more acrobatic then capoeira. there's not even a need to discuss this, it's point blank / kick in the nuts obvious.

9. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

they sure are acrobatic, but visit some aerial sites like bilang.com and you'll see that even taekwondo, wushu, hapkido and viet vo dao really have a lot of acrobatics that can match capoeira... :D
    it all depends on WHO does it ofcourse... :D

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  10. Zestful Maple

Zestful Maple New Member

Well, im not someone who practices martial arts, or studies them in depth, I just like learning about them for making nerdy profiles on comic book characters and such that are way too in depth, but I hope my input is valued nevertheless. Ive found that Wushu can be very acrobatic. Taekwondo can cross into very flashy territory, as well as Capoeira as people have already said. However I find Viet Vo Dao to be the most acrobatic martial art I've seen yet. I don't know why its not used in movie choreography more often, but if you're looking for acrobatic and quite flashy, Viet Vo Dao and Wushu would be my go to picks

11. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I suspect Viet Vo Dao isn’t seen much in movies because more people (stunt people) practice arts like TKD and kung fu.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Scott Adkins.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ha! Excellent nomination! :D I was all over capoeira until you called Adkins. Now I'm all "hmm ... :eek:" :D

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

I watched one of those Boyka films the other day. I've seen the highlight videos and their excellent. The actual plot is about as thin as paper it was presumably written on. Acting is fine but it basically reads like a 14 year old boys wet dream about cage fighting.

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

One thing that needs to be said about the Boyka films - the actors seem to wholeheartedly buy into what they're selling, and they give very sincere performances. The plot might be paper thin, but at least it's delivered with conviction. :p

16. Pretty In Pink

That's what makes a good straight-to-dvd film in the first place! Doubly so with martial arts films.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

GymKata...ha ha...now that is an old movie.

18. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

For good looking abrobatics - modern wu shu or an old chinese opera style of kung fu. Not old wu shu as this is a very different thing

Most forms of practical kung fu are not very acrobatic. With the potential exception of some kinds of Monkey Kung fu. which contains flying takedowns and even flying back / neck breaks.

Also check out the historical thie fighting arts - a particular movie I cannot remember the name off - about a samurai who becomes a body guard in the court of one of the early thai kings.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Response to a spam email above advertising internet dating / catfishing / internet arranged marriage.

two of my mates had internet marriages, they now both living on their own, paying for an estranged wife to live in their old homes, while battling to see their kids.