What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Light123, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Hi, everyone!
    I'm feeling a little guillible. Can anyne tell me what the difference is bvetween a bo and a jo?
    Thanks!

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Bo=6' long generally

Jo=4' long generally

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I was going to answer "About 2 feet", but you just HAD to be serious didn't you? ;)

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

5. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Which iis most preferred?

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Hmm, dunno depends on the individual really, or the system they are learning that incorporates either or both weapons.

7. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Gramatically speaking, in Japanese there is no reference to the length of the sticks used in the word. To have a 6 foot stick it would need the "rokushaku" bit tacked on at the start...Until then it would just mean "bo" or "staff" (Roughly equivalent in English), and the Jo is most commonly assumed to be around 4 feet in length, but Jo on it's own simply means "stick" or "Cane"...
    Bo would be assumed to be bigger and thicker than a jo...Basically, but without the length tag it would be harder to assume the right length for it..
    And bo are better to use for hanging washing on...Because they are longer and can take more weight I have found..

8. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Depends on the art. The Japanese art, Jodo, naturally prefers the Jo, and uses it as an anti-sword weapon to my understanding. The Okinawans would prefer the Bo, as Bojutsu falls under Okinawan Kobudo. Some places teach Jo and Bo with the same techniques, but, to truely utitlize them they have there own strengths and weaknesses. Personally I prefer the reach of the Bo in combat, but there again I do an Okinawan art primarily, not a Japanese art.

9. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

With that being said, there are also mainland Japanese influenced bojutsu disciplines which are like jojutsu, against the sword.

Katori Shinto-ryu bojutsu