What is the difference between Kali, Eskrima, and Arnis

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by The Wiseman, Nov 14, 2010.

1. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Eskrima,means using a blunt weapon and blunt words to hurt each other. Maradjao Karadjao! Batikang Kalaga :star: ...their is a certain people in a certain place.:hat:

2. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Esgrimir=Eskrima (Spanish)

Spanish

Verb

esgrimir (first-person singular present esgrimo, first-person singular preterite esgrimí, past participle esgrimido)

1. to brandish; to wield [+espada]
    2. to use, to resort to [+argumento]
    esgrimir que to argue that, maintain that

intransitive verb
    to fence

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UzIaV6-hA"]YouTube - Fight Quest - Kali - Part 2[/ame]

4. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

:eek: Now that would scare the heck out of me!!!!! Especially if Pat yelled that at me in the battle front LOL LOL

5. Mananandata

Mananandata Valued Member

Watch your back!

6. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

If I remember correctly In the modern Arnis book I had a long time ago, it seemed to distinguish arnis/escrima as the soldiers art from "Kali" being the warriors art. Would this notion thus need to be revised? It was quite an old print so I don't know if it already has been...

7. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I'm glad there was no chicken sacrifice at my first class!

8. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

There must have been, as this is Filipino culture.

Lechon Manok OR Chicken Adobo.

As for the made up marketing ceremony, you can ask the Anthro or Socio faculty across the Philippines, there is no such indigenous ceremony.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's hard to speak to that distinction without having seen it in context myself. But my gut reaction is that it's more marketing than substance.

10. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

well said, that chicken was just killed for a barbeque! They just thought lets have a laugh with this yankee boy. :fight2:

11. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

...maybe,come and go:p It is the"Lifecycle"(Kali-Lika)...where-ever I go I bring my soul with me.:hat:

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

(to) create = likha. lika doesn't make sense.

halika dito = come here.

kali could come from the old word kalis = sword. or it could describe where the word was first used kaliforn...

to answer the OP: arnis = escrima = eskrima = estokada = kali. silat in the southern islands of mindanao. they are a mix and match of indigenous arts as well as adapted and adopted arts to conquer the conquerors.

and maharlika= marcos propaganda in the 70s martial law era. also the name of his fictitious guerrilla unit.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  13. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Halika dito means "kiss here":love: ...kali is the who handle the weapon :woo:

14. shootodog

dude, what the heck?

halik = kiss
    halika/ halina = come

a kalis is a single or ******* handed short to medium sword that is usually single edged.

you're not tagalog are you?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  15. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

...ito ang kalis ko! Kalis is a double edge my friend. At puede **** di bigkasin ang (H)...

16. shootodog

conceded that the traditional kalis is single handed weapon that is double edged.

[​IMG]

17. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Kaliwaan (give and take)both sides bite... QUI GLADIOS FERIT GLADIOS PERIT:hat: MEA CARAGA!