What is TCC about?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by UIC, Mar 16, 2006.

1. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Another reason for knackered knees (yup..that's me :D )

In my case from being taught Qi Gong with deep stances that were quite vigorously encouraged, based on "you've been doing it for 'x' amount of time so by now you should be more flexible". Being eager to please, I didn't listen to my body as well as I do now.

2. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

Why is this forum so slow? Sometimes I can't even get to post due to web server activity I take it.

Anyway, the Yang family may not have been perfect, but they sure knew what they were doing imo. UIC obviously has his own agenda as TJB has said. Of course, Chengfu was not the best in the family but I'd bet a bundle that he could still overpower many other martial artists of his day (and that says a lot). In the end, even if Chengfu did lose a fight, so what?? Should we disregard all Yang TCC today? These discussions about the Yang family have been discussed ad nauseum, including my own posts. The reality is, discussing anything pre-Chengfu is purely speculative at best (even the article that UIC mentions is third-hand info). There are very few old timers around that may have more insight into Chengfu and earlier, but those are a rare breed; few and far between.

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'v_r' and ALl,
    WOW - you have really got me thinking on this....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I think that MAYBE you should be doing both - good Tai Chi (or good ANY martial art) should let you float over the ground but you need a good root at the appropriate time - I am reminded of the quote "Float like a butterfly sting like a bee" - I can't see why Tai Chi is any different to Aikido/Judo/Karate/Whatever in this respect?

All the best.

Robert.

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,
    I see it as somewhat different - I study/teach the 24 (which as we all know is a modern form - 1956 - and was NOT designed for combat - Guess what - one of my instructors has KILLING applications for virtually every move in the 24 form - Glad I don't practice a fighting form - I might hurt myself :)

All the best.

Robert.

6. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

LOL, you can make a KILLING app from any kind of form, tcc, karate, or otherwise, that still doesn't make it authentic tai chi chuan. Actually, as far as I know, applications don't really mean much and aren't really the goal within TCC practice. They may be used as a guideline of sorts, but not the end goal of each posture. IMO, if you spend too much time with the 24 form you will totally miss the mark. It's a great place to visit but you certainly don't want to live there. :D Then again, you gotta make money somehow, so I guess the 24 form is a good way to do that. Students can learn a form in a month or two and some people are just looking for the quick-fix. :)

7. TaiChiFox

TaiChiFox New Member

God, tccstudent, I wish all practitioners of TaiChiChuan were as perceptive as you :)

8. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Yin Yang

There is no technique per se. The techniques are done as a blue print. Unless you practise locks and strikes you will never know how to apply them correctly. What's more, they teach you how the body reacts and moves (or more specifically, how it should not move and bend). Once you see the body as a thing to hit with levers to pull, then you are a good way there.

Couple this knowledge of the body with your knowledge of Yin Yang, ever changing. It isn't easy, I have a hard time of it at the moment. I am just back from judo trying to practice this very thing - moving with there force and trying to change. It's quite hard when you have a strong, balanced, heavy and skilled judo player trying to stop you and put you on your ****.

Then again, I go because it is hard, not because it is easy. Once I start moving these guys, I will know I am making progress.

To go back to the technique thing, there is techniques, but I look to them as good ideas

9. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn Banned Banned

This could just as easily be a discription of Wing Chun. Tai-Chi is something else. So once again complete confusion. Practice Tai-Chi as a hard (semi) martial art and obviously you will have hold of the wrong end of the stick. So anyone on the other end will look an idiot. I am afraid you have the wrong name for what you do. At least we have student and fox here who seem to understand.

10. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Why don't you try answering the original question or otherwise contributing your own ideas rather than trying to be the arbiter of who's wrong and who's right?

11. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Yet surprisingly, I will sleep this night.

12. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

What I meant was that in dancing you float all the time. Certainly in TCC although you are rooted, it doesn't mean you are immobile. Certainly in fencing you can't be immobile, or you'll get cut to shreds!

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

well - it depends on the dancing.. if a fella is flinging around a chick doing the rumba, salsa, foxtrot or whatever :confused: (I just shake my bootie) then the fella sure needs to root somewhere in all that. Ballet even! Ever see a breakdancer ? I've seen a martial form recently (not taichi) that looked just like breakdancing. It looked like it was all about sweeping peoples legs from under them.

I like nothing better than popping out some taichi on the dancefloor. The honeys love it for sure.. but I'm sure to save the fajinging for later on

:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  14. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn Banned Banned

OK the answer to all four questions is two words :-
    Experience and Perception.
    And that is why everyones answers vary so much. It depends on what you experience (the name provides the block). And whether your perception is being trained or diminished by that experience.
    So if you are trained in shoveling cowshit, but you have been convinced it is brain surgery, then your perception is a little off track I think you would agree!

15. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Exactly, and the reverse is also true. There is perception and there is self deception.

Disparaging a particular skill set as "low level" may be fine if you have been through that stage yourself. IMO you can't jump levels to the bits you find interesting or "sexy". Skills grow out of each other.

All the people I know who can exhibit high level skills have a) gone through a process that included developing "low level physical" skills b) can exhibit all types of skill level in all types of situation and c) never disparage another person's skill level or opinion (most definitely not too boost their own standing).

Otherwise it's a bit like a brain surgeon disparaging the skills of a first year med student. Or maybe someone who thinks he is a brain surgeon who has never actualy operated on someone and never went to med school?

cheers
    Rob

16. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

He won't root, just brace against the forces. Different thing. The thing about dancing and ballet is that the focus is on the upper body, the dancing is mostly on the balls of the feet. TJQ has the whole foot on the ground.

These were differences I noticed when talking dancing lessons for my wedding. I was moving around quickly enough, but I was too connected to the ground. When I let go of the ground the dancing became more graceful. I had to move with just the balls of the feet on the ground, the heels slightly raised.

Taiji on the dance floor? Sure, but it ain't ballroom, it's too heavy/substantial. Likewise brakdancing is totally different also. I can easily see how MA moves could be incorporated and that the gymnastic nature could boost this, but breakdancing isn't ballet'. Boogying on down at the local nightclub you can put taiji into your funky stuff, I've done it and so has a mate of mine, but our funky stuff has nothing to do with ballroom or ballet.

17. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Bad example imo. Wing Chun is nothing like Taiji OR Brido's description imo
    In other words it's all subjective? Your insistence on black and white definitions of Taiji, sweeping judgements and seemingly fixed world view throughout your posting history here seem to contradict such a view, Richard. I think you're views on Taiji have more to do with personalities than anything else tbh
    I do agree. Farmer John Ding has a lot to answer for methinks :rolleyes:
    :Angel:

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Fair enough VR, I will admit my knowledge and experience of dancing is fairly limited somewhat..
    Sure taijiquan takes 'rooting' to whole other level. This is clear. But if you observe a great boxer like Ali. you can say he uses dance like movement whilst incorporating some type of rooting (in movement) when throwing punches, or bracing against them. Not the same thing sure but movement balance & strength will share many similar qualities - in any number of activities.

The acme of skill then might be to appear to do neither.. you might look like you are just dancing around.. maybe :confused:

when you have to root you root, when you have to move you move with purpose and fluidity.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  19. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi

Lot's to talk about :)

What is the goal within TCC practice?

Why will you miss the mark if you spend too much time with the 24?

I've been practicing the 24 for over twelve years and STILL can find (or be taught) more and have students who have been studying it for eight years and ditto... There's a lifetimes study in any martial arts form if you want to go to that length.

All the best.

Robert.

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I think you have a very fair point there Rob. How you practice postures or form is more important than any form (long or short) or set in itself. For example 'grasp sparrows tail' sequence..

There is perhaps for us a lifetimes work just here.. Perhaps.