What is "Tapping"?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by whitetiger49667, Jul 27, 2006.

1. whitetiger49667

whitetiger49667 New Member

I have just started incorporating Kali into my training and I have heard mention of the term "Tapping". Could someone please tell me what that is referring to?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on training my footwork and zoning. I know that it is a rapidly evolving art and I would love to hear anyone's personal method of training it.

Thank you
    Whitetiger

2. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

Could you be referring to Tappi Tappi. I have not heard it called tapping, but it is the general gist of the movement involved.

Tappi Tappi is a general idea of stick to body. Block the stick and strike the body with a very quick response, often following up with multiple strikes and fast reflexes/movements. The key movement involves the left (empty hand) to tap the hand of the attacking arm or body, or stick or anything that gets in the way. It contstantly taps while applying the multiple strikes.

This is just a brief explanation, it does serve a very useful purpose and may be interpreted slightly differently between styles. The movements/drills are translated with all weapons (stick, dagger, stick & dagger) and empty hands.

Just remember in FMA things are called by names that translate to exactly what they mean. Tapping is obviously tapping and Tappi Tappi means to tap (check) multiple times with the empty hand.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  3. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

lost in transalation

'Tapping' refers to the technique of removing an opponents hand away from either your stick or body. They say 'tapping' because in reality its a slap to the inside of the forearm. However, in training you just tap his arm to not hurt/annoy your opponent.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

are you referring to knife tapping? or just tapping in general?

basically it's a "hand check" on the weapon hand. but it's got a lot of nuiances that is dictated on by angle, incidence, and which hand the weapon is in.

5. whitetiger49667

whitetiger49667 New Member

Many thanks

I thank everyone who replies for the very helpful information. I got a pretty good idea of what tapping was after visiting the Sayoc Kali web page and viewing the transition drills video clips.

I wish that I would have started visiting these forums years ago. I would be a lot further ahead now with so many well rounded martial artists willing to pass on some of their wisdom.

Again, I thank you all
    Whitetiger

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

you mean you're not learning tapping from an instructor? dude, that'll get you hurt big time fast. go to sayoc.com and look for a teacher. if you cannot find one, look for pekiti tirsia. if you cannot find one just look for an fma school. dude, you'll thank me later.

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Shootodog is right, this is something you just cant copy from pictures and books, it is an aspect of FMA that needs to be felt to be appreaciated.

Find yourself a good FMA teacher near you, good ones will know all about tapping.

Best regards

Pat