What is MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bruce W Sims, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

MMA is the tactical combination of stand up clinch and ground work. Or put another way the Science of combing stand up , clinch and ground work as seamlessly as possible.
    That is where it stands today.
    Thats what makes it an art just like Boxing is the art of fist fighting and a science and wrestling is a science of grappling or BBJ has the science of the gaurd game.

Good, up to date ,MMA is the science and art of combining all of the above and more.

If I was with a boxing coach he would teach me the best possible stance and movement and give me tips and technique to employ in a boxing rules fight.
    If I was with a wrestling coach he would teach me the best possible stance and movement and tips and technique to employ in a wrestling rules fight.
    If its MMA its not a boxing stance anymore where all those tips and techniques will work as well ..its not a wrestling stance any more where all those tips andf techniques will work as well..Its a different thing.

What do I do now to give myself the best chance? What tips and stance and movement and techniques do I employ?
    The answer is the art of MMA.

Its true that some just do a bit of this and a bit of that with no thought to linking it up ,and call it MMA. They might even do ok. Thats more likley that they are a natural fighter or they are realy, realy skilled in one area and rely on that.
    That aproach at the top level is phasing out and its becoming more pure MMA as a style in itself IMO.

Other things to consider are the perception of martial arts, coming arguably from traditional arts that use forms and also SD or RBSD thats shown at a slow or low rate. Out of that has come the wrong idea of what movement during a violent situation looks like.
    The truth is that its chaotic and looks a total mess.
    The thing MMA type training brings ,thats important is how to do what you need to do....strike grapple or clinch,....in this chaos. If you cant do it with in that chaos then its not worth trying to do.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

AGREED! I'm in man. If we can prevent anyone from blundering about the way I did initially I'm all for it in any way I can help. Just let me know.

3. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Bingo...Ben....you hit my point right on the head.

I WROTE that post so I KNOW there was no condescending paternalism behind it. None. But the BEST of my own intentions in what I say does NOT stop you from reading into a post what you want to read into a post.

There are number of posts on this thread where people are suggesting that they "know" what my intentions or motives are. If I were doing counseling I would have to tell the person that they were "mind-reading" or possibly projecting their own feelings or values onto another.

As I said one time before, my guess is that you folks have argued so much regarding MMA, as compared to other practices, that any position not yours is seen as an affront or toxic.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Projecting works both ways Bruce. You're a good poster, my friend. But you're still seeing what you want to see in people's answers. And I honestly believe that, if you were inclined, you could see for yourself what people are trying to tell you.

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Bruce, you do realize that most of your posts in this thread have been about how juvenile people in this thread are rather than about MMA itself, right?
    I (and many others) have tried to discuss MMA with you but it's becoming clear that you are not prepared to do so.

6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Well....OK. KJ.... lets start with the posts where I identified people as "juvenile". No....better yet....lets find ONE post where I identified ONE person as "juvenile". No wait....better yet....lets find a place where I used the word "juvenile".

Now...I'll just bet that somewhere down the road SOMEONE used the word "juvenile" to characterize MMA or MMA training. And like a magnet, if I am identified as unsympathewtic to MMA in general I get to carry every last insult or infraction anyone ever laid out. See how it works?

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've had enough of this thread.

Bruce, I suspect that you started this, "what is MMA" line of questioning with an agenda in mind.

We have enough answers it seems for someone to write an article. If someone cares to write that article I would be more than happy to approve it, however, no good can come from leaving this thread open. It is turning into a bitch fest, a my dad is bigger than your dad type of arguement.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.