What is MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bruce W Sims, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Two hours, forty-seven minutes, twelve seconds.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

By a massive coincidence that's also the length of time Helio fought Santana for.

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

WELL DONE sir! I can't even pay attention to... well... ANYTHING for that long!

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

callsignfuzzy, your google fu is most impressive. :)

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

That depends on one's goals and one's experience. Generally the first week will show you whether you enjoy the training or not. And all it takes is one class to judge what sort of people you'll be training with, both in personality and caliber. A week or so will show you what sort of training you'll be dealing with.
    The main pitfall here is actually knowing what you're looking for. If you go in knowing what your goals are in training then you'll be much better prepared to realistically judge whether it's going to meet them. Plenty of people go in looking to fulfill a preconcieved image of what they feel martial arts should be, and when this happens you usually end up in a group which reinforces its practicioner's beliefs and preconceptions rather than challenging them.

6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Ya know.... you fellas may not realize it....but a little bit at a time this thread is coming around. There is still a lot of "he don't get it" but I attribute that to people having different ideas about what it means to "get" something.

How many realize that despite a lot of comments to the side, there is a ton of good info in this thread???

Now.....lets take it a step farther. Whatsay each time there is a thread and the term "MMA" comes up.....not just in the MMA area but anywhere on the Forum...... people take a page from KILLA or CALLSIGN and do the best they can to provide INFORMATION rather than caustic repartee.

Hey...maybe you think this is what you have been doing all along. As an outsider to MMA I can tell you from personal experience that this is NOT happening......and if it does happen, it occurs IN SPITE of the thread and not BECAUSE of it.

Why am I pushing this point across 9 pages of thread? Because this Forum deserves a LOT better than a lot of "what MA should I practice?" threads. For myself I can only Educate about Hapkido, Korean Sword and Korean MA History because thats what I know. All the same I don't mind sticking my neck out and catching some grief if it makes a point. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Maybe if you stuck to information gathering and stayed away from slurs and vitriol you'd catch no grief? Yet here you are again hypocritically berating people for their posting style and absolving yourself of any responsibility for your own staggering lack of manners, courtesy and respect.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

But that didn't stop you from calling MMA stupid, Soulless and comparing it to a dog fight did it?

9. Bigmikey

I think at this point we should focus on the fruit of this 13 page concoction of both brilliant, enlightening information -painstakingly gathered and posted in genuine, good-faith attempts to educate, and the other stuff, born somewhat of frustration and a lack of understanding, rather than on how we got here.

For my part I admit freely after reading back through some of my stuff, that I must have left my brain in my other pants. Killa had it right, its embarrassing. Nailed that one on the head he did. A testament to a TRUE friend is his willingness to risk angering you by telling you the truth - however painful.

But that aside, it DID click. With a little help I started to see that I was actually arguing nothing, lol. Knowledge earned painfully is often the knowledge that sticks with us the longest and most vividly. And believe me, being THAT stupid is pretty painful.

I think regardless of HOW we got here, the important thing is that we have this WONDERFUL compendium of information that we can use to educate others who may have questions in the future. And trust me, with the frequency of "what should I do for a Martial Art" questions we get it WILL come in handy.

I suggest that someone take the time to compile this into a cohesive article and that we get it stickified somewhere so it doesn't get lost.

Regardless of how it happened and overlooking some of the less stellar moments herein, Bruce raised a great question, spawned a topic which ended up being quite splendid and for that we should all feel pretty good.

Thats just my take... take that FWIW...

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I can't see this making a sticky. I would have to remove 75% of the posts and that would not be fair to those who made the effort to reply, however much in disagreement.

11. Bigmikey

Well thats why I said condense this into an article. This thread as it sits is pretty much a mess. But I think we could pull the information out of it, turn it into something cohesive and use it. I'd be willing to do that if no one objects - and if it would be used.

I mean, from a laymans perspective this could be the best source for info on MMA out there. Just seems a shame to lose this, which is what will happen.

12. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Yes....and at this point in a given thread it starts to sound like kids on a playground at recess. What I have witnessed in the past at this juncture is everybody working to get in the last dig.

Personally, I probably could have predicted that things would go this way since, like BULLSHIDO, a number of folks are dedicated to the idea that their activity is all about conflict.....to the point that it can't even be DISCUSSED without conflict.

Well.....your position and welcome to it.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ah, so now condescending paternalism. That's always guaranteed never to offend anyone :rolleyes:

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Bruce,

The cause of the friction has been you, simple as that.

Now you can continue to try to put this on all the other members or you can step up and apologise for you poor manners and rather childish behaviour.

I can't see that happening though as even now you seem to cling to your prejudices and misconceptions.

To the rest of the contributors thank you for your input.

15. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Bruce when you're a dissenter against the majority there are two possibilities:
    1. You're either very right
    2. Or very wrong

Having been following this... It is not the the former.

16. callsignfuzzy

I like the idea of having an article or sticky, and agree that this thread in its current form wouldn't be the best format for that. I thank you for making the offer to colate the data, but (no disrespect) I'd suggest that perhaps a vetting on the final product by guys who've spent more time in MMA might be in order.

There are also minor issues as to what constitutes "MMA"; TDKeith suggests that Shootboxing should be included, and if that were the case, what's to stop San Shou from being included? Or DBMA, Kudo/Daido Juku, and Pro Hapkido, among others? There's also been some desent about whether MMA is or isn't a style. While I obviously have some pretty clear ideas about these issues, I'm not going to suggest that my views are more or less valid than others, if they've got the background to back it up. I'm not sure how those issues would be addressed.

I could see myself writing, as I did before, a brief history of MMA, and common training methods, but that doesn't address those other issues. Just food for thought.

17. Bigmikey

No disrespect taken at all! I absolutely agree that there'd need to be a proofing process. I just didnt bring that up as it'd be pointless without approval first. But yes, absolutely necessary.

Perhaps there'd need to be some discussion about whats worth keeping and what isnt by those that truly know, first. Either way, I dont think Simon's keen on the idea so it's probably a moot point.

18. callsignfuzzy

Maybe. But I interpreted it as, "This thread wouldn't make a good sticky". That still leaves room for something in the "Articles" section!:D

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It'd be great to have an article about MMA but what about an article CONCERNING MMA?
    Hmmm? I've not seen one of those. :)

20. Ben Gash CLF

I see what you did there....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.