What Is KARATE? looking for interpretations

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Slownsteady, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Slownsteady

Slownsteady New Member

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of preparing an Essay for one of my gradings- the topic is

What is Karate? What does Karate Teach us? Why did you start Karate?

The question is relevant for all other MA also.

I have some views on this, and I believe it depends on where you are in your development as a Martial Artist rather than an absolute for all. But rather than dictate my thoughts, i encourage all to discuss this and put their views, feelings, interpretations forward.

:cool: :yeleyes:

Bring it on

Mick

2. DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J Banned Banned

3. Slownsteady

Slownsteady New Member

Great link DeLamar.

I agree with the site in that our MA is not just about kick punch block, but more about psychological aspects and how we apply this way of Karate and make it a way of life.

(I am also pleasantly surprised that our style is the first link in the karate links page).

When we train the physical in class, we don't just go through motions. Our senseis ensure were have a good appreciation of variations of the technique, applications etc. We are also encouraged to explore the technique, openly ask questions and improve our understandings. This includes Hand/ Leg/ Grappling/ Throws/ and a variety of other area not necessarily seen in all forms of Karate.

We also discuss history of Karate, along with strategy, psychological advantage, 5 element principles along with incorporating various character traits into the way we live.

I started Karate cause I was in awe of a lot of Bruce Lee type movies- Im sure a lot of us were exposed to the Arts by this method. I did not expect there to be such a deeper foundation in the arts as what I have come to learn. The deeper you look, the deeper the foundation.

M

Last edited: Mar 14, 2003