What is Kali?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Apotheosis, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Well as you may know if you have ventured into the beginners section lately I am looking for a school, and am interested in all types of MA's, and there appears to be a Kali school near me. So basically I am wondering if someone could give me a general overview of the art, just some basic info to help me decide whether or not I should look into it.

2. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I'll give you my stock reply: go try the school. Most schools will offer at least one free lesson. If you like it, go back there. If not, don't.

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

For a very high level overview, visit:
    link removed because of high level of suckage...matt

Otherwise I'd suggest poking around this forum, there have been a lot of discussions about Kali and other arts here.

And E-Rocker have already given you the best advice: go try the school.

- Matt

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  4. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

visited the site matt, we don't use Bamboo but rattan as training tools and calling it stick fighting is too generalized considering that most kali systems come from the blade but for safety use rattan. . theBegginer try www.maphilindo.com but I also belive that we have discussed Kali-Arnis - Eskrima indepth in other threads in this forum .

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  5. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I started training in Kali 5 weeks ago and find it absolutely fantastic, not just the stick fighting but the knife training / defending as well. I have only just started my Kali journey and I am not disapointed at all.

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Good points. I scanned it quickly and missed all of that. I've been reading for too long.

Please ignore the previous link. Grrrrr.... Bad Mod, Good Bayani.

- Matt