what is jing?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Yojimbo, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

what exactly is jing?

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Jin is a huge subject to get into, it's like saying "who am I?" and "why are we here?" and "what is Qi?". If you really want to understand Jin, I suggest you purchase a copy of Tai Chi Theory and Martial Power by Dr Yang Jwing Ming, which devotes a chapter to describing and analyzing Jin. You see you can't talk about Jin/Jing without discussing Li and many other co-dependant concepts within Martial Arts theory.

A simple answer will never cover what Jin is. For example, you can't tell the strength of a bow by looking at it, rather you must pull it in order to see if it has potential to generate allot of power. Once it releases an arrow, the strength of it's Jin is shown by the power, (Li), of the arrow.

You won't find a satisfactory answer in a forum...

Best Syd

Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  3. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Unfortunately with Chinese Language its best to post the character or the charater within a compound word.

However Jing (first tone) refers to energy, spirit,sperm and refinement.Generally depending on the compund which it is used with.In this context "essence" is probally a good translation.Usually refered as Jing Shen,one's Body Vitality.

Jing 1 (different charater) represents "Meridians" or Energy Channels within TCM as in Colon Meridian.

But you might be refering to Jin as in Ting Jin, Fa jin , Pi jin etc which is again a different character and compound meaning.
    Hope thats useful

4. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I'm glad you popped up Kat, thats exactly the kind of intracacy that a question like this brings on, there are so many different kinds of jin and the discussion becomes quite academic, with some immediacy. Essentially it is a study all on it's own.