What is it called when you mix western boxing with Muay Thai?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Vinny Lugo, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No, you don't know what it looks like

2. Hannibal

Consider me invoked!

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

What we are doing looks very much like JKD but its not quite the same. I just youtubed some jkd sparring seesions

4. Hannibal

JKD sparring sessions are often limited to specific skillsets at that moment in time, so what you are seeing is not necessarily what you think - it's like the blind men and the elephant

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Hannibal is an authority on JKD in Canada with many years of experience and application through his line of work (police force). Just nod and agree, and maybe offer him some Crisco.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Blocks, blocks, how very dare you. :mad:

JKD is at once a thing and not a thing.

Please try and understand the thing. :D

And sometimes in places outside of Canada.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Fixed that. I remember he drinks mead. Like the Norse gods.
    We totally need a stein mug smiley. :)

8. Ero-Sennin

I really don't feel like any unarmed martial art has "blocks" in it. It's all deflection and redirection. Even in something like boxing. You're not "blocking" as much as you are shifting your body to get hit in an area that's harder to damage, deflecting shots by angling your body, or redirecting them by catching punches. "Block" just seems like a bad word for it.

Also, I generally keep my stalking of Hannibal to 500 meters outside his bedroom window at night while using my 20x Leopold Observation Scope. While I do know he's an authority on JKD, I don't know ALL the details. If you want to know about his elephant thong lingerie though . . . . . . ; D

9. Ero-Sennin

CRISCO :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

LOL, you roll out your crisco and I'll watch from the edge of the mat with my mead. :D

11. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Ive been to only one sparring session here but its the same with mine. The instructor will say nothing but arm attacks, nothing but kicking and punching with the right side of the body, then the left, now one person attacks and the other person defends.

12. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Blocks, tamatoe and tamato, who cares?

13. Hannibal

If you want to get good you should

here's a tip - don't punch above your weight class, and right now you are a a bantam engaging superheavies

14. Ero-Sennin

Well, when you get a little more into things certain terminology becomes important. Like anything, the more exact you can be about something the easier it is to discuss it. Some people might not have the same understanding of the use of a word either, and think it means something entirely different than what it's being used for.

The freshest example I have of this in mind is a conversation with the dietitian I was using a while back when we were talking about martial arts. The term "martial arts" can often be associated with ONLY the eastern, traditional styles along with some pseudo mystical super powers it apparently gives you :)rolleyes:). Because she thought that way, she didn't see the medieval sword fighting she practiced as a martial art and it got us quite hung up with misunderstandings in the conversation before I clarified my use of the word. Boxing, archery, shooting, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do . . . . they're all vastly different things but they all fall under martial arts.

It doesn't REALLY matter what word you use as long as people understand what you mean, although there's always going to be one person who really doesn't so being exact is always beneficial. Me mentioning that was more just speculation with an interest in seeing the response to it by somebody more experienced is all.

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Ramon Dekkers.

16. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Actually many great athletes of Muay Thai were great boxers.
    It's not a new thing.

Saenchai, considered the best active Nak Muay and a legend of the sport had a short boxing career in the past, winning a PABA interim belt.

Somrak Khamsing won the gold medal in olympics, the year Mayweather won the bronze (they never fought though and Mayweather was robbed but anyway).

And lastly, the greatest Muay Thai fighter ever, Samart Payakaroon was
    a WBC world boxing champion.

So these 2 arts have already been mixed and in the highest level for many years now by Thais.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  17. Hannibal

My old Muay Thai coach Mick Dempster puts a lot of his success down to boxing - he thinks that was one key ingredient in his world title win

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Interesting concept but I wouldn't be concerned about names.

19. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Why is archery a martial art?

20. Hannibal

Because you can kill people with it

Martial = "war"